Share this story

paul1

Your all dog lovers so thought i'd share this story . Sit back go get a brew its more like a novel LOL ,, OK  Lets go back  over 30    years , I had a staffie called Toby and decided he needed a play mate , So i went and bought this long haired shepard , breeder  told me , he was not good to show because he was long haired and toooo big ,,  who cares he was a pet ,, anyway Sam  (his name ) turned into the biggest softest    shepard you ever seen ,  my youngest 2 at the time used to play cowboys with him all day ,  they slept together  Sam actually used to lie down while the baby got on his back said gee up  doggies  and walked around the garden with him ,,, anyway the  staffie left us , and not long after  i rescued another beutiful dog , needing a home ,  a big rottweiler bitch ,, her and sam became best mates , all good   , But Sam had one BIG PROBLEM ,   he was too freindly ,  on the dog beach  let him have a run and boom he's gone running up to any and everyone  only wanting a pat and a play ,, but he was scary  he was so big .  , I used to walk them both for hrs each day , but could'nt really take Sam near people , has freindly has he was ,  he just would'nt stop running up and mainly scaring people through his size and looks

Anyway forward a couple of years , and we moved ,   but unfortunatly  the fences were ricketty racketty  and falling down , the  road at the rear of our street   the end of a long garden  was easy accessable ,  now   both dogs  could get out and i did'nt have the money to fix them ,, now the rotty was never a problem  she did'nt  want to leave the garden and when outside ,  just lay by the back door , Sam however was  a problem , if he seen anyone walking past at the end , he was off , and people would see what resembles a bear running full blast at them , it scared the life out of hthem  , i did'nt have the money  and i was never gonna chain him up , so felt i had no choice but to give away  , the most gentle dog and my best mate ,  , so i gave him away .  it broke my heart but felt i had no choice  he was around 7 then

Now every man and his dog wanted Sam ,,  but i picked a young couple  they had a shepard  and wanted a playmate ,, alarm bells should of rang when they asked for his papers ,, and i told them  you can't have them , he's a pet not a breeder  but the bells did'nt ring i was just glad he seemed to be going to a nice home .

Anyway fast forward another  5 years  Ebony is coming to the end she's getting old    and its not long before she's like 10 and she goes ,,  by then  the fences were done , evrything is fine ,  about 4 months before Ebony died i had got another rotty pup  , when she went ,  i thought i'll go get him a playmate , i've always owned 2 dogs ,,,

Now one thing i've forgot to mention about Sam , was he ALWAYS from day 1 , had a very loud and very ditinctive moan , he would cuddle up want a pat and just sort of wale and moan   whenever you patted him he would do this moan .

Anyway  i'm gonna get my puppy rotty a mate  , so off i go to the Lonsdale rspca   i went a few times ,  not knowing what i would get but seeing whats on offer  and on this day i'm walking  up and down the kennels and heard this moan ,  i listened  looked in all the kennels  but  it was'nt them dogs , but i could here it ,  anyway theres a wall i determin its coming from the other side , i'm thinking THATS SAM  so i jumps  // climbs on top of the wall  and guesss who's there playing ball , with a volunteer ,,  i shouts SAM   he looks  comes charging over and trying to jump up to me ,,  he recognised me and me him  he was around 12 then and  it had been 5 years or so .

Well off i marched into the office , i said , straight out ,, you got my dog i want him back ,, they all looked at each other like i'm a madman , i explained , that when i let him go the fella was under strict instructions , to NEVER SELL OR GIVE HIM AWAY , the agreement was he could keep Sam , but he wa always mine and came back if they changed there mind ,

So next day , RSPCA  RING ME  they start asking questions  do i remember who i gave him too , where did they live , what did they  look like ,,  i answered but said never mind them i want my dog back ,,  an officer from them came to see me and brought pictures of SAM  he was not the same dog , the pics they shown me were of a  scaggy looking thing with no fur and totally totally emancinated ,,  it was a terrible case of neglect ,,, they explained they could'nt return him because Sam was still an ongoing court case  they were prosecuting the guy ,, but he had continually claimed he found him like that with a skin desease and  tried to  fix him ,  they said the guy was a smart arse  , and knew all the answers

Anyway few days go by    i was so angry i actually went to the guys adress   he had left with me still had it in  my telephone book ,  dispite the wife pleading with me not too , i went there to give him a flogging and a taste of his own medicine  i was really angry , lucky for me i suppose  he had moved , Rspca would'nt tell me where  , Anyway the rspca  asked me would i testify ,,  and   they were sure with   my testimony they would have him ,, bloody oath i will ,, i said , but to be honest  i told the wife , when he walks out of that court i'm gonna give him the biggest flogging of his life , i was still spewing and angry for weeks

So the court date is given to  me ,  i'm preparing to go and see this prick get his just deserts after all these years , both in and out the court , the wifes worried because she knows i'm determinned to take my revenge regardless ,     ,   we have about a week to go , and i get a phone call from the head of the RSPCA  , he  / she  can't remember  says to me ,,   that Paul ,  yep i say ,, they say your dog Sams at the Lonsdale shelter   come and get him he's waiting for you  Whaat i say  they say the case has finished , when the guy learnt  they had a witness mainly me , he pleaded guilty its  finished so now there free to do what they want with the dog and they would  be happy to return him to me ,

I went up got Sam and brought him home , he fully remembered all of us  , he became best mates with my male rotty and lived another 6 years or so , when i had to put him down because he was really just very old ,, 18 i think he was  , think  probably  15  years or so  ago now that he died ,,  the rotty Naz a lovely dog has well  died at about 8    we said no more dogs  ,  its heartbreaking when they go  ,, but i succummbed , i took in a 12 month old  stumpy tail that needed a home ,  but at around 3  i  gave him to my son  where he could get more excercise  with the kids , he's proven to be  a perfect familly dog , loves the kids and  great with the babies ,,   about 5 years ago i rescued a little maltese cross , from the pound , we still have him , but   he's not a proper dog  he's lovable and cute ,   but he's more like having a baby than a dog . he'll always be there ,  , but i look at him   sleeping on his back 15 hrs a day  and on  someones lap  the other 9 hrs ,  well i just look at him laugh and say , we really have to get a proper dog , .

But there will never ever be another Sam ..  just thought i would share that story with you all , a bit long winded , but heh passed some tim writing and reading it ,, some might even remember  think it was this day tonight came and done a story on it  ,, they said it was unbeilivable , that i actually heard the moan / whine and  climbed a wall to see ,

Side note , turns out my mate met a lady , and married her  and she was the one that was actually playing with Sam when i climbed the wall , hows that for coincidence

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1