When to remove stitches from dental

giraffez

My dog had some dentals done about 3 weeks ago, removed a molar at the far back.  While brushing his teeth, I noticed the stitches are still there, I can see the knot,   Do I need to take him back to the vet to remove or will it eventually fall off on its own?  I thought they would dissolve on its own, not sure why it hasn’t.   He would put up a fight when I try to pick it off so I’m not sure the vet can get to the back of his mouth.

Would it become inflamed if left in?

2 hours ago, jemappelle said:

I'd ring the vet to make sure they are dissolving stitches first.  If they are, in my experience, they can take quite some time to disappear.

I can’t fathom that they would even use non dissolving stitches in a place that’s so far back and hard to reach.  Any dental work would surely be dissolvable, wouldn’t it?  It would be silly to have to put the dog under it remove it’s stitches.

But you are right, no harm to be sure I guess.  I hope I can leave it alone and not irritate him at the same time.

I freaked out once, I saw what I swore was something nasty - like a piece of leftover tooth quite a while after surgery, weeeeks. (Thinking back, why I thought it was tooth where there had been none there before is a mystery)

Got into a flap, went straight to the vet!

So it turns out it was the knot of a dissolvable stitch with food caught on it. :laugh: 
Anyway, yep they can stay in longer than you'd expect. Get your vet to have a stickybeak if you like, they will probably note that some have fallen out already. :) 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

I freaked out once, I saw what I swore was something nasty - like a piece of leftover tooth quite a while after surgery, weeeeks. (Thinking back, why I thought it was tooth where there had been none there before is a mystery)

Got into a flap, went straight to the vet!

So it turns out it was the knot of a dissolvable stitch with food caught on it. :laugh: 

Haha yeah I too freaked out, I thought it was skin because it was pale white.  Did the knot eventually fall off by itself or did your vet have to intervene?

4 minutes ago, giraffez said:

Haha yeah I too freaked out, I thought it was skin because it was pale white.  Did the knot eventually fall off by itself or did your vet have to intervene?

hehe I totally sympathise. 
It took the vet a brush of his finger to knock the knot off. There was no actual stitch left :laugh: Beats me how it stuck there but it did. 

• Like 1

I just managed to snip it off while he was wiggling on the ground on his back :thumbsup:   

Caught him in a moment where he decided to stay still.  I snipped it and pull the bit of plastic stitches out.  It was tiny.  I hope I got all of it

• Like 2