Weight Gain

Nepal_AU

I have a male Brittany he is almost 15 month old and weigh 13.7kg. I started with raw and wet food and eventually end up feeding him locally made Kibble two times a day since he was 12 month old because I felt kibble may help him gain weight on top i feed him raw food, meat  or rice during the day time. I give him kibble more than recommended. However he looks skinny  and not gaining much weight. He eats anything  and highly active and fit but on skinny side.  He poops 4 plus times a day as well drink  lots of water I don't know if that's a reason he is not gaining weight.Should I be worried as I would like him to add 1kg extra. Should I be worried or is this normal ?

1 hour ago, Nepal_AU said:

@Rebanne thanks he is still in puppy food, do u think should I keep continuing 

My dogs are all off puppy food long before they are full grown. Personally I'd be upping the raw food rather then the dry food. 4 pop's a day sounds a bit much unless they are small and firm. If a bit soft and large I would think that's the dry food rushing through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s often difficult to keep weight on young, energetic dogs like Brittanies, and it’s better for them to be too lean rather than too fat. However, I would expect a 15 month old Brittany to weigh more than 13.7 kg.

6 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

If he’s pooping 4 times a day he’s not absorbing the food just passing it out .

The food may not suit him .

I agree with this. Some dog foods are bulked up with fillers that seem to just “pass through”. Consider switching or supplementing foods. As meat has become more expensive, dog food manufacturers have replaced meat protein with protein from legumes such as peas, so I like to mix a few high-quality kibbles that have different protein sources, in case one product is deficient in an amino acid or other essential ingredient. Your pup should be developing muscle as well as maintaining some reserves of fat (but not too much), so look for foods that are fairly high in protein and not too low in fat.

Meat offcuts and raw meaty bones are a good way to supplement commercial raw foods while maintaining the recommended ratio of 70% muscle meat/heart muscle/fat, 10% bone and 20% vegetables/fruit/seeds/organ meat.

Also look at quality exercise. Young Brittanies are very active and “run the fat off” but the right sort of exercise should build muscle instead. Opportunities to swim, sprint, explore rough terrain and play with other young dogs of similar size and breed are preferable to leash walking/running and other forced exercise, although as a fellow Brittany-owner I know how difficult it is to find secure exercise areas where they won’t follow their noses into danger.

Finally, make sure your dog is regularly treated with a good all-wormer. Worms can make dogs lose weight quickly.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

It’s often difficult to keep weight on young, energetic dogs like Brittanies, and it’s better for them to be too lean rather than too fat. However, I would expect a 15 month old Brittany to weigh more than 13.7 kg.

I agree with this. Some dog foods are bulked up with fillers that seem to just “pass through”. Consider switching or supplementing foods. As meat has become more expensive, dog food manufacturers have replaced meat protein with protein from legumes such as peas, so I like to mix a few high-quality kibbles that have different protein sources, in case one product is deficient in an amino acid or other essential ingredient. Your pup should be developing muscle as well as maintaining some reserves of fat (but not too much), so look for foods that are fairly high in protein and not too low in fat.

Meat offcuts and raw meaty bones are a good way to supplement commercial raw foods while maintaining the recommended ratio of 70% muscle meat/heart muscle/fat, 10% bone and 20% vegetables/fruit/seeds/organ meat.

Also look at quality exercise. Young Brittanies are very active and “run the fat off” but the right sort of exercise should build muscle instead. Opportunities to swim, sprint, explore rough terrain and play with other young dogs of similar size and breed are preferable to leash walking/running and other forced exercise, although as a fellow Brittany-owner I know how difficult it is to find secure exercise areas where they won’t follow their noses into danger.

Finally, make sure your dog is regularly treated with a good all-wormer. Worms can make dogs lose weight quickly.

@DogsAndTheMobThanks, I tried almost everything. I have been giving home this premium kibble locally made said high in protein and fat. During day time I feed him cut piece,meat and rice with oil sometime organs it hasn't helped much. He look muscular , highly energetic but not much reserved fat or on chubby side. Giving him all wormer on a regular basis as well. I feel he just have a high metabolism. He gets decent exercise take him to dog park often he does just sprint  all around the park as he doesn't like playing with dogs much. He is turning 15 months tomorrow. 

Should I be doing anything  differently?

Thank you again for your response

I can't see any hint of ribs even allowing for his coat. He does look leggy to me but it is not a breed I am familiar with. Is he desexed? Have you checked in with his breeder? Some lines mature differently

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

I can't see any hint of ribs even allowing for his coat. He does look leggy to me but it is not a breed I am familiar with. Is he desexed? Have you checked in with his breeder? Some lines mature differently

Ribs are not visible but when u run your palm across u can feel that. Brittany tend to be long leg n masculine side. Yes he has been desexed

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, persephone said:

To me he looks lovely :) - but I like lean dogs . I agree with the others - 4 poos a day means that something is going thru him - most likely the kibble . Feed fattier bits of meat, and less kibble, and see how you go :)

Thanks. He is very energetic and active ,eats anything not a fussy eater. I gave him home made food and he would poo 5-6 times a day  i felt he has a high metabolism. To gain weight i am feeding him 3 times kibbles two times and meat rice etc during the afternoon. He doesn't look unhealthy only leaner maybe that's how he is :). 

• Like 1

Does he have skin issues in his groin?
Dog looks slightly longer in the loin area which can make them look skinny and no amount of feeding will change .

It is a leggy/Rangey Brittany so will look different to other Brittany .

His conformation has faults 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nepal_AU said:

Ribs are not visible but when u run your palm across u can feel that. Brittany tend to be long leg n masculine side. Yes he has been desexed

That sounds about right. Up his raw food, including bone, cut the dry back and there is no need to feed rice every day.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

Does he have skin issues in his groin?
Dog looks slightly longer in the loin area which can make them look skinny and no amount of feeding will change .

It is a leggy/Rangey Brittany so will look different to other Brittany .

His conformation has faults 

@DogsfevrYes he has long legs and very fast.. keeps running will not stop. 

What is conformation? 

1 hour ago, Nepal_AU said:

What is conformation? 

Conformation is the structure and appearance of a dog- every breed has  its own desired conformation  dachshunds for example have long backs . A shorter  backed, longer legged dachshund would have poor conformation . 

• Like 1

my vets would describe his condition as perfect. The fatter the  shorter the lifespan he says. my horses dad was massive, he had a heart attack at 20. his son lived to 29 in fit condition similar to your boy.  even won an open race against 13 horses aged from 6 to 17 at 26, beat 14  at 27 by 1/4 mile margin.   no kidding.  The winning margin to 2nd place he finished so fast was the lap of that track, half a mile. the announcers comment,   "Aeneas first, the rest? no where? second?  Where is second?"

image.png.dccb60ceeecf9530e20f3fef99501f5b.png

the bay in front and the chestnut to the right were among the first five to finish. It was what they call an Ironwoman race. 

image.thumb.png.e04476190f8d8779a159d95a25a87ce2.png

Edited by asal
  • Like 1