Flea and tick medications are killing our animals

asal

I suspect this will be in the news some time soon. I have learned of 7 in just the past two months. Two are puppies I bred, only 3 have survived but they only had one dose of either bravecto or nexguard. An 8th I learned  is now dead. same symptoms although her owners swear they never gave her either. although not saying what they did give her as their vet has told them epilepsy and neurological damage is inherited and  has told them to ask me for their money back?

Interestingly none of the vets who gave the dogs they then put down when the fitting and damage eliminated quality of life have considered the drug they gave the dog is responsible or offered any refunds?   

half have told the heartbroken owners, for the puppies. its genetic. for the until then perfectly healthy ten your old given his first nexguard chew by the vet and had to be put down, his owner was told "sudden old age onset"?

He hit the roof when I warned him when he bought his new puppy. not to give her and that I knew it is killing peoples dogs. Until then he had believed his vet.

all the ones ive heard about had reactions to their first exposure to it?  Apparently for some reason (some vets are speculating in the literature I've been googling , it crosses the blood brain barrier) in a small percentage with awful results as the active component is a powerful neurotoxin and there is no antidote.

This lady's dog the damage has apparently been accumulative.

May be an image of dog and outdoors

NOT MY DOG -- Reposting for 
Dear all!
We are in deep grief as we lost our dear cocker spaniel Rita one week ago. She was four, almost five years old and had no symptoms of anything before a week before, where she started urinating at night. I immediately took her to the vets, and after a couple of days researching (and the first vet saying it was just a stomach flu ) they found out that Rita suffered from LIVER CIRRHOSIS (end stage) and they told us that there sadly was nothing we could do.
At this point Rita was generally fine.
We went to another vet to get a second opinion, but her conclusion was the same.
But why? I asked them. Rita was never ever ill, she was so healthy, never had anything. Her breeder has had cocker spaniels for 30 years, and none of her dogs died under 15 years. But she doesn’t give them oral flea medications.
The vet told us that it is most likely that Rita suffered from a genetic disorder. Other vets I talked to (more holistic ones, but still veterinarians) told me, Rita had to have been poisoned. No liver would be damaged to that amount without poisoning. One vet asked if we had been using Bravecto. Bingo!
Yes, unfortunately I once listened to my vet who highly recommended this drug as we were staying one summer in an area with lots and lots of fleas. We gave Rita Bravecto approx. every six months over a period of two years. I’m usually very sceptical about chemistry and drugs, and I have no idea how I could, with no suspicion, give pesticides to our dear dear Rita.
I want to use this very hard lesson to bring awareness to everyone about the horrible side effects {after} Bravecto! My goal is to get it forbidden in Denmark, and I will use my rather big amount of following on IG (290K) to reveal everything about these medications. Yesterday I wrote about Rita, and I’ve received hundreds of messages from people who’ve experienced the exact same issues with their young dogs - after using Bravecto, and many of these never saw the connection before - thus none reported cases.
My vet, at first, wouldn’t even report it to the Danish department of Drugs neither Merck, so I reported it myself!
Then I talked to the pathologists of the University of Copenhagen, only place in Denmark where they do autopsies, and they told me that they wouldn’t be able to see WHY Rita’s liver was end stage, not even whether it was poisoned or whether it was a genetic disorder, and even IF we knew Rita was poisoned, they aren’t able to make correct analysis to address what she has been poisoned with.
I believe they only make these analysis (in the spine?) in the US?
Addressing that problem to my vet, that ‘how on Earth will they ever have scientifically evidence when it is NOT possible to make the correct tests??’,
she understood that there might be an issue here, and she was willing to report the death of Rita as ‘suspicious’.
So, I NEED YOUR HELP!
I am in contact with Merck in Denmark, and they are VERY curious to see registers of reported cases. But WHERE do I find these official reported cases? I guess in the Danish Drug Department (Lægemiddelstyrelsen), but they are impossible to reach - so I might have to seek ‘access to documents’ there.
And can someone please tell me what kind of tests they do around the World to see what kind of poison is the reason - IF they can see whether it is poison.
Can someone please get me in contact with the people in Holland who fought to get it forbidden there?
Edited by asal

lots of information via this direct link  so included for those want to learn more

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10222241437138182&set=gm.1805521142979672

think this is the forum it comes from?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fb.comgroupsnexguardbravecto/

apparently some are forming a class action. the chap who lost the 10 yr old intends joining it

Edited by asal

Flea and tick meds are essentially insecticides (commonly neurotoxins) that, when tested, showed little toxicity in mammals (rats and mice first, progressing to dogs and cats).  I've read that the blood brain barrier in mammals makes them immune to some(many?) of the neurotoxins used as insecticides.

I have no idea how many dogs are on Bravecto or Nextguard.  10s of millions?  Hundreds of millions? A relatively small number have experienced problems.

It's possible that some dogs have blood brain barrier problems that let insecticides cross, or that on rare occasions some odd coincidence results in apparent poisoning when something else actually caused illness/death.  It's also possible that counterfeit drugs are on the market and causing problems.

I don't think it's time to panic or use language like 'killing our pets'.  Further investigation and transparency are needed.  If you want to be absolutely safe, use no flea or tick meds.  Anything you do use poses a very small risk.  With my own dogs, I've had seizures following use of synthetic pyretheroids... another class of insecticide and excellent results using Bravecto.

one further note, if the problem is in crossing the blood brain barrier, it's unlikely to show up in the kidneys.

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 2

I do follow a couple of the FB sites that post stories of dogs that have apparently reacted to flea and tick meds. Seizures seem to be the most common reaction. 

The group's are also fully against vaccinations also which is concerning to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
there are three products with this ingredient Bravecto, Nexguard and Simpparica (or spelling similar?)
ADMIN AWARENESS POST
Per a well known vet: "Some good news on possibly helping isoxazoline impacted dogs. There is a theory out that high fat ingestion, cheese and/or coconut oil binds the isoxazoline that attaches to nerve and brain cells." See notes below from a top vet who wishes to remain anonymous-
“Suggests fat-globule forming in the bloodstream (such as cheese) in case residually-bound Fluralaner molecules in the animal's body (particularly in nerve/brain tissues) might yet be coaxable to partition out of those tissues' cells and be excretable.
To achieve higher fat levels, the dog can eat cheese with each meal and/or take coconut oil in food or treats (but, it's high fat so use in moderation). Some dogs may be intolerant of cow milk/cheeses, so sheep or goat cheese could be tried.
Based upon the size of the pet: Use Whole Milk Cheese & common sense ! ·
Less than 10 pounds -- 1/2 slice or 1/4 inch block ·
10-15 pounds, 3/4 slice or 1/ 3 inch block ·
15-25 pounds, 1 slice or 1/ 2 inch block ·
25-40 pounds, 1.5 slices or 3/4 inch block ·
40-65 pounds, 2.0 slices or 1 inch block ·
65-80 pounds, 2.5 slices or 1.5 inch block ·
80 + pounds, 3 – 3.5 slices or 2-2.5 inch block etc
At this time, this is theoretical and being suggested in an attempt to help isoxazoline impacted dogs. “

although one poster has had no posative benefit to their affected dog

Wish it was true, but it did not make a difference for our boy. He had a tea spoon of coconut oil with breakfast and ended up with seizures and nothing made it better.

Edited by asal

• 1 month later...

This video is remarkably similar to the description I was given during a panicked call from a family with one of mine, they woke up to him fitting and foaming. Their vet told them my dogs must have epilepsy in the lines and to send me the vet bills .

the vet had given him nexguard at the checkup and last vaccination, they though he was giving him a treat, until they saw the bill included the nexguard ,   

so beware if you breed , the vets are sending the blame to you even though have never had this happen in 42 years, that is until bravecto, nexguard and this related product the dog in the video was given came onto the market.

apparently there is another product?  starts with an A and has Plus after it, the same ingrediant as the previous 3 has been added to it. cant remember the name so make sure you read the packet

Edited by asal

A NOTE ABOUT TICK-BORNE DISEASES, AND WHY CHEMICALS LIKE BRAVECTO, NEXGARD, ETC., DO NOT PREVENT THEM :
We have seen a lot of our members posting about concern regarding tick disease transmission (Lyme disease, Ehrlichiosis, Anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Babesiosis, Bartonellosis, and Hepatozoonosis) to their dogs. We have also seen a lot of our members mention that their vets suggest Bravecto, Nexgard, Simparica, etc., to prevent tick-related illness. In many cases, that is why some of our members purchased these products in the first place. But please note — the only way these chemicals work on ticks is as follows: The tick attaches to your dog, and the chemical flea/tick "preventative" that your dog has taken eventually kills the tick.
According to petsandparasites.org, disease transmission is as follows: "Ticks attach to your dog by inserting their mouthparts into your dog's skin. Many ticks also produce a sticky, gluelike substance that helps them to remain attached. After attaching to your dog, ticks begin feeding on your dog's blood. The places where ticks attach can become red and irritated."
Since the only way these chemical preventatives (Bravecto, Nexgard, etc.) work is by killing the tick AFTER IT HAS ALREADY ATTACHED TO YOUR DOG, these products DO NOT PREVENT tick disease. These products do not REPEL ticks.
While it can take from 24 to 48 hours for a tick to spread Lyme disease from the time it attaches to a dog, it can take just 2 hours for a tick to spread Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever to a dog after attachment. For other tick-borne diseases, it can take even just minutes. (This link is useful to find out more about transmission times: https://www.consumerreports.org/.../how-quickly-can-an.../ )
There are only two ways to prevent transmission of tick disease: *REPEL ticks that exist in the environment, to stop them from attaching to your dog (using naturally based, toxin-free products)
*Ensure the environment itself is tick-free. (Spray yard with natural products like Wondercide, Cedarcide, Vet's Best Yard Sprays, or other toxin-free products, if necessary. Include plants in your environment that are known to deter ticks {https://happydiyhome.com/plants-that-repel-ticks/} Of course *ALWAYS* first check to make sure the plants you choose are NOT toxic to dogs. Avoid regular chemical lawn pesticides/insecticide, as they contain known carcinogens.)
There are many reasons to avoid these chemical flea/tick "preventative" products, as is seen here on a daily basis through the heart-wrenching stories of beloved furry family members suffering as a result of their use. But in addition, their lack of ability to prevent tick disease — a very important goal for any pet parent — is yet another reason to seek out natural, toxin-free alternatives.
May be an image of dog and text that says "WHERE το CHECK YOUR PET FOR TICKS IN AND AROUND THE EARS AROUND THE THETAIL TAIL AROUND THE EYELIDS UNDER THE COLLAR BETWEEN THE BACK LEGS UNDER THE FRONT LEGS BETWEEN THE TOES 293332-A CDC"

21 hours ago, asal said:

Another death reported on FB

May be an image of cat and indoor

tSpotnsor4efghd  · 
With such sadness and a heavy heart I have to report our ZZ is gone. Didn’t even get say goodbye. On Wednesday 5/19/21 he had a Vet visit. He was a 5 month old kitty with no known health issues. I thought he had allergies or something bc he sneezed a few times. However he was a hunter and lived in the sticks so it may of been just pollens? The Vet checked him out gave him a couple of shots and prescribed an antibiotic for him. Then with out asking the Vets tech put flea & tick drops on him. I ask what are you doing? What is that? I was told it’s Bravecto, 3 month flea & tick treatment. (A $50 charge!!) I took ZZ home and with in hours he was way worse. Not eating or drinking, very vocal outcries, moaning like never before, urinating everywhere, acting like he didn’t want to be touched paranoid, weak and couldn’t walk and couldn’t even stand on his hind legs with support, heavy breathing, panting like. So got him to the Vet on 5/20/21. They did a flush with IV fluids and drew blood for labs. He remained there in their care. When the labs came in they called it acute kidney failure! They said it was due to some sort of chemical or trauma. The only exposure to chemicals was the Bravecto they put on him. He passed while in their care on 5/22/21.
When I went to pick him up on 5/25/21 the tech said that she and the Vet couldn’t explain or answer what had happened and they themselves were shocked at his rapid decline! So thankful for the short time this amazing lil fur baby and precious soul had with our family. I’ve been a kitty person my whole life and have owned and cared for several in the past 35 years and honestly speaking he was the sweetest, most friendly, even and mild tempered one yet.

• Exactly what happened to a puppy I bred, he went to the vet for his next vaccination. the vet gave him what they thought was a treat for being a good boy. when they paid the bill, the "treat" was a nexguard chew. He began fitting the next night. I have been warning all new owners never to give the three in that killer neurotoxin group. Maybe its the vets way to overcome dropping sales? do them without telling the mug owners?

Edited by asal

Didnt realise so many products have it in them? Latest fb warning post I just saw.

Don't use these horrible and damaging drugs on your pets. NEVER! THEY ARE POISON THAT WILL CAUSE TERRIBLE HARM TO THEM

May be an image of cat, dog and text

A recent peer-reviewed study shows flea & tick products using the potent pesticide, Isoxazoline cause a reaction in 2 OUT OF 3 DOGS!
Reactions include seizures, behavioural issues, muscular/balance issues, and even death.
The pesticide can be found in products like: NEXGARD, NEXGARD SPECTRA, BRAVECTO, SIMPARICA, CREDELIO, REVOLUTION PLUS, and others.
This pesticide is so powerfully potent that it starts killing within two hours after administration! In fact, it kills 98.7% of newly arriving fleas within 24 hours! Because of this, Isoxazoline drugs now carry a warning on their labels in both the U.S. and Canada. Even the FDA-U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning statement for veterinarians and pet parents.
Facebook Live Sunday at 10am ET on The Forever Dog page to discuss the new study with Judy Morgan D.V.M, a veterinarian involved in the new peer-reviewed paper.️

Edited by asal

If I didn't use Nexgard on my dogs, I would not have any dogs by now.  Maybe the problem happens when people overdose them.  I buy the biggest tablet & divide it in half, so they are only just getting the correct amount.  I live in a bad tick area & I havn't seen a tick on them since I started using Nexgard & I have never had a problem with it affecting my dogs. You can search all you like to find & remove ticks, but you will never find the ones that get down in the ears or in the anus or in the mouth.  It is all very good for people to come on here & scaremonger about these things, but obviously they don't live in a tick area

• Like 5

Asal, very little of what you have written makes any scientific sense. You cannot remove substances from the bloodstream by feeding cheese, ffs. And the speed at which a substance kills invertebrates tells you nothing about effects on mammals. 

• Like 2

On 04/06/2021 at 8:44 PM, Selkie said:

Asal, very little of what you have written makes any scientific sense. You cannot remove substances from the bloodstream by feeding cheese, ffs. And the speed at which a substance kills invertebrates tells you nothing about effects on mammals. 

no idea who you are talking about, I never said anything about cheese.

went checking, thats in a post I copied written by and owner frantic to try and save their pet. 

• Author
  •  
Posted April 12 (edited)

(considering the blood brain barrier once crossed, there is no antidote for this drug. if enough gets through death is inevitable. all you can do is pray its not enough to kill.) Lots of speculation about why does it cross the blood brain barrier in some dogs and cats, but not others)

well three pups are dead that were bred by my friend after being given bravecto, one survived.

that was when bravecto was first the new new beaut better than anything else on the block when it was released.

since that happened to my friends litter, ive warned anyone who bought a puppy from me so at least they will know what to expect if they use it.

have been lucky until now.  this year two pups I bred have died now, in both cases the vets have told the owners its my fault?

Interesting that.

one chap had his full of life no health problems, ten year old dead in a week after his vet gave him nexguard. all the standard reaction, drooling fitting and brain damage. the vet denies the nexguard was responsible.  As you said no scientific evidence. just coincidence all three are dead? no prior health problems

I well know how stressful ticks are, you also need to look in ears and up inside the nose too. been there there too.

well the dead ones will never get ticks again.

just as all my dead himalayan kittens will never get sick or ticks, I am still furious that neither the vaccine manufacturer or my vet owned up it was a faulty batch of vaccine that killed them let alone return what I paid for the doses that killed them as for compensation for 8 beautiful kittens with their whole life ahead of them, that were worth.

$1800 each. interesting how quickly vets tell you to sue the owner if something goes wrong with a pup but the silence is deafening when they kill you pet? Was sheer fluke I learned about the faulty batch that killed 600 cats and kittens before the remainder was recalled.

Link to someone suing them in the US

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/pet/bravecto-class-action-says-meds-arent-safe-for-pets/

There is an FDA list of dosages per year and  percentage of deaths. So the FDA is aware a percentage are affected

but lost the page and now cant refind it.

will post when I do.

Edited by asal

I made the initial post because as the FDA noted.  Pet owners need to make an informed decision. 

That some dogs and cats will have reactions to this drug.

Thus it is then their decision to decide if they wish to do so. Knowing that some do die.

Its no different to the years ago when vets began using injectable Ivomec although it was not passed as safe to use in horses.  On average one to three out of a hundred can die or be very ill.

My friend ran an agistment place. There were 113 horses on the property, all agistee's agreed to the vet injecting the wormer into their horse.  They were watched for any reactions then released back into their paddocks.  Next morning two were found dead and my friends filly was very off her feed and ill, she took three weeks to recover.

My own vet for over two years refused to administer it because he considered the risk too high, but after losing lots of clients who wanted it done, Did do horses for clients who were prepared to take the risk.   I even asked him to do my stallion True Blue as he hated both the tube drench and worming paste.  We only did it the once, he scared they daylights out of both of us. Staggering to the side and choking for what seemed like forever just as the vet removed the needle.   In his case it turned out he really was choking, he had been munching some feed to keep him interested in other than the injection and stupid choked on the chaff.   But my vet said he had two literally drop dead after the  injection. both had been very old and their owners were prepared to risk it.  As for my vet, he found any death very traumatic personally.  He hated having to do it even though when he first gave up and began administering it he had done over 200 and was beginning to think maybe the deaths had been unrelated after all,  before one died.

To many its just routine practice.

still have not found the list I lost but this is the FDA link warning pet owners to be aware of the possible side affects before they make the decision to use the product

Issued 2020

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-health-literacy/fact-sheet-pet-owners-and-veterinarians-about-potential-adverse-events-associated-isoxazoline-flea

This one seems to be in bigger print, but cant find the issue date

https://blog.theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com/fda-fleas/

Edited by asal

• 2 weeks later...

From the second article :"these products continue to be safe and effective for the majority of animals". 

From the first "The FDA considers products in the isoxazoline class to be safe and effective for dogs"

Of course there is some risk. Everything has risks. You have to weigh up the risks, and in my area, the risk from ticks is high.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2021 at 9:38 PM, Selkie said:

From the second article :"these products continue to be safe and effective for the majority of animals". 

From the first "The FDA considers products in the isoxazoline class to be safe and effective for dogs"

Of course there is some risk. Everything has risks. You have to weigh up the risks, and in my area, the risk from ticks is high.

The problem lies with the people who did not realise they had any risks to weigh up and lose the plot when its their pet that is the unlucky one.

The fact a percentage of vets do not give them that information at all , then what gets me is some tell the heartbroken owners that "its the breeders fault? Demand a refund or replacement."

another reason to give up breeding, yet people need pets and somehow i don't think domestic dogs and cats or we who love them would be thrilled about PETA planning their extinction.

Doubt it? 

it has its own thread in the news section.

interestingly no one has bothered to make a comment, why? because even here the chant is to adopt not shop.

with no realisation if all breeding is eliminated, surprise, surprise there went even be any for the rescues .  As for the vets who think the only good pet is a desexed one, wonder where they think their clients will find a pet in the future? Let alone any clients , perhaps go back to uni and acquire Dr, to add to  their BV.Sc

A quick squizz of adoption offers isn't a promising list of  breeds to be found.

Suspect in future if you have a loved pet, keep saving up to have it cloned if you dont want to end up on a massive waiting list or cant even find a waiting list.   Barbara Striesand did just that when she lost her favourite dog.  

Interesting future

Edited by asal

• 2 weeks later...

finally found the FDA stat figures.  if everyone had access to them then at least then you have the opportunity to make your decisions knowing these figures.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

image.thumb.png.8ebcdea61092781281883266f1b1860a.png

Edited by asal

It would be helpful to know the total number of administrations , so that the %ages could be compared.

It's also a consideration that the US does not have paralysis ticks, although they do have erlichiosis.

It's a risk/benefit decision that needs to be made having regard to the consequences of use or non use in particular locations and circumstances.

• Like 1