Elderly neighbour puppy farm needs assistance with his dogs safety!

sporti

Neighbours dogs are entering my property. 2 risks. High voltage electric fence, 2 maremmas guarding my stock.

We have fence set high to keep cattle and sheep in. 

Question 1: would a small toy oodle thing survive the shock?

They do bark to deter intruders, but sometimes kangaroos ignore the warnings and get taken out by the dogs. so they are not just paddock ornaments. They will defend the stock if the intruder does not get out at the barking chasing stage. 

Question 2: would my working maremmas be punished for killing a dog on our land? 

I can shoot the dogs for worrying stock. And legally be fine, though shooting a dog is not something im capable of, or would ever do. And death by maremma? not sure how legally i would stand there. 

We are working on a solutions. But worried about question 2 in particular. and one, but more ?2 as these are much loved working dogs.

I'd be making a complaint to your local council about the wandering dogs. That way there is a record of them straying. Better still if you got some photo's. You can also ask them about question 2 but my understanding is your dogs would not be punished as long as they remain on your land. A paper trail, i.e. emails would would be good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Loving my Oldies said:

I agree with Rebanne.  Start the paper trail.  

I wonder if the council knows your neighbour is a puppy farm?  

And ask the council if you will be held responsible if your dogs kill an intruder

Definately all the points above re alerting council of both the dogs coming onto your land and the puppy farm's existence,  plus keeping a paper trail. Also not sure what terms you are already on with your neighbour, but if you had some evidence of the situation -those sensor activated outdoor cameras may be useful for this-your neighbour may be persuaded to opt for paying for an extension to your fence - say with wire mesh, to block the gap between your fence and the ground,  or even building a whole new adjoining fence to keep their dogs safe. ( After all you have had the biggest outlay of the initial fence). If not, I think your neighbour would be at fault if the dogs were straying and they would need to bear the consequences.

Edited by Ray27

I wonder if you have told the neighbour what is likely to happen should your dogs catch an intruder. That would be my first move - thehn they know. Write in down - make a copy - stick it the mailbox. be very concerned & polite , but factual. IF my patrolling dogs feel their stock is in danger - they will react by ...... they will not see a stray dog as less intrusive as a fox...

• Like 1

I would not mention your dogs potentially harming the dog or any dog.

I would simply say as many good stock owners do I have working Maremma doing there guardian job to protect the stock and alert us off intruders .

I would be emphasing the risk off a small dog around stock ,the electric fence  ,the fact the dog/s are roaming .

I would start a paper trail simply regarding wondering dogs  and your concern for those dogs .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 4

Go and speak to them.

Mail box notes seem to me not too friendly like they may think you don't want to engage with them as neighbours.

Once had a letter in my mail box about my cat wandering however it turned out not to be my cat at all she was an inside cat.

I went across the road and spoke to them and we worked out it was a stray cat that was the culprit.

Knock on the door and tell them you are worried about their dogs getting injured.

These days people spend too much time in front of a computer trying to solve problems.

Talk to your neighbours they are people and may have concerns too and are shy to talk to you .

work it out together.

• Like 1

Ive written to council as paper trail. Thanks as i had not thought about it. 

Ive spoken to neighbour who has apologised, and says he'll keep dog in, but others living there are less vigilant with dogs escaping. He cant renew the fence as renting/too costly. He seriously understands now they will take his dog out potentially. So will try to keep dog out.

I tried to alert rspca re.puppy farm. But as hes a registered breeder, it not illegal to breed every heat, just not good practice there was nothing they could do about that.  I had the two litters + dams here for 3 wks, if they had come and seen the matts on the dams, maybe we could of gotten some neglect traction, but they came at week 5 when id returned them. 

My bitch is coming out of heat, so less attractive to his stud, so less likely to want to visit. 

Council says dogs are registered as working dogs, if dogs kill intruding roaming dogs on my land its ok. If they follow escaping dog off my land and kill, i get a dangerous dog label and must obey laws for containment 24/7. Ie wont be able to work them any more.

I feel ive done all i can.

• Like 3