Toy Poodle Puppy

Roseinwinter

I went to visit a litter of toy poodle puppies today and have fallen in love with this little girl. As I haven't had a poodle before, can anyone advise what to expect? I'm aware of all the grooming requirements but what are the personalities like? I met the mother who was a lovely red girl and super friendly, and apparently the father is an apricot but only saw a photo. With so many cross breeds, how can I also be 100% sure that this pup is indeed a full toy poodle?

Edited by Roseinwinter

To be 100% sure it is indeed what you are buying, the breeder would be registered with the Qld ANKC (assuming they are in Queensland) & it will come with ANKC (Dogs Qld) papers, either Mains Registered or Limited Registration Papers. This is the only way you can be 100% sure.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sheena said:

To be 100% sure it is indeed what you are buying, the breeder would be registered with the Qld ANKC (assuming they are in Queensland) & it will come with ANKC (Dogs Qld) papers, either Mains Registered or Limited Registration Papers. This is the only way you can be 100% sure.

I don't think she is registered with that, as she is selling on Gumtree and there is only mention of BIN and RPBA. Doesn't mention any papers or mains/limited, only that it is sold as pet only. This is the dogs second litter and I suspect a hobby breeder. 

1 minute ago, Rebanne said:

if the pup doesn't come with ANKC papers then you can't be 100% sure. Have the parents had their health tests and did you see the results?

She said the parents have both been cleared by Orivet but I didn't see the results myself. 

Or possibly a puppy farmer.  If she doesn't come with ANKC Registered Pedigree papers you cannot be 100% sure of what she is, or who her father was, or what size she is likely to grown, temperament etc.  You cannot be sure of what health testing her "breeder" did on the parents, if any.  She is probably (I am only guessing) that she is costing you more than buying a registered puppy from a registered breeder & you are not a 100% guaranteed of what you are buying even tho she is very cute

• Like 1

Just now, Roseinwinter said:

She said the parents have both been cleared by Orivet but I didn't see the results myself. 

ask to see the results, especially for eye tests as poodles have a couple of eye conditions which can lead to blindness. You are entitled to a copy of the parents results. You do not want to see two carriers bred together. A carrier and a clear is ok as no pup will be affected, they might be a carrier but, unless you go on to breed, it's not a problem. I imagine you are paying quite a bit so you certainly are entitled to know the health history.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sheena said:

Or possibly a puppy farmer.  If she doesn't come with ANKC Registered Pedigree papers you cannot be 100% sure of what she is, or who her father was, or what size she is likely to grown, temperament etc.  You cannot be sure of what health testing her "breeder" did on the parents, if any.  She is probably (I am only guessing) that she is costing you more than buying a registered puppy from a registered breeder & you are not a 100% guaranteed of what you are buying even tho she is very cute

Yes she is quite expensive, $7000. The mother is 3kgs and the dad 4kg. The mother was lovely temperament, but I am very much in the dark about what testing was provided, other than Orivet giving both parents the all clear. This is also the second litter to the same father, and second litter for the mother who is 2 years old. Is that too many red flags? I'm so unsure! She is very cute though! 

15 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

ask to see the results, especially for eye tests as poodles have a couple of eye conditions which can lead to blindness. You are entitled to a copy of the parents results. You do not want to see two carriers bred together. A carrier and a clear is ok as no pup will be affected, they might be a carrier but, unless you go on to breed, it's not a problem. I imagine you are paying quite a bit so you certainly are entitled to know the health history.

Thanks for that! I will ask to see the results for peace of mind! Am I right in saying that even if I see the results it doesn't guarantee it is full poodle? She is quite expensive yes, so don't want to make a costly mistake.

she is very cute and I can see why you are taken with her but it is also obvious you do want a guarantee that she is a purebred. I think 7 grand is a lot of money for an unpapered dog though I don't really know what the going price is for poodles. It is possible she is full poodle or one or both parents may have something else lurking in the background. If there is something else it may not make any difference. By what the breeder has told you they sound pure but if you want a guarantee then you need to look at an ANKC breeder and be prepared to wait a bit

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/community/poodle-toy.asp

• Like 1

Is this the ad for the pups in question @Roseinwinter?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/holmview/dogs-puppies/pure-red-toy-poodle-puppies-/1282266161

@Rebanne, only mention of papers is on the sire...

Pre Covid, a friend of mine paid $5000 for a papered toy poodle... and other Gumtree ads are asking around that price or less right now in QLD.

T.

7 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

she is very cute and I can see why you are taken with her but it is also obvious you do want a guarantee that she is a purebred. I think 7 grand is a lot of money for an unpapered dog though I don't really know what the going price is for poodles. It is possible she is full poodle or one or both parents may have something else lurking in the background. If there is something else it may not make any difference. By what the breeder has told you they sound pure but if you want a guarantee then you need to look at an ANKC breeder and be prepared to wait a bit

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/community/poodle-toy.asp

Thank you. Yes I am wanting a guarantee as I have heard such horror stories and don't want to end up one of them. She is very cute and lovely temperament but I think quite expensive. I may have to pass on her and wait for ANKC breeder just so I can be certain.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/holmview/dogs-puppies/pure-red-toy-poodle-puppies-/1282266161

Pre Covid, a friend of mine paid $5000 for a papered toy poodle... and other Gumtree ads are asking around that price or less right now in QLD.

T.

Interesting the say they are a registered breeder yet don't mention papers for the bitch. That's a red flag for me. Roseinwinter if that is your add then maybe you could push the breeder a bit more about their prefix and DogsQLD number.

2 hours ago, tdierikx said:

T.

No different ad. 

Edited by Roseinwinter