Raw food & antibiotic resistance

sandgrubber

• 6 months later...

Meh, bacteria in raw meat and animal products is nothing new.  

The issue is hygiene. Certainly now with COVID, the world should totally ‘get’ the concept of washing hands and hygiene No one should care who feeds what.  

• Like 1

On 11/02/2022 at 10:52 PM, YOLO said:

I don't understand why some people are so obsessed with "Raw"?

Nor why they, and others, feel the need to constantly boast about what they feed their dogs?

(Often seems like some kind of ____ing contest)

And worse still, given some of the sources of "raw" petfood, I do question their safety. 

My personal belief is that when feeding raw, it should only ever be human food.  So yes I feed mine lamb offcuts, and chicken legs.

It's not a ____ing contest at all.  It's  just that feeding raw and natural instead of commercial dog food (in my opinion) is by far a better way to go.  And as you said, you do feed your dog some raw so that's a small step inn the right direction.  At least in raw feeding, synthetic additives are not added and I ask the question.  Would you as an owner of a precious dog or cat want to eat basically the same commercially produced food day in and day out?  I think not.

• Like 3

@YOLO have a look at a Westie rescue group and the pitiful skin conditions some of these dogs have through feeding commercial food, apart from vet care they need 100% raw food to get them back to almost normal and even then the hair won't grow back, it takes ages especially in an older dog.

It's not a contest it's a necessity for the health of the dog

here's an example of why some people are so obsessed with "Raw" when this little Teucher has been fed commercial all his life

247316327_Screenshotfrom2022-02-1319-14-58.png.a42b974315345bf020cf5ff36390272a.png

and 8 weeks after vet care, hours of work and a raw diet

1948479218_Screenshotfrom2022-02-1319-14-22.png.98cba0cb16ab6887840991adc1713504.png

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, twodoggies2001 said:

Thank you Kazm.  I know many will disagree but my boys are healthy and shiny coats and I know that's best for them.

Still agree and it doesn’t matter what others think as I think we know our dogs. I know Molly is healthy, happy and is very energetic and she does very well on her diet. Her weight is perfect for her and her coat is shiny and soft too. 

• Like 1

Wow, way to read something into a comment that doesn’t exist. relax and stop looking at every comment as a reason to debate. 

I didn’t say it wasn’t important or should be ignored. I said it’s not a new concept. Bacteria exists and more so in raw animal products. 

The article actually says Jack shit in all reality. It doesn’t make any conclusive statements about raw feeding being detrimental. It’s nothing more than an opinion piece with the statement that raw feeding ‘may’ be a cause of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Funnily enough, most of the information I’ve ever read is that abuse of our miracle drug, the antibiotic, is the issue.  I have had some personal experience with CA-MRSA. 

I gather you’re against raw feeding. Well go you. You do you and others will do themselves. I’ve been around long enough to know these arguments are just a waste of time and they amuse me more now than anything. 

My advice to you is to accept that opinions are just that - opinions. Slamming your opinion down the throats of others will not win you a debate, or friends. Trust me on that one. ;)

Edited by ~Anne~
Clarity and grammar
  • Like 3