Fussy eater

babypupp27

Hi all I am a first time poster looking for advice. There is so much conflicting advice about the best diet for dogs/ puppies.

I have a nearly 6 month cavalier male. He came to us on Royal canin but has never been over fond of it so meal times have been quite stressful. A few weeks ago I began adding some raw food and he was wolfing it down, however yet again he stopped eating it.

I looked into different foods and came across Wellness Core so decided to change him to this, gradually introducing it along with his royal canin.

He went for a weekend to doggy daycare (4 nights) on 4th June. When he returned m they said that he wasn’t really interested in his food and he came back with half the amount I sent with him?(probably due to this being his first time away). However, that evening and the next morning his poo was quite loose.

I put him on chicken and rice from last Wednesday until Friday when he went for another overnight stay. 

When he came home I put him on the new food a mix of dry and tinned and now his poo is very loose (bit like a cow pat but looser).

I spoke to the vet this morning who has advised putting him back on chicken and rice for a few days - just fed him some and he was really not interested. 

I will see how he goes through the day - otherwise he appears his usual happy bouncy self.

I am driven to distraction with his feeding and would welcome some advice - do I just go back to royal canin and stick with it or push forward with the new food - up until his weekend away his poo was perfect and regular.

At this time he is straining, going umpteen times and waking us in the night, which he hasn’t done since very young, to be let out to poo. 

The vet will probably advice a probiotic in a few days.

I want to do the best for my puppy but maybe have made things worse by giving in to his fussy eating 

Edited by babypupp27
Spell check

His age indicates to me that he may also be teething... which can be a bit rough on some pups... ask the vet to check his mouth thoroughly in case he has a teething issue going on.

It may also be worth collecting some of his loose poo into a container and taking that the the vet with you - they can do a faecal float to see if there are any nasties happening in his gut.

When was his last vaccination? And his last worming? What with?

T.

Edited by tdierikx
  • Like 2

For what it's worth we owned two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels many years ago and I remember that they would eat anything and everything in sight. Definitely not fussy eaters.

Can you let us know if you went to the vet and how you went?

• Like 1

Cavies can be fussy eaters but owners can enhance the fussy .

Teething can be a horrid time for some pups including sore ear canals and inflamed tonsils .

Diet change can cause havoc on the stomach and let’s face it when we have the runs we don’t feel like eating but chicken isn’t always the best option .

We do Turkey and pumpkin 

• Like 1