Breed recommendation - gently friendly, minimal coat

On 15/08/2021 at 6:42 AM, sandgrubber said:

Have you looked over the hounds?  Especially the American varieties such as blue tick, red bone, coon hound, various tree hounds?

Yeah, I am frankly terrified of the idea of a coonhound off leash in the bush, though. I get the impression they will find a scent and follow it to the ends of the earth and I will not exist. They are supposed to be very persistent. I do love me a hound dog, but I am not going to have fun trying to negotiate some of the steep trails around here with a large dog attached to me because it can't be trusted off leash at all.

On 13/08/2021 at 4:25 PM, Dogsfevr said:

But Curlies have a higher maintenance coat than an Elkhound 

It's not about the maintenance so much as the heat tolerance. I have spent the last 13 years having internal debates like "Can I take Kivi to this? How hot is it going to get? Will there be shade? Is it likely to run overtime?" There are plenty of times I left him at home when I would have not had to worry about it at all if he was the pod. The coat maintenance itself is another factor. I mean, I'm certainly over manually stripping impacted undercoat out with a comb. I'm over grooming a dog that hates it because it always hurts no matter how gentle I am. That is a welfare compromise I am not willing to make. But, if it's a bit of brushing here and there, no biggy. I have clippers and scissors, even and don't really mind using them. I wouldn't want it to be something I had to do religiously, though. My life gets unexpectedly very busy at times and it will be a few weeks before I finally get around to spending several hours in a block on coat care. So I don't want a dog that will need several hours in a block on coat care. Or a dog that will get hot easily. 

I’ll repeat one of my picks from above in the Smooth Collie. 
And other short coated working breeds & types. 
Another breed that occurred to me before but I didn’t end up adding was the Dutch Shepherd 

some people will think I’m mental to suggest but all of the “Bull Arab” I’ve ever met, especially the boys, have been incredibly even tempered dogs.  

with some of the types, unofficial breeds, its not that hard to find, follow and get to know breeders and dogs in much the same way as finding pedigree dogs. 

You mentioned Curlies above. They actually have quite thick dense ‘water repellent’ coats that can get enormously thick and more profuse with desexing. 

Dalmations would certainly be worth a look. I’ve met more than a few in grooming that unfortunately have very sketchy temperaments, but also some rock solid ones. 

Like any breed or type, getting to know lines & breeders is paramount. 

• Like 1

I agree with the Smooth Collie suggestion above. 

English Setters have the temperament you want and I can’t recommend them highly enough BUT some drool and although I find the coat easier than I expected, I brush for 5-10 minutes a day, bath every 2-3 weeks and pro groom every 8-10 weeks so there is some grooming involved. 

Hi,

we have just got an eighteen month old Kelpie rescue Dog.

i assume he was mistreated as he is very very scared of me and very very clingy to my wife.

hes a good dog in the main but is very anxious.

this leads to him weeing himself everytime i even ask him to move or come here, he also looks like hes intimidated by the kids when they start running around and he will get his hackles up too quickly sometimes and at othertimes hes the most placid creature around them in the world.

i walk him in the mornings and he is already adapted to that routine and is never scared of me in the mornings as i assume he feels safe with the routine. 

if anyone has any advice apart from being patient and maintaining routine it would be greatly recieved.

Sounds like you need a Xoloitzcuintli!!! It has everything you want in spades. The hairless variety has a hide rather than skin, so zero coat maintenance. The coated variety have a short, flat coat. They're a really robust, clever breed who love activity.

Edited by MrsT
More info about the breed.

On 18/08/2021 at 8:05 PM, Cosmolo said:

I agree with the Smooth Collie suggestion above. 

English Setters have the temperament you want and I can’t recommend them highly enough BUT some drool and although I find the coat easier than I expected, I brush for 5-10 minutes a day, bath every 2-3 weeks and pro groom every 8-10 weeks so there is some grooming involved. 

I would not recommend an ES at all for the likes and dislikes of the OP and especially not wanting a soft Gundog 

Edited by Dogsfevr

In my experience English Setters are soft but confident, sociable gundogs with plenty of useable drive without being over the top. Soft without being at all weak nerved 

Mine is absolutely steadfast and reliable in temperament, as are a number of others I know. 

Edited by Cosmolo

Collie - Mmm, I'm a bit scared by reports of high rates of soft tissue injuries.

Weim - I know precisely one weim with a stable temperament. I don't know what is going on with that breed, but there are some very troubling anxiety tendencies emerging.

Ridgeback - I feel like being a behaviourist ruins a lot of breeds. I know rationally there are some nice ones, but lordee can these dogs be scary. I can't bring myself to take a punt on them.

ES - 1) I can't stand the show look. 2) They are usually used as the benchmark for a breed that works far from the hunter. I already have one dog that thinks nothing of being 200m away from me and it's hard work in suburbia despite lots of training. I'd prefer something that will tend to stay close. 

Xolo - I don't think these guys are quite as unflappable/sociable as I am looking for.

Buhund - Certainly tempting, but would like something a little bigger. 

What about a Portugese water dog? One of my staff has two and I’ve met a few from the breeder of his- terrific dogs that I think fulfil most if not all of your criteria. 

Ok think I  may have found the one!

https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/868466

Otherwise if wanting a puebred, which I should be promoting here, how about the  Bouvier des Flandres?

"They are an excellent fit for an active household with an owner who hikes or jogs or even bikes" taken from Dogs NSW.

Sounds like they are fit, strong, can run for miles & have a rough type coat suited to extremes of temperature.  They also don't sound "soft" & apparently also potentially good at agility. Not sure if there are many breeders available though!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ish said:

Border collie

Definately think the  Border Collie may be a great suggestion- the smooth would give you less coat as well. Obvious choice for active lifestyle, highly trainable so would stay on the trail with you, and definately a winner at agility!  Meanwhile the Rescue dog I suggested above has been adopted so that is good news :)

All the best with whatever breed you choose though corvus! Please send us lots of photos when that day comes!