Buying a Dobermann Puppy

Haas

3 hours ago, moosmum said:

Wow! Yes, mirrors what I've been saying.

I doubt her solution is going to change things though. It already happens 'local' to specific canine interest and hasn't the clout to bring the paradigm shift needed to alter the out come of whats looking unstopable in its momentum.

An entirely new start based on Purpose/function and Response ability is urgently needed and may already be too late. 

The public has been well trained to  accept and expect those things are beyond a public domain and restriction of ownership/breeding must be the ongoing 'solution'.

Yes. Thoughtful breeders are an even more endangered “species” than well bred dogs. I think splitting dog breeding enthusiasts into more and more separate and often opposing interest groups will do greater harm than good. Also, although I don’t think the pedigree show dog fraternity has all the answers, I don’t see the benefit of creating new “breeds”. There’s a lot of propaganda about poodle crosses and I doubt if many cooperatives would have sufficient knowledge and resources to stabilise type or temperament and also avoid creating new inbred populations with their own lists of genetic susceptibility to disease.

• Like 2

"Jessica Hekman: I think it would be that the way that we handle dog breeding as a society is not keeping up with the changes of the 21st century, and that we need to change how we handle dog breeding. I don't think that the changes are actually that difficult. I think the most difficult thing will be overcoming the entrenched perspective in the culture of dog breeding about being what an ethical, responsible breeder looks like. If we can start changing what that picture of a responsible, ethical breeder is, or expanding it to include some new characters, that would be the message that I would want to get across to everybody"

be a miracle to get them working together for the good of the dogs but have to keep hoping.

the alternative is extinction

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The alternative is to have mentors and the use of proper breeder experienced veterinary services. Education.
People breeding popular breeds need to stop lying and claiming fantasy theories about their provenance and health. They are not doing even the 'new' or exotic (meaning long haired frenchies etc) breeds any favours. 

Extinction isn't going to happen in our lifetime (despite the pressure from PETA and other nutters) but rare and endangered breeds are going to die out due to lack of popularity or even knowledge of their existence. Or maybe even the possessive nature of keeping them within an elite circle. :( 

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

Yes. Thoughtful breeders are an even more endangered “species” than well bred dogs. I think splitting dog breeding enthusiasts into more and more separate and often opposing interest groups will do greater harm than good. Also, although I don’t think the pedigree show dog fraternity has all the answers, I don’t see the benefit of creating new “breeds”. There’s a lot of propaganda about poodle crosses and I doubt if many cooperatives would have sufficient knowledge and resources to stabilise type or temperament and also avoid creating new inbred populations with their own lists of genetic susceptibility to disease.

Yes.

Let them evolve naturally into breeds, If enough people choose similar types as with the breeds we have. Not create breeds as a short cut to  'legitimacy'.

But there should be no shame to admitting a purposeful cross either.

On 18/09/2021 at 5:31 PM, asal said:

serious

food for thought ....  pardon the pun.

Love his work.  BBC journalist.  This on the book has just come up on u-tube, good stuff, right through to the last bit on the recovery of Serbian Lentils.

And there's also some good thought-pieces on the Clarksons Farm (Prime/Amazon) series on how unsustainable farming and bird/insect extinctions are leading to the food crisis Saladino writes about.

• Like 2