Dog housing and breeding nsw

Jeff85

Hi guys 

Where exactly can I find the legislation for nsw regarding the housing of dogs ie being kept in a run etc ? And also for a “hobby” breeder is there any legislation apart from general welfare and pups must be microchipped ? 

Far as I’m aware in nsw there is no specific limits on the amount , correct ? 

many thanks 

jeff 

It's all covered in the 'definitions' sections re Council, Police, AWL, RSPCA and Cat Protection.

I've not been in a real life scenario so I can't help you with what to do if they want to enter your property.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2021 at 9:09 PM, Jeff85 said:

Ok thanks 

where could I find or if you know ? Regarding letting the following into your property 

police 

council 

rspca 

what rights do they have 

They have the right to inspect, you can arrange an appointment time if your lucky, but the legislation empowers the rspca to enter if they "believe an animal may be in distress" even break into your home ,  there is an episode of their tv program when the inspector found a ladder and climbed into an open upstairs window to assure herself that  "the dog in the house had access to water." That she could see through a lower window but could not see any water bowls through any windows.  she found it utterly hilarious that the "dog" turned out to be a life-size statue.

Pretty chilling, considering she never queried why the dog never responded to her calls, let alone what if it had been capable of tearing her apart being a stranger entering its owners home? A scenario that has hit headlines for other unfortunates killed who were {either waking by a property or there by invitation}   attacked  over the years.

LOL , they have the right to "form the opinion" whats mind bending is the opinion being formed does not have to be correct or  any knowledge of the subject to do so. Once they decide to "form the opinion" your pet's "best interests would be served by seizure and removal to their facility" (that's a direct quote from a letter from the Pollie in charge the Hon Richard Amery,

of the dept of agriculture at the time of its writing in 2000, so they have had this massive power for over 20 years)

they can take it and there is no avenue of appeal save through the courts which  cost mega.

Lots who have learned the hard way are keeping the medical profession busy treating those who have trouble coping with the resulting stress outcomes.

There is now a task force to inspect, (the nsw rspca last year were given $250,000 to eliminate puppy farms, which they rebadged as a POCTA taskforce instead, so from late november 2020 been busy inspecting  registered breeder's instead, (any member of the many Pet and Ankc registers) much easier to target than find any unregistered puppy farms) and you have to have every box of of POCTA inspection ticked. or I hear people have been issued $500 on the spot fines for every non tick. (that's a new one) in previous POCTA  inspections you had two to four weeks to comply) one lady had to pay 1500.  No two weeks to fix as in the past.

read that link of Powerlegs very carefully, that's not a recommendation. you have to tick every point in it. as that's the blue print for the inspections.

There is no such thing as a hobby breeder now. you either tick all those boxes which means you are a complaint puppy farm or your toast. Its never been about eliminating puppy farmers, its all about creating everyone as a complaint puppy farm.

the end goal is the rspca want a yearly flat fee payment for the "rspca approved" sign on the gate and will keep up the pressure

until it is achieved.

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pucapo said:

I suppose if you are not doing anything wrong you should have no fear of anybody coming to inspect.

so says those who have not yet learned differently the hard way and to speak up is to be told, "where there's smoke there's fire".

so the vast majority smoked stay silent, the only other demographic sworn to such shame and silence is?

the other quote from the Hon Richard Amery's reply was to the effect "you have nothing to fear from the rspca"

well my dog disappeared for 13 days, I had to pay for all the tests they ran without my or his vets consent, that proved both their inspectors and their vets "opinion" were wrong, he was perfectly healthy at the time of seizure.  

Could not say the same for his return, he was immediately taken to his vet and diagnosed with torn trachea and pneumonia.

You have lots to fear.

but you talk about what happened and still all these years later I read another here have the hide to tell me, "where there's smoke there's fire"

This news story was posted 3 hours ago.   they plead for more powers to seize, yet remember my dog was taken in November 1999, and Richard Amery's Letter was written in January 2000, so the power to seize based on "formed the opinion" was already in place?

They are very selective in deciding when too.   don't want the Cretans to realise the power they already have and take fright, do they?  Might slow down the acquisition of more

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-25/tas-rspca-calls-for-law-changes-to-give-it-more-power/100241966

Edited by asal

2 hours ago, Pucapo said:

I suppose if you are not doing anything wrong you should have no fear of anybody coming to inspect.

I wouldn't pass the NSW inspections because my dogs don't wear collars when at home, let alone collars with names and phone numbers. Nor is my house enclosed with 6 foot fences.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff85 said:

So just a person who has A litter, is this not acceptable or ? 

I would check with your local council. Though as Rebanne stated, technically, its all the same. 

How individual councils handle 'Back yard breeding' or 'accidental' litters will vary.

Edited by moosmum
  • Like 1

Like so many things, what you can get away with depends a lot on your neighbours.  An occasional litter and quiet, inoffensive dogs is far less likely to provoke enforcement of over the top rules than frequent breeding of dogs that frighten or annoy the neighbours. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Like so many things, what you can get away with depends a lot on your neighbours.  An occasional litter and quiet, inoffensive dogs is far less likely to provoke enforcement of over the top rules than frequent breeding of dogs that frighten or annoy the neighbours. 

they are not  waiting for complaints, they are inspecting everyone for "compliance"

interestingly they have the right to "interpret" the Pocta.

so despite the fact the height of boundary fences is not in the legislation they are now running the measure and if its under 6 foot your toast now. yet 12 months ago only the pens which in the legislation must be 6 feet.   has been "re interpreted"  as including any area where your dog exercises.