Breeder issues

RosieG

Hi all, 

We found a breeder and went to see the puppies. We liked a puppy (4 weeks old) and put a non refundable deposit on him a couple of weeks back. Since then we have a family emergency and we can no longer take on the dog and had to pull out. Instead of losing our deposit, we asked if we can transfer the sale to another buyer if we find him a suitable home and get our money back and the breeder agreed (in writing). Yesterday, the buyers met directly with the breeder and she sent me a message saying our contract of sale is now cancelled and will be taking over the sale of the puppy and the money. She said if the sale goes through with the new buyers she will refund the deposit back ($500). It’s been almost 24 hours of no contact from the breeder and she is not taking my calls or responding to my texts although the buyers have told me that they went ahead with the sale and put the deposit directly with the breeder (as opposed to our original plan or paying me the deposit and the breeder the rest of the money). Have I just been scammed? Is there anything else I can do? I feel so angry and disappointed that not only did I lose money but I did the leg work to find another suitable home for him. Should I just cut my losses and move on? Thanks. 

Edited by RosieG
Addition

The sale hasn’t gone through yet. 
The breeder has transferred the deposit to the new prospective buyer/owner so in essence they’ve only paid a deposit too. I wouldn’t think you’d get a refund until the puppy sale is complete and it’s gone to its new home. If the breeder doesn’t do what they’ve agreed at that point I’d start to worry a bit. 
if you’ve got paperwork stating your original deposit and also regarding the deposit transfer you might have a leg to stand on. If you don’t, it may be a lesson to take forward 

good luck 

Edited by Scratch
  • Like 3