Pup not thriving

Pucapo

I have a 6 1/2 week old pup he is of a toy breed and from a litter of 3.

On Wednesday I took him to the vet as he was quite lethargic and they performed every test possible on him and kept him overnight on fluids. All tests were clear and they sent him home Thursday.

They gave coccidia medication to use for 3 days "just in case" as no trace was found in a slide they did if his poo.

He has been certainly brighter than he was when he went to the vet but is gaining very little weight.

His two siblings gain about 30 g a day while he is lucky to gain 10.

He just doesn't have the energy they have and I have yet to see him do a decent poo. Just a little dot but still straining.

Food wise,  he is being offered human grade beef mince three times a day and has Black Hawk puppy biscuits, water and tin advance puppy pet food available at all times.

Should I offer puppy milk from shop? Or can someone recommend diet advice please.

Otherwise what can I do if he is constipated. 

I have read on a previous post that paraffin oil was recommended but if so how do I administer it ?

Help please !

I'd be removing the tin food from being available all day. Tinned food is not meant to be left sitting out. What did the vet say about constipation? I'd be concerned mucking about with a pups insides when he has not been well for a few days. I think another vet visit might be wiser and safer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I would be making some Satin Balls for him (can someone supply the proper recipe please - I just make it up as I go along and call them Puppy Cakes). I also mix in Ossol  which is a really good supplement for growing and lactating animals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sheena said:

Is he from your litter, if so how are his siblings going?

His 2 sisters are little balls of energy. Race every where and are rough with him. He just sits quietly.

He is getting around a bit and eats a bit of mince and I have introduced cooked chicken breast. I syringe water just to ensure he is drinking something.

He did a small, say half teaspoon poo this afternoon. It was dark black but soft.

No weight gain though 

Edited by Pucapo
Edit

I am pleased to advise we seem to have finally turned a corner.

Three vet visits later.

Vet had attempted to put a drip into 3 different legs which was probably difficult at the time as he was dehydrated. One spot became infected.

He is on topical antibiotics as well as internal and had has first big weight gain yesterday. 35g which is major as he was only holding at 610g

• Like 7