I have a litter of 7 ESS pups.  Two have unattached rear dew claws, which, unfortunately, neither I nor the vet noticed.  I never remove front dew claws, but am not sure how to feel about unattached rears.  Is it better to have a vet do them, or wait and let puppy buyers decide what to do.  (If I were a puppy buyer I'd probably wait and have them removed next time the dog had reason to be anaesthetised).

I was always told to get them off because they are usually so loose and can catch on things easily often ripping them out. A simple snip after some local can be done by the vet.

• Like 5

If the pups are more than a few days old now, I’d just tell the new owners to get them sorted out at desexing, or other anaesthetic.  
As a groomer who sees many un attached rear dew claws, I’ve never spoken to an owner who’s dog had problems with them. I have however known many groomers who’ve run a seven blade down an over grown leg/ hock only to discover them after the fact, having run the blade into them and part way or wholly severed them. They’re a bit of a curse for groomers! 

• Like 2