concern new puppy owner

Janine 1

Hi there, just wondering if anyone can offer ideas/ suggestions to why our little golden retriver pup makes little whining / whimpering noises whilst sleeping or at times he looks like his uncomfortable! 

we took him to vets  5 days ago as he was not eating and very lethargic! turned out he had canine carnivorous! his still not himself and not really eating!

but its the strange noises he makes if u touch him  or whilst lying there awake/ askeep! he seems to bark lots too! he is only 8 weeks old, we have had him only for a week!

Any suggestions?  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Janine 1 said:

Hi there, just wondering if anyone can offer ideas/ suggestions to why our little golden retriver pup makes little whining / whimpering noises whilst sleeping or at times he looks like his uncomfortable! 

we took him to vets  5 days ago as he was not eating and very lethargic! turned out he had canine carnivorous! his still not himself and not really eating!

but its the strange noises he makes if u touch him  or whilst lying there awake/ askeep! he seems to bark lots too! he is only 8 weeks old, we have had him only for a week!

Any suggestions?  

Do you mean parvovirus? Or coronavirus?

Did he stay in hospital?

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Like 1

hi janine.

im confused , the word carnivorous is refers to any animal which eats meat/ flesh , eg a carnivorous animal as opposed to a , say herbivore , such as a horse or goat  it is not a sickness. i can only guess , as powerlegs says , , that you are referring to canine coronavirus .. dont worry , its not the same as the human type, though cats can catch that from us , i understand .. or as powerlegs suggests , do you mean parvovirus ?????? in either case its very much a vet matter as both are life threatening . do not delay vet meds NOW 

someones really mixed up the words a bit . all the best .  

Parvovirus and coronavirus have similar symptoms in dogs... and both can be fatal in puppies. Both present as a form of haemorrhagic gastroenteritis.

At 8 weeks of age, your pup may have had a vaccination recently... @Janine 1, when did your pup have his most recent vaccination? When was he last wormed, and with what medication? Was he vaccinated and wormed on the same day?

Depending on which form of vaccination a pup has had, a blood test may show a false positive for certain nasty diseases up to 10 days later, but that does not mean they actually have those diseases... it means that the vaccine is working, OK? Sometimes a pup may become a bit ill from vaccination, and that can be compounded if they were also wormed the same day as vaccination.

As for strange noises and twitching when asleep, that is perfectly normal, he is having dreams... my 9 year old dog still makes suckling noises and whimpers when she's asleep... I find it kinda cute... *grin*

Puppies barking at things is also normal behaviour... you just need to teach them that it is not required to bark at every little thing.

I've had hundreds of pups over the years (used to foster entire litters for rescue), and found that some will have very strange eating patterns while they are growing. I've had some that have gone off their food when having a growth spurt - some were really challenging, as they would eat like horses one week, then refuse to eat much the next week... in the end they were fine though, OK? I would be watching your pup's growth and weight gains moreso than his eating patterns... if he's still growing and gaining weight, he may just be one of those funny eaters while his body is quickly growing.

T.

• Like 3

Just like children really  they will eat when there hungry , .... set times are what we adults generally inflict .. my little dog  puts his nose up at food , will not eat   so i take it away  5-6 hrs later put it down he devours it

12 hours ago, paul1 said:

Just like children really  they will eat when there hungry , .... set times are what we adults generally inflict .. my little dog  puts his nose up at food , will not eat   so i take it away  5-6 hrs later put it down he devours it

Generally, puppies are good eaters... any changes to their eating patterns can be a cause for concern, and need to have a vet consultation in case of an underlying health issue.

In this particular case, the pup has seen a vet at least once for his problem, and had been diagnosed as actually having some such underlying illness. If he is having continuing symptoms, then a return visit to the vet is highly advisable.

T.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, paul1 said:

Whats this coronavirus , is it serious , if it  was me at 8 weeks and sick , i,d be getting a letter of the vet and taking it back to the breeder, especiellyif you paid thousands 

Coronavirus in dogs is a form of haemorrhagic gastroenteritis... basically the lesser nasty cousin of Parvo in symptoms. It causes internal bleeding that can manifest in bloody stools or vomit. Pups with this disease will display a range of symptoms, from mild illness, to life threatening internal bleeding. It is not exactly a disease I'd be trying to put off getting vet attention for.

As for attempting to connect the contraction of any disease back to the breeder, it's not that simple... many factors come into play, most of which are not within the breeder's control. Many nasty diseases have a very short gestation period, and can be contracted in any number of ways. If the original poster has had the pup for a week, and symptoms came on 5 days prior to their post here, good luck trying to blame the breeder for it, as canine coronavirus has a gestation period of 1 to 4 days... so at least 2 days in the owner's care before onset of symptoms... impossible to entirely correlate to any breeder fault.

T.

• Like 3

Maybee so ,, but if i buy a new car or tv , and it blows up after a few days ,  i want a replacement or a full refund .. Price of dogs is astronomical ,  in the other posts breedes are defending themselves left right and centre over the costs of pups ,  being so high because of the cost of breeding , , this too me is another costs , replacing faulty products  , and at the prices charged   after a week    the pup can be classed as faullty , no amaount of smooth talking  and blaming  incubation periods for the desease to worm out of a refund would convince me ,,  in there shoes ,  facts would be facts , i bought a dog , within 5-7 days  it was at the vet diagnosed sick , and  still sick , i would want a refund plus costs of the vet ,

Whats more if it was a reputable breeder , they would gladly take it back and reimburse  or so i would imagine ... Course if i  had the dog for 3 months thats different ,, but sick in a few days , Naaw refund

UNQUOTE

Defo in this case  buy the dog 2 days later   at the vet  diagnosed with an illness ,  5 days later , he's still sick . on top f that , he's now 8 weeks , means he left the mother too young at 7 weeks ,,, TAKE HIM BACK  GET YOUR MONEY BACK

Edited by paul1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, paul1 said:

Defo in this case  buy the dog 2 days later   at the vet  diagnosed with an illness ,  5 days later , he's still sick . on top f that , he's now 8 weeks , means he left the mother too young at 7 weeks ,,, TAKE HIM BACK  GET YOUR MONEY BACK

The fact that the pup could have contracted the illness whilst in the care of the new owner blurs that line unfortunately. Circumstances beyond the control of the breeder should not be their burden to bear. If you bought a new TV, then plugged it into a faulty power socket and it blew up, your chances of a refund would be reduced significantly, yes?

There is still the issue of a 100% diagnosis of any such disease in the pup. As I noted earlier, if the pup had been vaccinated within 10 days of that diagnosis, there is a high chance of a false positive test result for the diseases covered by the vaccine, as that vaccine actually uses a modified (inert) form of those diseases to initiate antibody response. Not to mention that the original poster hasn't really given an accurate disease name - could be referring to Parvovirus or Coronavirus, both of which present with similar symptoms, but can have different end results for the pup. Then there's the possibility that the pup has vaccinosis, which is an adverse reaction to the vaccine where a pup can get a bit sick for a few days to a week, then be fine. Compound being given a vaccination with worming on the same day, and you can see pups getting a bit sick from the experience more likely.

Alternately, the pup may also just be suffering from a growth spurt that has put it off it's food... or a change in diet that has caused a tummy upset reaction... or a combination of all the possibilities. All of which are well beyond the control of the breeder, so they can't necessarily be held to account for the problem.

Anyways, until the original poster comes back with an update, we are all in the dark here as to what was/is actually going on.

T.

• Like 4

Did you get him at 7 weeks old?  That is far too young.  Was he wormed and given his first vaccination?  How does he look? Does he have a lovely soft coat or is it dry?  Does he look nice and chubby all over or is he bony with a pot belly?  Some puppies do tend to make a lot of noises. My puppy talks in his sleep and sometimes just moans and groans because he wants to get in my bed and I don’t let him, so it’s hard to know if the sounds your puppy is making are normal or cries of pain.    I suspect if he was sold so young he could well be sick with any number of things.  How is he after the vets visit?

• Like 4

On 29/09/2021 at 6:29 AM, tdierikx said:

The fact that the pup could have contracted the illness whilst in the care of the new owner blurs that line unfortunately. Circumstances beyond the control of the breeder should not be their burden to bear. If you bought a new TV, then plugged it into a faulty power socket and it blew up, your chances of a refund would be reduced significantly, yes?

There is still the issue of a 100% diagnosis of any such disease in the pup. As I noted earlier, if the pup had been vaccinated within 10 days of that diagnosis, there is a high chance of a false positive test result for the diseases covered by the vaccine, as that vaccine actually uses a modified (inert) form of those diseases to initiate antibody response. Not to mention that the original poster hasn't really given an accurate disease name - could be referring to Parvovirus or Coronavirus, both of which present with similar symptoms, but can have different end results for the pup. Then there's the possibility that the pup has vaccinosis, which is an adverse reaction to the vaccine where a pup can get a bit sick for a few days to a week, then be fine. Compound being given a vaccination with worming on the same day, and you can see pups getting a bit sick from the experience more likely.

Alternately, the pup may also just be suffering from a growth spurt that has put it off it's food... or a change in diet that has caused a tummy upset reaction... or a combination of all the possibilities. All of which are well beyond the control of the breeder, so they can't necessarily be held to account for the problem.

Anyways, until the original poster comes back with an update, we are all in the dark here as to what was/is actually going on.

T.

And i,m sure many breeders paticualy  unscroupulous ones will agree wholeheartedly  with you and the scenarios you put forward ,,, However i,m sure that theres many,,  paticulary good honest breeders who would be alarmed , upset , and want to get to the bottom of why there dog got sick within 2 days of leaving home  was took to the vet and diagnosed with a desease  all in two days  , and i,m sure that these honest breeders would give a full refund or a healthy pup ,,, course  with 2 days  and a note from a vet , i doubt any civil crt would really take the part of any breeder trying to get out of there civil and moral duty ,, ,, would be interested to hear from breeders on here has to what they would  do or consider the right thing to do 

50 minutes ago, paul1 said:

And i,m sure many breeders paticualy  unscroupulous ones will agree wholeheartedly  with you and the scenarios you put forward ,,, However i,m sure that theres many,,  paticulary good honest breeders who would be alarmed , upset , and want to get to the bottom of why there dog got sick within 2 days of leaving home  was took to the vet and diagnosed with a desease  all in two days  , and i,m sure that these honest breeders would give a full refund or a healthy pup ,,, course  with 2 days  and a note from a vet , i doubt any civil crt would really take the part of any breeder trying to get out of there civil and moral duty ,, ,, would be interested to hear from breeders on here has to what they would  do or consider the right thing to do 

We still don't know what the actual problem with this pup was, and as the original poster seems to have disappeared, I guess we never will, as there is a distinct possibility that something they did once the pup was in their care caused the issue. Here's hoping that the pup is now OK...

Jumping to conclusions based on little to no real info - and no follow up - are ridiculous at best, wouldn't you say? Same goes for allocation of any fault...

T.

Edited by tdierikx
  • Like 4

True they have not been back , but they did explain well they said the dog was now 8 weeks olD , they said  they had owned him for a week and 5 days earlier they took him to the vet where he was diagnosed with a desease  5 days from a week  equals 2 days they owned him before they had to take him to a vet , now given it probably took a day or so to relize he was sick  , i,d say its fairly obvious they were sold a sick pup too young to leave its mother ,,, 

Course a follow up from them would be nice after all people took time to give them advice , good or bad 

Without more information, there is no way to know all the details.

It would be nice for the original poster to let us know how the pup is - but given the turn this thread has taken I am not sure they will. 

Talk about assumptions and pedanticness with time frames  - struth. 

• 'had him for a week' could mean 6 days or 10 days.   I did something a week ago but it was on the Wednesday, it is now Saturday
  • '8 weeks old' does not mean 56 days - it could mean he is not yet 9 weeks old.   A friend of mine has a 3 week old (human) baby.   He refers to him as '3 weeks old' for 7 days, then he will be '4 weeks old'.

I read the thread as a person asking genuine 'newbee' questions about the one of the weird and wonderful things babies do so they can learn what is normal and what is an indicator of concern - not requesting an debate with more concern about blame and timelines from people who don't know because they don't know the facts

Mutter over

Edited by BDJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2