Veterinary assistant certificate 3

Luke GSP

Hi all, my daughter is looking at doing a vet assistant course at a cost of approximately $3,500 which is 300 hours of study with tutor support. The course is with my online learning.

just wondering if any here have done the course or have any opinion on validity or worthwhile (ness)

all opinions welcome

30 minutes ago, Luke GSP said:

Hi all, my daughter is looking at doing a vet assistant course at a cost of approximately $3,500 which is 300 hours of study with tutor support. The course is with my online learning.

just wondering if any here have done the course or have any opinion on validity or worthwhile (ness)

all opinions welcome

@tdierikx, you may be able to answer this question :)

@Luke GSP, is this course theory only, or is there a hands on component? I'd be more likely to look at going the TAFE route - Cert 2 Animal Studies, then Cert 4 Vet Nursing - if your daughter really wants to work in a vet clinic, as a quick lookup of the course in question seems to indicate that it's a pathway to Vet Nursing anyways. TAFE also has the Smart and Skilled fee structure, which can work out very cost effective in the long run if your daughter is receiving any Centrelink income assistance.

None of the subjects in this online course will gain your daughter any RPL (recognition of prior learning) for the Cert 4 Vet Nursing course, whereas the Cert 2 Animal Studies will.

Your daughter will be more likely to get work in the industry if she goes the TAFE route... I don't know anyone working in a clinic who has done this particular online course, and I'm pretty sure that she may still need to do the Cert 2 Animal Studies course at TAFE in order to be able to do the Cert 4 Vet Nursing... worth thinking about when you factoring time and costs involved in getting where she wants to be in the end.

T.

• Like 4

All my vet nurse friends did the tafe course .

If you really want to get a good answer ask your vet what they look for or better still look at vet nursing jobs advertised and what requirements there asking for 

• Like 1