Should dogs wear raincoats?

Rosek

I’ve read conflicting articles and am not sure if my chocolate lab should wear a raincoat on walks when it’s raining. He’s also in training for reactivity, I say that because I read in an article that making them wear a raincoat can make them feel threatened. Any advice? 

I have Greyhounds and while mine wear coats for warmth, they never wear raincoats. Mind you they are never out in heavy downpours but drizzle and light rain yeah they are out in that. My breed does not have a double coat nor have they ever been bred for water work, unlike your lab. I would not put a rain coat on a lab. Any questions regarding his reactivity should be put to your trainer. They are the ones working with the dog and see him in action.

• Like 5

Let’s look at it another way whilst they may be a water breed at some stage in life they get old and drying off isn’t as simple and easy .

This doesn’t mean they live in a coat but circumstances may making a coat a good option if running through the heavy rain to a vet appointment ,a toilet run on a icy cold miserable day .

I don’t think it’s a yes / no answer but it can be a good tool at the right moment .

• Like 4

As said- speak with your trainer re: the reactivity and use of a coat . 
if there is a chance of dog getting soaked thru and remaining damp- then a raincoat is sensible,. If there is a light shower and moisture can be wiped off ( NOT rubbed in ) then no coat needed :)

• Like 3

My two don’t have coats on to empty at home because it’s a quick dash and back in and they have some tree cover, but they do at training etc because we have to walk around to empty. If I take them to the field to stretch and sniff they wear one, but if I were to play fetch or something they don’t as they’ll get hot. My GSD has a long coat and wears one so I don’t have to deal with trying to dry him, my Malinois has a smooth coat and very little fat and thinks nice days that are mid-20s with a breeze are cold, so she wears one because she takes too long to warm back up. 

Labs are built to go into icy waters, but a walk around the block in the rain isn’t producing the same heat as swimming, so if you think he’s still chilled after a good towelling, it may be an option. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My dogs have raincoats because I'm not a huge fan of a house full of wet and smelly dogs. Some dogs can be easily unsettled by "clothes". I have two such dogs, and both of them tolerate the raincoats, but sometimes it's a matter of getting the right design. Some are more restrictive than others. I would opt for least restrictive, most quiet, and lightest. How you prioritise those features depends on your dog. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have two at opposite ends of the spectrum.  Mia is a fashionista and loves her raincoat, her jacket and her woolies - no problems.  My old Andy even hates a blanket over him let alone dog clothing of any kind - he's a miserable little fella if he's 'dressed'.   So whatever works, your dog tolerates and is practical. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, persephone said:

Not all of them, and with some dogs, getting wet and cold is not good for their health :(

that's makes me sad. My dog loves water! he always jump first in the pool whenever we go swimming