Is this normal with Maleseb?

giraffez

I brought a bottle of Maleseb after seeing great reviews with itching and washed my dog with it on Sunday.  I made sure I rinsed him thoroughly.  After the bath, I noticed him scratching even more than usual.    To the point he was scratching every couple of seconds. He was clearly irritated and had dandruff appear.  I rubbed him with coconut oil and then later QV and also gave him an antihistamine for some relief.  It didn't really do much for him that night, but he went to sleep unbothered so I just let him be and assess whether I needed to take him in to a vet the next day. 

Lo and behold the next day, I noticed the itching has lessened and as time went on, it progressively got better, to the point I didn't even see him scratch once today.:happydance2: Before the bath he was still scratching occasionally.

I'm just thinking whether this is normal for Maleseb in that it gets worst before it gets better?  Antihistamine usually doesn't rid the itching for him nor do the topical creams.  Or was this an allergic reaction with Maleseb - but that doesn't explain why he is suddenly better.

Malaseb is good but it is drying, if your dog is just itchy and doesn’t have a skin condition you would be better off using Aloveen, I would also get the Aloveen conditioner and use it after every bath, rub a small amount through the coat/skin then rinse lightly so you don’t wash it all off.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rebanne said:

My vet told me it was important to use a very good conditioner after bathing with Malaseb as it's so drying to the skin.

I used to use the aloveen conditioner but didn’t find it moisturing enough and so the vet told me to use qv which was better.  And then I found coconut oil which was even more moisturising and has anti oxidants so I started using those instead

Why are you using Malayan though ,it’s not for all issues .

We bath our minis and recommend selsum blue .

I only use the F10 on a dog with yeast issues .

Edited by Dogsfevr

19 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Why are you using Malayan though ,it’s not for all issues .

Itchiness, reviews online seem to suggest it’s very effective treating itch.  Plus a few weeks ago, his body had small spots of scabs appear.  Once it falls off, it reappears again.  I took him to the vet but my vet said we should pause the treatment for his itch because he was going through something with his nose which was more severe and the medication to treat the itch would contradict with scoping procedure.  It must have been a steroid I believe.  Effective but short lived.

I use F10 on Wee Maxi about every 3rd or 4th wash, I bath him a day or two after her gets his oiling with Keri oil and Calendula. After he is dry I sprinkle some home-made Curash  (it's much cheaper to make your own if you use it frequently) on his black areas, the oil stops him scratching as the F10 kills the fungal infection and he gets flakes of black dandruff which irritate him. The Curash settles his itchy skin down and it helps with making his skin a healthier pink colour. 

Curash is Zinc oxide and cornflour so easy to make.

perhaps just sprinkle the Curash on his scabby/itchy bits

• Like 1