Pickles 25/9/2010 - 17/7/2021

tdierikx

Pickles has gone to join Trouble and Zeddy at the Rainbow Bridge...

Pickles seemed a bit off on Friday, refusing food and just acting a bit flat, but otherwise acting normally... she has done that a few times over the years, so it was no really huge concern at the time. She had been fine on Thursday, eating her dinner with her usual gusto, etc...

Yesterday she started to deteriorate in her mood, and started wanting to drink copious amounts of water, but still refusing any solids... and in the afternoon she vomited up lots of water with blood in it... so I took her to VSOS emergency vets in Miranda.

Unfortunately it looks like her pica (eating objects that aren't food) may have caught up with her, as she had an obstruction that seems to have caused a rupture somewhere. There were no reasonable guarantees of a viable recovery even with surgical intervention and prolonged treatments, so the hardest decision had to be made to let her go with the dignity she deserved. She passed peacefully in my arms with help from the lovely vet.

Pickles was my 46th foster puppy way back when... and my first foster failure. She was "broken" - having a strange way of walking and reduced feeling in her legs - but she never knew that fact. In her eyes she was perfect, and no-one ever told her any different. She lived her life to the fullest at every stage, being an awesome little helper with many more foster pups, fox kits, and dingo pups over the years. She was Trouble's biggest fan, and missed her terribly when she passed not too long ago. She never took a shine to Harper though, and they had to be kept separate to keep the peace.

Pickles... I love you to the moon and back my little spazz... you showed everyone you met that having a disability was never something to hold you back from living a full life and just enjoying every moment of it.

T.

pickles.thumb.JPG.4476d5a4039147c8b1888ae116de5f1b.JPG

Edited by tdierikx
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

I am gutted for you, @tdierikx.  You and Pickles faced challenges, but you both rose to these challenges.  Despite her “disability”, you recognised Pickles’ joie de vivre and determined to let her live life on her terms.  Deepest sympathies to you and wobble your joyful way over the Bridge, Pickles :heart: :heart: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just saw on FB and wondered whether you would post in here. She was a DOL Dog after all!

I just went looking for her original thread and couldn't find it but I did find some puppy photos of her when one of her siblings (Persia) got adopted. I suddenly had a desire for story time with pictures so I could reminisce. Your threads of your foster pups were always the highlight of my day and there was a lot of Pickles action!

Thank you for taking her on and loving her and allowing her to be herself. She was a wobbly fur ball of love and she will be sadly missed. XXX

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember when you first posted about her T, then she became one of the Dogz regulars.

We will miss the updates you posted about her but she will have some great chums over the bridge.

You will miss her so much, I do feel for you.

B xx :hug:

• Thanks 1

So sorry T, 'Fraid all I can offer is a big ((HUG)) and my own tears for you.

Still horribly messed up from my own loss over a year ago now.

Searching for words takes me back and I just can't do it yet. 

So,  Take care.:hug: And Pickles, your life and story has touched us all.

Edited by moosmum
  • Thanks 1

I remember when you posted about Pickles and her "very own" way of walking.  I'm so sorry that she has left you, @tdierikx.  She paved her own way and brought her special brand of happiness to you.  Safe in your heart and playing again with Trouble and Zeddy.

Edited by stellnme
  • Thanks 1