New 6week old pup.

Cheryl A

I just bought a 6wk old male blue cattle pups, I am trying to train him to getting used to be on his own while I'm at work but it's not easy, he constantly cries I think he is a bit young to leave his siblings but I fell in love with him. I haven't had a pup for about 15years, I have never owned a crate or pen, my other dogs were all a bit older and used to being alone, can someone please give me some advice about training him and is a crate or pen really necessary? I have been giving him treats when he is quiet and sitting, can someone please offer some advice.

Too young to be sold but what's done is done. How long are you away for work and where do you leave him?

You need to get him a heat source. I like the snuggle safe disk as there are no wires to chew and it holds warmth for up to 10 hours. While he is too young really for big chew bones a raw marrow bone may give him some comfort to suck on.  I'm not sure if a small kong stuffed with some food would work at this age either. It would be best if someone could come and feed him a meal if you are away for over 4 hours. I like a crate for a puppy to learn to sleep in but not for hours and hours on his own. When you let the group know the answers to my questions we may be able to help more.

• Like 6

I have a litter at the moment who are almost this age.  They have a bed area + a play area adjacent.  They already know not to soil the bed area. (Mum can come and go a few ties a day).  If it was a single pup I too would favour a Snuggle Safe and definitely a roof over the whole thing as babies can have great talent at escaping when you are not supervising.  They are not really into toys yet, but spend the time exploring.  They seem to be particularly interested in the boundaries!!!

• Like 3

I want to cry too.  What a horrible thing to do.  That poor little pup is just a baby and to subject him to what is illegal (puppies should not be sold prior to 8 weeks) is not love, but cruelty.  

Sadly this poor little darling’s health, happiness and wellbeing are now your responsibility.  

To show that you can love, go back to the totally irresponsible breeders, purchase one of his siblings, take a fortnight off and give these little ones the comfort and nurture they need to thrive.  

@Snook, fair enough but I was so damned upset for that poor little puppy with all that loneliness thrust upon him because someone, although knowing he was too young, “fell in love.”  Yes, I know it was harsh and that I’d probably get harsh things said to me. If it gives someone pause and thinks about what they are doing, well I’ll take it.   

At the moment, I am going over to a help rescuer every couple of days because she has mum and four puppies (see my thread in the Rescue Forum called Megs: Rescued from the streets and her puppies.  These puppies turn just four weeks old tomorrow and the little cattle dog pup this poster has bought is just two weeks older than they are.  I made me feel sick with sorrow thinking about the difference in the lives of Megs’ puppies and the little cattle dog puppy.  

10 hours ago, Snook said:

I get being angry but that doesn't make it okay to try and emotionally blackmail someone in to taking on responsibility for a second puppy they're not prepared for. This pup should still be with his mother but the reality is that he's not and pushing someone to purchase a sibling of the pup is not the solution. 

I agree with the above - no point in getting all uptight,  we have all reared Singleton pups with or without a Mum.

it takes a lot of organisation and forethought, but it can be done.

Cheryl A- please feel free to PM me if you want a bit of support or tips for surviving.  It will be a hectic few weeks but very rewarding.

• Like 1

He stays inside in my kitchen at night with stuffed toys, lots of chew toys a hot water bottle under his blanket so hes not too hot, I am away from home for around 8hrs, whn I get home we go for walks around the back yard, play then he is fed at around 5.30 he whimpers a bit about 11.30 then goes back to sleep, his day time bed is on our enclosed back verandah,  I keep the radio on as well, he is becoming a bit more independent and walking away from me to investigate thing in the back yard, I am trying my best to keep him with me, but I can't take him to work all the time.

IMG_3877.jpg

• Like 3

Ok so he is now 7 weeks old? And settling a little bit? Personally I would have him in a crate in my bedroom so I can hear him when he gets restless and needs the toilet. But up to you. I've raised pups who slept in the bathroom as young 'uns and one who never slept inside until after she was spayed, and they all turned out ok. Ideas change over the years. I would be feeding him again after 5.30. I always liked to give my pups a raw chicken wing as their last meal at bedtime. At this age I would be giving 4 meals a day if possible, dropping down to 3 at around 12 weeks and 2 meals by 16 weeks (but still with a last thing at night snack for another month or two). Do you take him to the toilet when he stirs at 11.30 ish? You say he's not your first dog but maybe the youngest you have had? So excuse me if I am repeating stuff you know. Ask your vet about puppy school. You both may benefit.

He's very cute. I have a soft spot for cattle dogs.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

Ok so he is now 7 weeks old? And settling a little bit? Personally I would have him in a crate in my bedroom so I can hear him when he gets restless and needs the toilet. But up to you. I've raised pups who slept in the bathroom as young 'uns and one who never slept inside until after she was spayed, and they all turned out ok. Ideas change over the years. I would be feeding him again after 5.30. I always liked to give my pups a raw chicken wing as their last meal at bedtime. At this age I would be giving 4 meals a day if possible, dropping down to 3 at around 12 weeks and 2 meals by 16 weeks (but still with a last thing at night snack for another month or two). Do you take him to the toilet when he stirs at 11.30 ish? You say he's not your first dog but maybe the youngest you have had? So excuse me if I am repeating stuff you know. Ask your vet about puppy school. You both may benefit.

He's very cute. I have a soft spot for cattle dogs.

He is my first pup in 20 years, so things have changed, all my other pups and my parents pups where older and brought up outside and only come inside rarely as a treat, but I have softened over the years, I have never used a crate or puppy pads, so not sure about the best way to go, I just don't want him to rely on staying in my bedroom forever, it is cold in Syd at the moment so I will keep doing that till it is warm,he is booked in at the vet for his next needle on 7th next month. 

• Like 1

Back in the old days lots of (read most) pups went to new homes at his age, and most of those did just fine... so don't be put off by those berating you for taking him this young. Obviously the breeder didn't seem to care that he was very young and could have done with a couple more weeks with his mum and siblings to learn a few more social skills... but that is your job now... *grin*

I must say that he is all levels of adorable from that gorgeous photo you have shared... I can see how you fell in love...

I have raised more than my share of very young pups over the years (as a foster carer with rescue) - many whole litters, but also many singletons - and I pride myself that all of them learned the social skills they needed to go off to their forever homes with confidence. I really fell in love with crates in the bedroom to help them settle and stay that way overnight. The trick is positioning it so that they can see you in your bed, so they know that they aren't completely alone. I usually put in a tip-free bowl of water, a nice enclosing bed, and a teddy bear of roughly the same size as pup to snuggle up to... and I had very few pups that wouldn't settle and sleep pretty much the entire night just fine at your boy's age. Pop him in the crate only when you go to bed, so he learns that your bedtime is when he should be settling and going to bed too.

For extended periods being left alone, I would make sure he has a few hardy toys and/or puzzle feeders like frozen kongs or the balls that he has to roll about to get kibble out of. A nice bed placed where he won't get too hot or cold or wet, with soft comfy bedding (as long as he's not a chewer). He may get bored with the same toys each day, so only put out a few, and alternate which ones he gets each day to stop him getting bored with them.

When you get home, make sure that when you go to greet him, you make him sit and be a good boy before you give him his hello cuddles and kisses - that way he will also learn a bit of restraint to not jump all over you (or your friends/family) when people come to visit. Lots of evening couch cuddles in front of the TV is also a way to teach him to settle when you are home, and wind down time before bedtime.

Cattle dogs are SMART... so anything that makes him have to think or earn treats/pats are a must... he will need a "job" to do, so finding something he likes to do that you can reward him by letting him do is recommended - even if it's a simple as retrieving a ball for 15-20 mins or so a couple of times a day. When he is older and fully vaccinated, he will love going for decent walks to sniff all the messages left by all the other dogs in the neighbourhood, and to learn good social skills navigating around other humans and dogs. Start out with shorter walks and build up to longer ones as he gets bigger and stronger... little pups don't need really long walks, but juvenile and adult dogs like to get out for longer and it is good exercise for you too... hehe!

Overall, just enjoy your little man... he will be your faithful companion for a good 15+ years...

Oh... we need to know his name... and more photos please!

T.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

Back in the old days lots of (read most) pups went to new homes at his age, and most of those did just fine... so don't be put off by those berating you for taking him this young. Obviously the breeder didn't seem to care that he was very young and could have done with a couple more weeks with his mum and siblings to learn a few more social skills... but that is your job now... *grin*

I must say that he is all levels of adorable from that gorgeous photo you have shared... I can see how you fell in love...

I have raised more than my share of very young pups over the years (as a foster carer with rescue) - many whole litters, but also many singletons - and I pride myself that all of them learned the social skills they needed to go off to their forever homes with confidence. I really fell in love with crates in the bedroom to help them settle and stay that way overnight. The trick is positioning it so that they can see you in your bed, so they know that they aren't completely alone. I usually put in a tip-free bowl of water, a nice enclosing bed, and a teddy bear of roughly the same size as pup to snuggle up to... and I had very few pups that wouldn't settle and sleep pretty much the entire night just fine at your boy's age. Pop him in the crate only when you go to bed, so he learns that your bedtime is when he should be settling and going to bed too.

For extended periods being left alone, I would make sure he has a few hardy toys and/or puzzle feeders like frozen kongs or the balls that he has to roll about to get kibble out of. A nice bed placed where he won't get too hot or cold or wet, with soft comfy bedding (as long as he's not a chewer). He may get bored with the same toys each day, so only put out a few, and alternate which ones he gets each day to stop him getting bored with them.

When you get home, make sure that when you go to greet him, you make him sit and be a good boy before you give him his hello cuddles and kisses - that way he will also learn a bit of restraint to not jump all over you (or your friends/family) when people come to visit. Lots of evening couch cuddles in front of the TV is also a way to teach him to settle when you are home, and wind down time before bedtime.

Cattle dogs are SMART... so anything that makes him have to think or earn treats/pats are a must... he will need a "job" to do, so finding something he likes to do that you can reward him by letting him do is recommended - even if it's a simple as retrieving a ball for 15-20 mins or so a couple of times a day. When he is older and fully vaccinated, he will love going for decent walks to sniff all the messages left by all the other dogs in the neighbourhood, and to learn good social skills navigating around other humans and dogs. Start out with shorter walks and build up to longer ones as he gets bigger and stronger... little pups don't need really long walks, but juvenile and adult dogs like to get out for longer and it is good exercise for you too... hehe!

Overall, just enjoy your little man... he will be your faithful companion for a good 15+ years...

Oh... we need to know his name... and more photos please!

T.

His name is Diesel, up until last night I had him on his bed next to mine which was good no crying but he would wake up walk through the hose and luckily pee or poo on the wooden floor not the carpet, I get up at 5.155.30 take him outside for a pee, then we feed our 2 chooks then the 3 cats I get dressed, we play outside for about half an hr then I feed him, we play sommore then he goes to bed on the back verandah on his bed, I close the glass sliding door but leave the verandah door open for him, I turn on the radio then by 7.39 I leave for work, I get home about 4.40, he is usually quiet till he hears me but today he was  barking and winging, when he calms down I get changed we play and train a little then we feed the chooks the around 5.30 He gets fed, I get my dina ready by that time he is ready to play again, we play for a while then come inside and he usually lays at my feet, take him outside a couple of times for a pea then by around 9.30 to bed.He is clever he has started to sit stay and come, I am trying to get him used to the lead, He has a few toys he loves tug a war and fetching his ball, he has a Mickie mouse chew toy a pet dog as big as him to cuddle and a smaller teddy bear, I thought if I let him sleep in my room he might not want to leave.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cheryl A said:

His name is Diesel, up until last night I had him on his bed next to mine which was good no crying but he would wake up walk through the hose and luckily pee or poo on the wooden floor not the carpet, I get up at 5.155.30 take him outside for a pee, then we feed our 2 chooks then the 3 cats I get dressed, we play outside for about half an hr then I feed him, we play sommore then he goes to bed on the back verandah on his bed, I close the glass sliding door but leave the verandah door open for him, I turn on the radio then by 7.39 I leave for work, I get home about 4.40, he is usually quiet till he hears me but today he was  barking and winging, when he calms down I get changed we play and train a little then we feed the chooks the around 5.30 He gets fed, I get my dina ready by that time he is ready to play again, we play for a while then come inside and he usually lays at my feet, take him outside a couple of times for a pea then by around 9.30 to bed.He is clever he has started to sit stay and come, I am trying to get him used to the lead, He has a few toys he loves tug a war and fetching his ball, he has a Mickie mouse chew toy a pet dog as big as him to cuddle and a smaller teddy bear, I thought if I let him sleep in my room he might not want to leave.

20210612_102809.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheryl A said:

20210621_200503.jpg

• Like 4

He is too young. A puppy should be 8-10 weeks old before you bring him home. As your puppy is too young, so he needs to be fed 4 times a day. So better leave someone who can give him food after every 3 hours.

• Like 1