weight loss diets

We had a different vet at Scrappi's appointment this week. Scrap had somehow put on nearly a kilo in the past month and of course needs to keep the weight low to ease workload on his joints. He fluctuates between 14-15kg but should probably be more like 13-14kg like he was as a youngin. 

The vet recommended Hills Prescription r/d Weight Loss... which I usually DESPISE Hills/Royal Canin/Advance etc etc. as they're full of cheap ingredients and corn etc. for a ridiculously steep price.  

However, he does need to lose weight and if we cut down his current food any further he will be hungry and cranky. 

Currently he gets about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of MfM Lite turkey and lamb kibble twice a day. (or raw meat or veggies or fish etc, but an appropriate amount for his size). 

So Meals for Mutts is 9% fat and they say to give about 110g a day (2/3 cup)

Hills Prescription r/d Weight Loss is 8.2% fat however they say to give 165g (2 cups) a day!!!

Royal Canin Satiety is 9.5% fat and they say to give 163-190g a day !! (2- 2 1/3 cups)

I'm also considering Advance Weight Control 

This makes no sense at all to me, besides just being very heavy on the fibre to fill up bellies. However the higher fat content of Satiety seems counterproductive. 

So if anyone has any idea please let me know ahaha

Edited by scrappimonty

Rice will still put on weight. I adjust my dogs’ diet daily depending on how they are looking. Rather than changing diets I just feed less or more. You can cut his meal in half and add some mashed pumpkin to fill him up.

You can increase satiety by using food toys or using it for training. It’s often the foraging that contributes to satiety more. 

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Premium dry food is based on that being solely feed .

You are then adding over the recommendation.

Feed what you do and change the amount .

What treats does he get .

What is an appropriate amount for its size in meat ,what kind off meat ?

So what changed in the past month ?

Hi all, he currently only gets a level 1/3 cup of kibble for breakfast (used to be 1/2 cup of a higher fat food, then switched to 1/2 cup lite food, then 1/3 cup now). And then he'll either get 1/3 cup again for dinner or probably 100-150g meat/raw food (to be honest I just eyeball it) (e.g. 1/2 Big Dog patty OR a chicken drumstick OR about the equivalent amount of chicken giblets and a little liver) 

But if we fed him any less than 1/3 cup he would be begging all day and hungry. 

I only thought maybe rice as that seems to be the main ingredient for some of these weight loss diets, just fibre to keep them full. I'll have to try some more veggies and cut down the kibble then perhaps. He doesn't get much exercise besides cardio zooming around the backyard for a few hours a day. He drags/knuckles his back feet on the concrete and can't walk very far so he doesn't get walks very often these days. 

17 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Premium dry food is based on that being solely feed .

You are then adding over the recommendation.

Feed what you do and change the amount .

What treats does he get .

What is an appropriate amount for its size in meat ,what kind off meat ?

So what changed in the past month ?

If we put anything extra with the kibble we significantly minimise the amount of kibble accordingly, (e.g. if he has a special treat sardine with his kibble he'll get a bit less than 1/4 cup kibble.) Usually we therefore feed either 1/3 cup of kibble OR some mince/meat or a drumstick or whatever. 

He doesn't get treats particularly often, about once a week. But then mostly only a carrot or a sardine. Occasionally they have a chew like a small bully stick or shark cartilage.  He gets a little piece of crust from my toast of a morning. If we do training games I use his dinner. 

I think the only thing that has changed lately is he has been on the Gabapentin for about 6 weeks so perhaps that could mess with his metabolism. Will look into it.