I have good news.

Kirislin

I’ve gone back to Soda and it’s sticking now and he answers to it.   He’s doing well, growing like a weed.  He will be bigger than the sort of whippet I like but then so were Tag and Puck and I couldn’t have loved them more, so in the end it doesn’t matter. 
His pedigree certificate arrived yesterday, his registered name is Ridgesetter Locked In My Heart. 

554D5D4B-010D-490E-9AED-0D1FADCF58C4.jpeg

• Like 13

On 10/09/2021 at 7:03 PM, DogsAndTheMob said:

He’s gorgeous. That combination of dark eyes against the cream and white is just so special.Genetically,what’s the difference between cream and fawn in whippets? Is cream ee and fawn Ay__?

How about Brûlée for the name?

I can’t explain the genetics of cream.  It’s been referred to as a masking gene and can pop up after generations from any colour whippet. I’ve seen it appear from a lot of brindles.  I do know if you mate 2 creams together you will only get creams.

it reminds me of my favourite breed of horse, the Akhal Teke with their magnificent metallic sheen. They often produce creams.   
I even considered naming him Teke but decided against it.

• Like 3

@Kirislin the masking gene is cool - really messes things up. In ESS, black is dominant and liver is recessive. Pretty simple stuff. But then you have tri-colour which gives the tan points that my Luna has. Her dad was a tri-colour but I didn’t realise Ginny carried tri….we ended up with 5 tri-coloured out of 7!!! 

The sire of this litter carries tri and we’ve ended up with 3 out of 10. But what’s cool is that the sire’s mother is genetically a tri-colour but also has the masking gene so looks liver and white! Which explains why tri-colour can disappear for generations! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kirislin said:

I can’t explain the genetics of cream.  It’s been referred to as a masking gene and can pop up after generations from any colour whippet. I’ve seen it appear from a lot of brindles.  I do know if you mate 2 creams together you will only get creams.

it reminds me of my favourite breed of horse, the Akhal Teke with their magnificent metallic sheen. They often produce creams.   
I even considered naming him Teke but decided against it.

I googled and found the Intensity dilution, which affects some sighthound breeds. Maybe this?

https://vgl.ucdavis.edu/test/intensity-dog

He’s beautiful, regardless.

I assume cream whippets are ‘ee’ ‘recessive red’ or ‘recessive yellow’. It prevents expression of any black/blue/liver (eumelanin) pigment in the coat (but not in the nose or eyerims, although they can fade).
And as you need a copy from both parents to express it can be carried for generations without being visible, then  two carriers get mated and it pops up. And if you mate two ee together you only get cream (or parti-coloured/extreme white depending on the white spotting genes).  

Samoyeds are pretty much all ee, just with much paler ‘yellow’ (pheomelanin) pigment, and so are yellow Labradors and Swiss Shepherds. 
The ‘intensity’ modifiers make the pheomelanin a darker or lighter shade. Other genes do that lightening too but for most breeds it’s intensity - although they haven’t found them all yet I don’t think. 

if you scroll down this description of the extension series it has a good explanation of recessive red

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/masks.html

The other way you get red/yellow is sable Ay as already mentioned. Most sables  have some black/blue etc hairs somewhere, but if not it can be hard to tell a really ‘clear’ sable from a recessive red. But as I understand it recessive reds should always have white whiskers. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He’s growing like a weed.  I weighed him yesterday at 14 weeks old. He’s 8.2 kgs.  Like most modern whippets today he won’t be small.  I’m hoping he won’t be much more than 15 kilos. Actually I’m hoping he will be less, but it’s unlikely and I’ll love him regardless.  He’s already stolen my heart. 
Todays photo. I’d picked all the dog beds and toys, and blankets and everything else puppy related off the floor to vacuum.  He clambered up off the floor too. 

1CB49420-0A79-4E9B-8317-94BC48B12456.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 3