Do you "do extra things" for your dog when adding a new animal to the household?

persephone

Bobbin-cat  recently joined my life/household. She is responsible for a large chunk of my heart ! She is also Aggro towards dogs .
I knew this when I adopted her - but seeing as in this house no dog sleeps indoors at night, made the decision anyway . 
As it turns out - she will tolerate (as in, not try & kill) dogs who are tethered indoors, and under supervision ! As soon as they are released- Oops! That experiment will not be repeated :( Poor Clive. 
The thing is - Does Clive need more attention now I am spending extra time with Bobbin during the day as well? he gets to spend a couple of hours more outside with other dogs  instead of sleeping under the table or alongside my desk , while Bobbin gets to have free reign of the house instead of two rooms and her enclosure ....and we have playtime :)Cat playtime is easy and fun  :love: 
I am playing actively with him a bit more - and he is actually asking for play , which is a Very Good Thing ! he brings me a toy to throw /hide.That's about the extent of my play as my legs don't work all that well these days . I take him in the car as usual between houses/to the river etc -, and hold his paw while we watch a TV program ,  but am just wondering if he is missing out badly ...he gets extra bones, too. 
I feel bad - but I AM a cat person :whiteflag: 

• Like 3

Clive is a big boy now, and I'm sure he will adjust to the new normal just fine... he does still get his one on one time with you, so all is well with his world really...

The big test will be when Bobbin has to deal with the inevitable puppies she's going to meet along the way... errr! Maybe she will be a little less mean as time goes by and she learns exactly how life goes on in her new home.

T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jemappelle said:

lie next to your desk etc and be safe from Bobbin.  

She would still attack, I think - she spits & carries on thru a screen door , if the dogs are outside & come near the doors ...A crate/pen may just give her a captive audience . I will try introductions again - they have been in a room together several times  with no action - some distance apart ..I think, with time, things will improve. If not, it is what it is .Tallie was never best friends with him - they'd "play" chasey...but she would also bop him wheenever the mood took her .

• Like 3

Thanks folks - It's only about 2 split  hrs out of Clive's day , and he gets to stay out & play with whoever else is outside/be a dog /roll in stuff/play with the hose... , something he doesn't get to do much . Apart from that all is the same , but with more playtime/treats  when he IS with me.

1 hour ago, Snook said:

if you are keeping the cat, I'd confine it to areas behind closed doors during the times that Clive would normally spend with you, even if it's just him sleeping next to your desk. 

Bobbin is definitely staying - and yes, managing the two is high priority ! I do not want anyone injured!! :( I have seen a lot worse - but she is not playing, either.  We have a routine - everyone knows it , and it seems to be working ok  :) 

• Like 4

A couple of thoughts.   3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years .. is that nice little rubric about introducing rehomed dogs .. if what you have is working now, then see how it is after a little while.

The other though that occurred was having an indoor enclosure ("Bobbin proof") for Bobbin to be in when Clive is enjoying his indoor time.   THinking of this because my Norwegian, Bonnie has a lovely time when, as yesterday, visiting BCs come to play on my acre.  She really enjoys tempting the dogs to come close, .. reaching out her paw all innocent .. come to me puppy.  She actually knows how to use her paws quite nicely, but she's able to play a different game when she's safe in her enclosure, than she can when she's loose in the house with my two BCs.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It sounds as if Clive has a near-perfect life.

As for Bobbin, the time may come when you need to set boundaries on her behaviour.

I remember being delighted when my tiny, very timid Birman cat copied my larger cat’s behaviour in asserting authority over my large dogs. But her behaviour escalated until she greeted my German Shepherd at the front door with hisses and posturing then, when I called the dog round to the side door, chased her around the house and through the living room. I intervened with a foot stamp and “that’s enough”. She understood (cats are much smarter than dogs IMO) and after that, the only time she reacted to a dog was when she backed a newcomer into a corner, glared at him, then turned and stalked away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

I intervened with a foot stamp and “that’s enough”.

I am going to buy a spray bottle for water - my foot stamp may not be strong enough - although she is very smart - she worked out the routine quickly , and pesters me to go back to her room when her time's up  ( she gets dinner then)  and she's learning how to play with a little kitty Kong ! It has yummy stuff squirted in it ..and she has great fun trying to get it all out  LOL .

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Rebanne said:

I'm with Snook on this. Yes Clive will adapt, dogs do that, but I think it a bit unfair.

I have to agree.  The older inhabitants have to get some degree of priority!

the newcomer (whatever the variety) has to fit in with the others not the other way round.

• Thanks 1

Yes, set kitty boundaries, unwanted behaviors must be discouraged, cats can be so stubborn and think they have us wrapped around their little finger (paw :laugh:)

Some bossy cats will turn into terrorists if they aren't reigned in somewhat, she seems to have no fear (or a real hatred) for dogs.

I'd definitely restrict her freedom and let her know that Clive is to be respected, she can't behave like that and get away with it.  Little minx. 

Maybe keeping her in a small (soft) crate in the same room (but far enough apart so she doesn't get worked up) each time Clive comes in... with some lovely treats/food that only come out when Clive is there, so that she associates him with something good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the next exciting installment : 
For those playing at home - yes, Clive now sleeps inside- alongside my bed . Bobbin sleeps in her room next to mine , separated by a wire grille and a door which needs to be shut carefully. 
I was just getting the legs out of bed this morning when I heard that door open ! there glided in Miss B ..right up to Clive, before I could react, and stopped about a centimetre from boppin him on the nose with her head ! I'm pretty sure that was her intent - that's what it looked like ! he started shaking- I unfroze , patted her and told her how wonderful she was - and started breathing again ....and then watched her make passes at Clive as she waltzed around the room for a few minutes until I put her back in her room .Poor Clive's eyes were bugging out- and he was too scared to move !
progress! 
Stay tuned....    :rofl: 

Edited by persephone
  • Haha 6