Paying for a puppy?

Flyinginthesun

We’re getting a new puppy. We’ve paid a deposit via a bank account and are now being asked to bring the balance in cash for pick up.

We haven’t visited the breeder or checked the puppy out due to lockdown. We’ve only seen photos.

We are wondering how to handle it.

If we pay the balance by bank then we have a record of the transaction if anything goes wrong down the track but that means the breeder will have full payment before we even see the dog. If we take cash we can refuse to pay if the puppy is not OK but then we have no evidence of the transaction (maybe a hand written receipt but will that be enough if anything goes wrong)?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Fly

For me, in person pick ups people pay in cash. If the pup has to go interstate or overseas then it is bank transfer before pup leaves. Pup doesn't leave until paid for.

ETA mind you my pups didn't sell for thousands so cash wasn't a big deal. 

Edited by Rebanne
  • Like 2

I wonder if you could do a bank cheque if the puppy is super expensive? Basically the same as cash but not carrying around thousands of dollars.

Printed word doc receipt with date, age of pup, microchip on it should be enough, hand written would do just as well. 

I paid cash on pickup of my dog when I got him as a pup, but that was over a decade ago and pups weren't as expensive then. 

• Like 2

We thought a bank cheque too but as it isn’t made out to anyone specific we figured it was as untraceable as cash.

We think we’ll prepare a word document with all the details and get the breeder to sign it when we pick up and hope that will be enough proof of purchase if anything goes wrong.

Thanks everyone

If anyone else has anything to add I’m still open to more information.

https://www.nab.com.au/personal/help-and-guidance/personal-banking-fees-and-charges/bank-cheques

interesting what the NAB bank says about money orders, might be worth looking into. I admit I thought bank cheques could be made out to a specific name.

I am curious to what you think could go wrong? Is the breeder not offering you a contract or any sort of health guarantee? Keeping in mind Mother Nature likes to throw curveballs at times with no prior warnings.

• Like 2

Thx for the bank info link.

To answer your question we’re paying a huge amount of money for a supposedly healthy pure breed puppy with pedigree papers. It is turns out none of that is true we might seek to get our money back. Just being cautious and doing our best to not get ripped off.

I have two pups. 

I paid the deposit for one puppy via bank transfer at 3 weeks old. Then paid the remainder in cash on pick up. 

The other puppy was interstate so I paid in full via bank transfer. As I only had photos to go off, I rang the ANKC to confirm their registration and all was well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 09/06/2021 at 4:14 PM, Flyinginthesun said:

Thx for the bank info link.

To answer your question we’re paying a huge amount of money for a supposedly healthy pure breed puppy with pedigree papers. It is turns out none of that is true we might seek to get our money back. Just being cautious and doing our best to not get ripped off.

What due diligence have you done on the breeder? I would be very reluctant to purchase from a breeder I knew nothing about or one I hadn't met/ got to know over a period of time while researching breeds etc..The fact you emphasise the money aspect raises a lot of red flags. Also, what questions has the breeder asked of you- ie: how have they ascertained you are a suitable home for their pup? 

• Like 1