Guardian Dog Owners Devastated After Breeder Takes Dogs Back

Deeds

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/australian-guardian-dog-owners-devastated-after-breeder-takes-family-pets-back/3ddaec4d-777d-45c4-9f26-5cb787dd59a1

The lawyer interviewed commented that the Sale Agreement for these dogs was more like a hire purchase agreement rather than a sale.

Are Guardian Agreements the new normal when purchasing a dog or does it only apply to "Oodles".

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Deeds said:

Are Guardian Agreements the new normal when purchasing a dog or does it only apply to "Oodles".

‘Breeders Terms’ arrangements have been around for decades, calling them guardian homes is newer. I think they are more common now. Some pure breed breeders use them too, it’s not just oodles. 

• Like 2

Sounds like a stupid sale term to go with manufactured designer/crossbred dogs.  Its stand-alone meaning is unclear and needs a following paragraph to spell it out.  (It could equally mean guardian for life, never to be challenged).  Pity that purebred breeders are being caught up in it, makes them look equally dodgy and evasive of clear terminology. 

'Breeder's Terms' is a clear and upfront description for new owners that terms and conditions apply - why change it unless the intent is to confuse?  

• Like 5

At the end of the day “contracts” aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. Possession is 9/10ths of the law so I make sure I have strong relationships with my puppy people. It’s actually more effective than scaring someone with legal stuff.

I have a girl going on breeders terms from this litter - they already have a puppy from me and I’ve told them their friendship means more to me than a litter. They will own the bitch (no charge) but the pedigree papers will be in my name. We may have one or more litters. The girl can come to me when in season or for breeding or stay with them. We will maintain open communication throughout and if they change their mind that’s ok. Costs will be for ongoing discussion, depending on expenses incurred, time put in, puppies born etc. We share the same values and love for our dogs which is more important than anything. These are people who sent me a package of freshly shorn lambs wool as a novel scent and texture for the pups :laugh:

• Like 6

I have a friend who has a dog. He is from a puppy farm and is under a guardianship contract too

She paid money, cares for him and they come get him whenever they like to breed with. After 8 litters she then pays the rest of the money, gets him desexed and he is then hers.

I really wish she talked to me before doing this. 

• Sad 7

46 minutes ago, Teebs said:

I have a friend who has a dog. He is from a puppy farm and is under a guardianship contract too

She paid money, cares for him and they come get him whenever they like to breed with. After 8 litters she then pays the rest of the money, gets him desexed and he is then hers.

I really wish she talked to me before doing this. 

No words - just sorrow.   

• Like 7

I think that’s a better outcome for the boy than staying at the puppy farm as a stud. Of course I don’t support commercial-scale intensive breeding but being taken away to sire pups from time to time is unlikely to do him any harm and he has a nice home to live and ‘retire’ in. I’d worry less about a male in that situation than a female who was taken back for a litter. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Teebs said:

.....  I really wish she talked to me before doing this. 

And Teebs if you had, it likely would have made no difference.  Because people believe what they want to believe, and all the explanation and logic you could have given them would not have changed what they want to believe.

• Like 6