Breed recommendation - gently friendly, minimal coat

Help me with the next breed for us. Still a few years away yet. 

Non-negotiable: Gentle with other dogs and motivated to befriend them. Medium to large in size. No excessive drooling. No significant grooming requirements. Really needs to be able to switch off quickly regardless of the environment and be nice and steady.

Ideal but can compromise on: Can handle long, slow runs in warm weather. Will enjoy (does not need to be good at) flyball. 

Current list: Field line Golden retriever, Dalmatian (must be LUA), Curly-coated retriever, Italian spinone

Not really a gundog kind of person. GSP, Pointer and Vizsla are all kind of soft for my liking, and also excessively boisterous. Spaniels I think are not steady creatures. I can't stand Labs. Berner is too much coat. Newfie too big and too much coat. Brittany a bit too predatory. I don't want anything that is likely to range far and wide when off leash. Whippets I think are not really designed for the kind of terrain I run in. I worry they will go after a wallaby and rip themselves to shreds in the scrub or go over a rock ledge. We live in the outer city. 

Honestly, if I could have a Samoyed or another Finnish lapphund with a short coat, I would not need to ask for suggestions. The gentle, friendly, outgoing temperament is exactly what I'm looking for. I just can't do another coat like that. 

I ADORE Spinone (and Bracco) but they are droolers! 

Maybe a little small but a Kelpie from the right lines. 

Collie smooth. 

if you’d consider a curly, take a look at flatties & chessies too. 

some of the Coolies and short coat Border Collies I’ve met have been the sweetest most biddable dogs I’ve ever worked with.
 Outside the box, Deerhound, Elkhound 

Another that springs to mind is the Huntaway although I don’t think it’s official here in Aust. 

I used to show Curly Coated Retrievers when I was a kid.  Extremely intelligent, easy going, easy to train & obedient   I loved them to pieces.

I don't think Chows are remotely sociable.

If I knew what the "right" lines were for a kelpie like this, I would be very happy. I have met them, but all the ones I've ever known like this were randoms off a farm somewhere.

I think the wet beard thing on spins might be a deal breaker!

German spitz is too much hair and too small.

Toller I think are not really cruisey/sociable enough for what I want.

Its a shame you don't want the coat because a Keeshond would suit all of that. So perhaps a Field spaniel? brittany?

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

20 hours ago, corvus said:

Toller I think are not really cruisey/sociable enough for what I want.

Interesting yet you list Spinone but don’t want to own a soft Gundog and Spinone are very soft .

Norwegian Elkhound could work 

19 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Interesting yet you list Spinone but don’t want to own a soft Gundog and Spinone are very soft .

Norwegian Elkhound could work 

I don't want a soft and also boisterous gundog. Honestly, I think that wet beard is a bigger deal than the softness of the breed. Elkhounds I think have too much coat. It's very dense. 

Australian Cattle dog.

Owned one as a teenager.

He was a great dog friendly to everyone he loved cats playing with other dogs  ball games and running but was also happy to

just hang out with me and relax.

57 minutes ago, Rozzie said:

ASTCD. 

Do you mean a stumpy tail cattle dog? I don't think a cattle dog of any type would be a good bet for us, regardless of the fact I think they are cool.

17 minutes ago, Kirislin said:

hey have you still got that hare? I suppose it might’ve died from old age by now, it was a while back.

I've been hareless for probably about a decade now. I still miss him. My lapphund is 13, vallhund is 12, and the "new" tyke though she still seems like the baby is nearly 6. She is a podengo. I don't think she would have been compatible with the hare!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, corvus said:

I don't want a soft and also boisterous gundog. Honestly, I think that wet beard is a bigger deal than the softness of the breed. Elkhounds I think have too much coat. It's very dense. 

But Curlies have a higher maintenance coat than an Elkhound 

12 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Sighthounds? There's plenty of crossbreds - lurchers/longdogs/roo hounds/bull arabs - that would fit those criteria, if you wanted an adult.

A Greyhound ?