Buying vet prescribed medication from chemist

giraffez

49 minutes ago, jemappelle said:

You pay the non PBS price ie, full price for the medication.  I've had to do it on a few occasions.  Often it works out cheaper than getting them from your vet.

Right thanks.  Does the vet have an issue writing you a prescription seeing they also stock the meds?

We get scripts from our vet to be filled at the chemist all the time.  It's much cheaper than buying from the vet.

The only problem we had was with Chemist Warehouse who insisted the script be hand written.  So we don't use them.  Other chemists will accept typed script with hand written signature.

When you get the script check with the vet if you need any repeats added to it to save you going back to the vet.

• Like 2

No. 

Often we just ring & ask for a repeat & pick it up from the vet free of charge.  We also get scripts for vet medication from our vet & have them filled at Petceutics etc.   It's half the price the vet charges.

• Like 2

The script price some vets charge means it’s still cheaper to buy from the clinic .

For certain meds it’s not viable for the vet to stock so the script option works well for them with expiry dates etc.

Mobile vets seem a better option for scripts also phoning other clinics to potentially see what they charge for the meds can also help .

Its hard to get scripts like the past but we never had issues ,it’s legal and chemist told for the dogs which I hope they realise as it’s got the vet clinic on the paperwork .

There is also the online med buying option for animals with script but again postage bumps it up 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

thanks everyone, i had my script filled today and i can't believe how much of a markup SASH charges.

I previously had panadol dispensed at the hospital and was change about $28, at the chemist it's $8!  Its a bit offputting how much of a markup is placed on such common medication.  I know they have a business to run but at these prices it feels that they try to suck as much out of you while your pet is sick and you really have no alternative at that moment.  I rather they make their doctor's consult fees higher (not that its already not high enough) but for things like panadol, I felt a bit dissapointed that it was so much.

I was even more dissapointed today when i got my meds dispensed and realised how bigger of a gap it is for not so common household meds.  I was charged about $8 a tablet at SASH while the one I got today at the chemist was 40cent per tablet.  So $160 for 20 tablets while chemist charged $8.  Even if i add on a prescription fee it's not that much!

Edited by giraffez

On 16/04/2021 at 9:38 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

Vets cannot get medications for anywhere near the same prices as chemists due to (1) buying power and (2) no PBS. Most have very little markup.

Yes this is what I was told too as well as have no opportunity to buy in bulk.  I've got some meds (some expensive skin meds IIRC) from the Chemist but had to pay over $100 a script as that was the non-PBS price.