Walking off leas

Hi

It's been quite a few years since I've been on here, and have since got myself a new puppy who is a bit over 6 months old. We have taught her a few tricks and basic obedience like sit stay drop come etc using Steve's TOT, but my ultimate goal would be to walk my dog next to me without leash and for her to walk next to me and not run ahead, cross road or chase other dogs or animals.

Wasn't sure if there is another post already on this (Had a quick look) and if not I was thinking of asking Steve from K9 Pro for assistance or program.

Thanks in advance

I'm aware of this. Thanks

However, without having to explain where I live, property I'm on etc etc, I just would like some training tips or direction to link if it's already a topic, if that's ok.

hi :)
Try a search on "loose leash walking"  (with inverted commas)  there should be some help there. My plan would be to perfect loose leash walking, then - disappear the leash when this is solid! Find the way that suits you & your dog..and practice, pratice, practice!  :)

• Like 1

Thanks for that Persephone, appreciate it. Our little Frenchie walks really well on leash at present, without any distractions.

I will google loose leash walking and see what it says. It would just be nice to take a walk down to letterbox and not have her dart out the front door, but just walk with me, although she is getting a bit better.

On 23/07/2021 at 5:59 PM, Pitchick said:

Thanks for that Persephone, appreciate it. Our little Frenchie walks really well on leash at present, without any distractions.

I will google loose leash walking and see what it says. It would just be nice to take a walk down to letterbox and not have her dart out the front door, but just walk with me, although she is getting a bit better.

I'd suggest you treat the door dashing as a separate issue.   You can work on both things separately.   For the door dash, IMO it's really worth teaching door/gate manners .. training an alternative behaviour .. e.g. for my two .. I put my hand on the door handle, they sit, I open the door .. if they get up , I close the door, if they maintain their sit, they are released to go out the door.  It doesn't have to be a sit .. just a stationary behaviour .. I like the sit because it's clear that they are thinking.  When I'm training, initially, I might reward the sit at the door with a treat or two, then pause ..but once they get it , the permission to go out the door is their reinforcer.  Oh,and I build in my going out the door first while they maintain the sit .. if they don't , again, they've lost the opportunity to go out straight away .. small pause, try again.  Same rules apply for exiting the car.

• Like 1