Too Much Protein for Puppy

Just wanted to find put what peoples thoughts are on too much protein for puppy. Our Labrador is now 3 months and she is on Blackhawk Puppy along with meaty bones etc. She is super hyper and at training a couple of people have suggested that the 30% protein in the Blackhawk is too much and it can increase hyperactivity. They have suggested I find a dry food with less protein and one even suggested to take her off the puppy dry. 

Any suggestions?

No matter what problem your dog has someone will come up with a dietary fix, usually based on anecdotes.  30% protein isn't particularly high for puppy chow.  I've seen higher in working dog bickies.  No harm trying for a week or two, I guess.

• Like 4

Personally all my pups are off puppy food by 4 months of age. But you need to train your pup to have an off switch. Has no one at training suggested that? Have you started anything like 'go to your mat'? IMO 3 month old pups can be like toddlers they get over tired and hyper, you need to teach them to relax. 

• Like 8

Did the breeder suggest this diet .?

Food can trigger some dogs but at 3 months .

Just like people who use treats with food colouring .

The puppy school should be teaching you self control exercises  and teaching calm time to its class ..

What has the trainer said or suggested .

Has the trainer said the dog is not normal in its activity level at this point .

The people suggesting it’s hyper what are there dogs like boring,scared,no zest for life .

Pups get excited and yes there owners need to teach zest with manners.

If the dog is truely behaving above a normal hyper level it and the people saying it are qualified and experienced enough to say so without it being about them pushing another brand it’s worth hearing and digesting .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 5

On the breeder's advice I raised my border collie pups on Adult food (Blackhawk Lamb & Rice Adult) but at an increase rate...something to do with being a larger breed & not wanting them to grow too quickly.  They turned out fine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, veterinary behaviourists suggest trialing a moderate protein diet for dogs who are hyperactive, aggressive or anxious if the current diet is high protein (which your dog’s is). I’ve read it in a number of places, but a discussion that I can recall is in an episode of The Bitey Dog Podcast where Michael Shikasio interviews Dr Chris Pachel. If it doesn’t make a difference after the trial period then go feed whatever complete and balanced diet you want, but I do think it’s worth giving a go.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if Indi might also benefit from some mental stimulation to tire her out too? You can use things like snuffle mats and other food puzzles you can purchase (Nina Ottosson makes a few good ones) to give your dog all their kibble based meals (as well as just treats). I used this approach for one of my dogs and she was quite disappointed if her food ever came in a regular dog bowl. I googled DIY ideas I could make and bought some puzzles second hand so didn't spend a lot of money to set my collection up.

• Like 4

Congratulations... sounds like you have a perfectly normal Labrador puppy. They are into everything, very inquisitive, and SMART! The level of SMART requires some training to redirect, and just changing diet is NOT going to be the solution... you are going to need to keep Indi BUSY.

I'd suggest that if she is as highly food oriented as most Labs, then puzzle feeders, frozen kongs, etc will be really useful tools in keeping her occupied and getting rid of some of the nervous energy - spending time training and playing games with her will also help a lot. Teach her to "go find" after hiding portions of her food around the place, go out in the yard and spend 30 mins throwing a ball for her to fetch, take her for at least 1 long walk each day... those things will get rid of most if not all of the excess energy.

Good luck... Labs are great dogs once you get past the silly puppy stage... although my 11 year old one used to just up and start doing zoomies just because on a regular basis... they are crazy buggers... lol!

T.

• Like 2

A friend of mine had a Lab, she bought her at about 10 months, her lab, Rosie, was just nuts until she reached around four years. She was a smart as a tack and super energetic, my friend walked/ran her each day along a big stretch of deserted beach. She did know manners but it was more fun for her to ignore her training, she finally settled but was always up for any excitement on offer.

Google "At what age do Labradors calm down? and you may get some good ideas.

Do prepare yourself for a few years of full-on work, cut the protein down if you feel happier with that but you have a high-demanding dog and it's up to you to guide her in the right direction.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone. Indi is doing really well with her training and is much better away from the other puppies!! She is definitely hyper but not anything that i didn't think was normal for a lab! Was just curious on what others thought about the protein as I had no idea.

And just a little brag...we have been working very hard on the 'sit at the open door and wait to be invited through'...today she has mastered it! Smart as a whip!!!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Boronia said:

Google "At what age do Labradors calm down? and you may get some good ideas.

Hahaha! I asked a vet that question once, and she said "about 10 mins before they pass away"... lol!

9 hours ago, Indi The Lab said:

And just a little brag...we have been working very hard on the 'sit at the open door and wait to be invited through'...today she has mastered it! Smart as a whip!!!

Good girl Indi!!

T.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Indi The Lab said:

Indi is doing really well with her training and is much better away from the other puppies!!

Good to read :) labs can indeed be full-on - protein or not! Well done on the waiting-at-door- training!  :party: 

• Like 2