Possible Current Pet Meat link to liver failure (VIC)

Powerlegs

A cluster of cases of acute hepatopathy (liver failure) in Victorian dogs fed pet meat has recently been identified by the PetFAST system. This is being investigated as a potential pet food-associated adverse event, but we have not yet identified a definitive causal link.
Any dogs that have eaten pet meat (especially if sourced from Victoria) and have sudden onset of vomiting, loss of appetite, excessive thirst, or jaundice should be taken to your veterinarian without delay. Your veterinarian will be able to examine your dog and do blood tests to investigate further.
Veterinarians who see potential cases should log these via PetFAST.
May be an image of dog

• Sad 2

Maffra abattoir has been named as the source of the meat. I remember years ago dogs dying from liver failure after eating camel and horse meat - the animals had been grazing on native Indigofera species, and the naturally occurring Indospicine toxin had accumulated in the meat. Heart breaking for the owners. 

• Sad 3

in drought conditions pattersens curse is deliberately grazed to keep conditon on the sheep and cattle until sale as they know they have to be sold by a minimum time or they will die before sale if left too long. forget the name of the toxin but they are consigned for sale for human consumption.

cause of death if left on it too long?  Liver failure

The reason for its other name, salvation jane.   saved the stock long enough to sell instead of buried.

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2021 at 7:37 PM, Diva said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-21/victorian-dog-death-toxin-indospicine-revealed/100311346

it’s turned out to be  Indospicine again, same as the case I posted about earlier 

yes Diva, and it appears the meat came from the NT and was from horse meat though Maffra District Knackery co-owner Karen Backmann said it was only traces (maybe she's telling fibs, who knows? )

here's an ABC update, it is sad reading:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-02/pet-food-crisis-deepens-with-spotlight-on-horses-recalls/100340698

• Like 2

On 02/08/2021 at 6:59 AM, Boronia said:

yes Diva, and it appears the meat came from the NT and was from horse meat though Maffra District Knackery co-owner Karen Backmann said it was only traces (maybe she's telling fibs, who knows? )

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-02/pet-food-crisis-deepens-with-spotlight-on-horses-recalls/100340698

that is very concerning,  all meat in the top end should be screened to ensure the animals have not eaten this plant?  It only mentions horses and camels eat it, but  I breed cattle and they eat pretty much the same as the horses, as for goats. gee they eat stuff  I wouldn't have believed.

• 4 weeks later...

CHOICE will be sending an open letter to Minister for Agriculture David Littleproud next week calling for the long-overdue establishment of mandatory pet food safety standards in Australia. We're urging consumers to sign the letter now and let government know the time has come to better protect our pets.

The move follows the latest pet food contamination incident earlier this month, in which 23 dogs in Victoria reportedly died and 67 were hospitalised due to indospicine poisoning traced to contaminated horse meat from the Northern Territory.  

https://action.choice.com.au/page/88671/petition/1?campaign=saferpetfood

On 27/08/2021 at 6:02 PM, corrie said:

Littlepround? Hes the one who in partnership with Barnaby Joyce drafted and got passed the water trading scheme.   He even created the offshore company that his family now run so he cant be accused of conflict of interest. yet he was the chairman when he created it. How can anyone with a consience turn a public property into a share market to profit share holders of what was a public asset on the driest continent on earth?

whats the odds if he sees possible profit in it creating a pet meat trading scheme too?

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2021 at 6:59 AM, Boronia said:

A friend of mine lost her 2 greyhounds to this. She definitely thought she was feeding them beef not horse, so someone was being dishonest. 

• Sad 4

Don't know too much about this ,, but  i started to feed my dog on chicken pet mince ,, within a week he was at the vets , who told me STOP  his stomach sounded like world war 3 he said ,, vet told me theres too much rubbish mixed in a lot of pet mince and he see's a lot of dogs with stomach parasite problems , because of it ,,    he's only a small dog so for his night meal its not too expensive for me to feed him  proper cooked  chicken breast  and he's  good with that

Vet said  it goes for most butchers ,,  could be maybee mine just has a sensetive stomach who knows ...

I haven’t bought meat for my dogs from pet suppliers for years now. I know from past experience that when the knacker man comes to collect a dead beast they never ask if it was given medication with a withholding period, or even how it died. It could’ve been given the green dream, they don’t care.  I wouldn’t feed it to my pets.  

I just get supermarket or butcher meat.  I buy a whole raw chook for $3.90kg and chop it up.  I buy lamb chop off cuts for $7kg or sometimes on special for $5kg.  Free range eggs from  a local grower $5 per dozen. Salmon off cuts $3 kg. Then lamb or beef heart, liver etc.  all fit for human consumption.   Occasionally I get some venison from a friend. They dogs loved that! 
Bone dust for free and  the occasional road kill bunny that gets chucked in the freezer for about a month and then fed whole to them, fur, guts, the lot.

Edited by Kirislin