Can someone who is very knowledgeable with Irish Wolfhounds please help me out with something?

I'm currently in talks with a seller (not a breeder, just someone selling a dog) and i can assure that they are trustworthy and honest and i know for certain they are genuine... the only thing however is they are claiming this is a purebred Irish Wolfhound, 6 months old (pic 1 and 2) I had a Wolfhound x Kelpie (pic 3) who passed away in March and i know how Wolfhounds are supposed to look and Pepper (the dog in pic 1 and 2) really doesn't have much at all of the traditional Wolfhound features such as the scraggly fur around the nose and eyes or the patch of white fur on the chest etc. I'm not at all an expert on Wolfhounds, that's why i'm asking here, and i know the seller is a good person... i just think they might not be certain themselves. Would really appreciate some opinions. Thanks.

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

6.jpg

Edited by Wolfhound1984

It's a very pretty dog :)

I'm absolutely no expert but I've seen pound dogs like that labeled as 'staghound' (sighthound crossbreed of varying appearance). Rightly or wrongly, I don't know.
But maybe google them as well. :shrug: 

• Like 2

I’ve seen a few around the show ring but I’m not an expert on the breed and it’s hard to judge from photos of a half-grown pup. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a purebred Irish Wolfhound. At six months old, I wouldn’t expect him to have the coat characteristics of an adult dog and, from what I’ve read, white hairs on the chest tend to occur as a fairly random consequence of in-utero development of pigmentation. He seems a bit narrow in the chest, which may also be just due to his age, and a bit straight in the shoulders, which is a fairly common conformation fault in many breeds.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

36 minutes ago, Loving my Oldies said:

I'm asking purely out of curiosity...  what does this mean?  

If you draw a line from the highest point of the shoulder to the chest and from there to the elbow, it should form a right angle at the chest, with the sternum forward of the front of the forelegs. In theory, a dog which is straight in shoulder has a shorter stride and may be vulnerable to jarring impacts as it runs and jumps. Here’s an article which discusses shoulder angulation much better than I can. https://gordonsetterexpert.org/2015/07/30/straight-shoulders-dont-reach-heres-why/

To my eye, the pup in the photos above doesn’t have much forechest and looks straight in the shoulders. I’m not sure what’s typical of this breed at this age, but I found some lovely photos of a youngster on this breeder’s website for comparison. 

http://anthonyclare.weebly.com/conghal-irish-wolfhounds.html I’m guessing that one’s a pick-of-the-litter pup which has had the best of nutrition and appropriate exercise for muscular development.

• Thanks 1

I handled Wolfhounds and would want more body for its age but no one can guarantee what it is .

We boarded a Staghound the other week who looks like a pure Deerhound ,it’s litter mates more Staghound 

• Like 1