Vets plea

asal

2 hours ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

No one on here probably cares about me putting in my two cents but I will anyway.

I have worked in the animal industry for years, actually my entire adult life, when I was young and naive I couldn’t comprehend anyone not staying with their animal in their last moments, actually I thought they were gutless cowards, then I experienced life and changed my mind.

I had to have one of my older cats and also one of my dogs puppies PTS a couple of weeks ago, I couldn’t stay with either, you see I have been that person that held numerous clients dogs while the vet administered the injection, I’m not a nurse I’m a groomer but I did it anyway because the clients wanted someone that loved their dog as much as them to stay, I have been there while other family members have had their beloved cats and dogs PTS, I’ve even had to take them myself on a couple of occasions, I have never generally shied away from it however having to perform CPR on one of my kids and having him die any way and having to turn off life support on two of our daughters has left me more fragile and unable to cope as easily with those final moments.

I will be there with the dogs and cats I have now when it is their time (hopefully that’s a long way off) but I certainly will never judge anyone else again for not being able to and hopefully one day I will be strong enough to be that support when needed.

I think telling your story makes people feel normal and if not Atleast understand  it’s not that simple and no one needs to know why things changed for you but things happen in life that  affect everyone differently .

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

I think telling your story makes people feel normal and if not Atleast understand  it’s not that simple and no one needs to know why things changed for you but things happen in life that  affect everyone differently .

Thank you and that’s precisely why I’m telling it, I know it can be very hard for people to understand why others do certain things or behave in certain ways and I just want to get the message across that judging other people without knowing their circumstances is extremely unfair even if you disagree with them.

For anyone on here that has not been exposed to death I just want to tell you that the idea of your dog/cat etc just falling asleep and not waking up is not reality and it is more often than not kinder and less stressful to take them in and have them gently and calmly PTS, if only we could do the same for humans.

• Like 5

On 20/06/2021 at 12:03 PM, Snook said:

It would have been completely unthinkable for me to have left Justice to be euthanised without me by his side. It didn't even cross my mind for a split second and I don't understand how anyone could leave a pet, who has given their lifetime of love and loyalty, to die surrounded by strangers. I don't care how hard it is for you, suck it up and do it anyway. It the very last act of love and kindness that you'll ever be able to give them and they deserve to have their humans with them. Obviously I'm not talking about situations where your pet passes away on the operating table or when they've had to stay overnight with the vet and you can't physically be there, but taking your pet to the vet to be euthanised and walking away before it's done is beyond me. 

I feel similar to this. I respect that some situations are different though. But because it is something I hold in myself as a non negotiable in my life it honestly is a situation where my brain won’t let me ‘walk a mile’.

It is not a personal attack on anyone as it is devastating losing a much loved family member and I would always empathize with that loss. It is just the way I feel about it.  

Edited by corrie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

No one on here probably cares about me putting in my two cents but I will anyway.

I have worked in the animal industry for years, actually my entire adult life, when I was young and naive I couldn’t comprehend anyone not staying with their animal in their last moments, actually I thought they were gutless cowards, then I experienced life and changed my mind.

I had to have one of my older cats and also one of my dogs puppies PTS a couple of weeks ago, I couldn’t stay with either, you see I have been that person that held numerous clients dogs while the vet administered the injection, I’m not a nurse I’m a groomer but I did it anyway because the clients wanted someone that loved their dog as much as them to stay, I have been there while other family members have had their beloved cats and dogs PTS, I’ve even had to take them myself on a couple of occasions, I have never generally shied away from it however having to perform CPR on one of my kids and having him die any way and having to turn off life support on two of our daughters has left me more fragile and unable to cope as easily with those final moments.

I will be there with the dogs and cats I have now when it is their time (hopefully that’s a long way off) but I certainly will never judge anyone else again for not being able to and hopefully one day I will be strong enough to be that support when needed.

You have been through so much trauma Rascal. I don’t think anyone would ever feel anything but empathy for the bravery you have shown with everything you have been through and not understand under these circumstances you would need to protect yourself for the sake of yourself and your family. 

• Like 4