Magpies to be "culled" due to swooping

tdierikx

This is WRONG!

https://7news.com.au/news/nsw/magpies-to-be-culled-in-lane-cove-council-after-spate-of-attacks-c-3908542?fbclid=IwAR0hpfItAv7DlXrCbiwFs_YD5_cOVnVPDxYUKK29VhtqOUz2TLSMBRpgAqU

FFS! WE humans keep encroaching on their habitat, then get shitty when they defend their young in the tiny spots we allow them to live in. This is NOT new behaviour from magpies, and we in Australia are well aware of when they will be doing it every year. Here's a novel thought... maybe WE need to adjust OUR habits to allow these beautiful birds to care for their young for those few precious weeks... just stay the F away from them...

T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, asal said:

marking out a no go zone for the humans and no more attacked.

its not as if they are guarding a big area

Like when DogsNSW marks out the area in it's car park where the plovers like to raise their little ones each year, yes?

T.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boronia said:

It won't happen T, there would be so much backlash from communities.

Imagine the flak the Councillors would get

the ignorance added to the arrogance of too many humans is appalling.

the no go zone necessary is only 100 mtrs at most, usually less.

love my photo of the plover unsheathing its spur's  because tdierixk had wiggled less than another a foot closer to get a good photo and it decided she had crossed the no go line.

the immenent threat is palpable, second she moved back they were resheathed n they were content to warn us to come no closer

they have rights

Edited by asal
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, asal said:

love my photo of the plover unsheathing its spur's  because tdierixk had wiggled less than another a foot closer to get a good photo and it decided she had crossed the no go line.

I also got some awesome swooping behaviour shots... and we were well back from the marked out area with our zoom lenses that day too.

I usually don't have much time for Emma Hurst's parliamentary antics... but I'll happily let her have a go at stopping this magpie cull...

T.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, asal said:

the immenent threat is palpable, second she moved back they were resheathed n they were content to warn us to come no closer

In another lifetime, I used to be a morning runner.  I was miles from home and houses along a secondary road and stopped to look at some lovely birds about 50-60 metres away, two adults and a juvenile.  Suddenly, a Stealth Bomber launched itself on an unwavering course straight for me.  I probably could have won the marathon that day.  

I used to live in Brisbane and my run was mostly along Gympie Road.  When I neared a school, I used to move onto the median strip hoping to avoid the Magpies.  By god, they were terrifying.  I used to carry a handkerchief and when I neared the areas where they were nesting, I’d run along waving the hanky over my head.  I used to almost crack up laughing at how ridiculous I must have looked.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I used to pick up my grandchildren from Primary school, the area for car parking was alongside a large park.  Every Magpie season the birds used the park's large old trees to nest and bring up their babies and there was one particular Magpie who was more "vigilant" than the others.  All people picking up their children took to carrying an umbrella and using it at the first sign of swooping.  Usually problem solved, it only lasted a few weeks and humans and birds all went back to normal activity!  Why we need to kill birds and animals who are in their natural habitat, doing what they do naturally, is beyond me.  Avoid the area for a few weeks, take a different route or carry an umbrella or similar .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When we lived rural, the local primary school had a resident magpie that made life a bit difficult during breeding season every year... and the school's solution was to have all the kids make "helmets" out of plastic ice cream cartons, and they wore them for those few weeks when they went out in the playground. Worked a treat!! No kids were ever hurt by the magpie...

God forbid that scenario happened in a suburban city school... guarantee the magpie would be "relocated to god"... grrr!

T.

• Like 3