All wormer tablets?

Gelato

I am trying to find all wormer tablets for my puppy. I found out that Nexgard Spectra and similar products can have very serious side effects.
Drontal all wormer tablets also had bad reviews and warnings from dog owners, however I understand that it is only a small percentage of the dogs that gets ill.
Which product is safe to use?

I used Milbemax all wormer tablets. Meds like Nexgard Spectra are multi purpose and not always needed IMO. I use an all wormer about 3 times a year, flea treatment once or twice over summer and monthly heartworm tablets. I try to give them all on separate days though I confess to getting lazy as I've got older and am now using an all in one 2 or 3 times a year for fleas and worms. Heartworm is still monthly of course.

• Like 1

Your vet or vet nurse can recommend products suitable for your dog and circumstances. There’s no obligation to buy from them. What some of us give may not be suitable for your dog and situation, and vice versa.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in the xyz will kill your dog dialogue. What happened when Nexgard and Bravecto came out was the numbers of dogs getting sick from +/- dying from ticks plummeted. Their products are contraindicated for some individuals but not most.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gelato said:

I am trying to find all wormer tablets for my puppy. I found out that Nexgard Spectra and similar products can have very serious side effects.
Drontal all wormer tablets also had bad reviews and warnings from dog owners, however I understand that it is only a small percentage of the dogs that gets ill.
Which product is safe to use?

There seems to be a cadre of anti-chemical folks out there...like the anti-vaxxers.  I'd do a critical review.  If there are 100 serious side effects reported and 10,000,000 dogs getting the stuff, I wouldn't worry.  

A wormer, by definition, is a poison that has been extensively tested for toxicity to mammals/dogs.  Reported side effects can be due to

1. Dogs with some mutation that makes them vulnerable

2. Coincidence, and people looking for something to blame

3. Counterfeit drugs.

In selecting wormers, it's important to know what works you need to guard against.  Heartworm, tapeworm, and various other worms require different treatment.  Ask your vet.

Edited by sandgrubber
Moore thoughts
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

There seems to be a cadre of anti-chemical folks out there...like the anti-vaxxers.  I'd do a critical review.  If there are 100 serious side effects reported and 10,000,000 dogs getting the stuff, I wouldn't worry.  

A wormer, by definition, is a poison that has been extensively tested for toxicity to mammals/dogs.  Reported side effects can be due to

1. Dogs with some mutation that makes them vulnerable

2. Coincidence, and people looking for something to blame

3. Counterfeit drugs.

In selecting wormers, it's important to know what works you need to guard against.  Heartworm, tapeworm, and various other worms require different treatment.  Ask your vet.

Which is a much bigger problem than I thought it was until a friend was trying to buy products online for family overseas and every single one on their version of Amazon was counterfeit. :eek:

Do not buy cheap stuff off eBay!!

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1