Trial Puppy Rehome

Wam29

Hi hoping someone can help we purchased a puppy September 5, @ 8 weeks of age, had regularly visits with him from 6 weeks of age. @12 weeks vaccination, puppy showed aggression towards Vet, Vet proceeded to highlight major concerns around puppies behaviour at a young age, the puppy choosing fight not flight claiming a major problem he stated this was only the second puppy of this age to behave this way he had encountered in his career. Partner and I make the difficult decision to rehome. Place ad on website October 13, potential buyer makes contact and agrees to meet the puppy Saturday, October 16. Potential buyer suggests a 7 day trial to ensure the puppy is a fit for her and to ensure we were okay with the rehoming, seeing how distraught my daughter was. Payment is made (buyer taking puppy home) buyers daughter rushes me through the microchip/ownership transfer, assisting me to print off internet. I complete our portion, buyer doesn’t want to complete hers stating she will sort once home. My partner was outside attending to the puppy prior to the buyer taking him. No receipt was given for puppy as trial in place. October 19 my partner calls to request the end of the trial as daughter is not coping, no sleeping, breaking down into tears continually. Buyer refuses to return puppy claiming the trial was only if the puppy didn’t fit with her. What we have realised is my partner is the registered owner not me as stated in the ownership/microchip. Is there a way we can get our puppy back happily returning the funds. Do we have any legal rights to take him back.

• Sad 1

Why didn't you reach out to the breeder of your pup? Could have saved you a lot of heartache. 

I'm with the new owner. Trial was to see if the pup fitted in ok with them, not for you to change your mind. Seeing as how you couldn't cope with the pup as is, what's changed that makes you think you could cope with it now?

• Like 4

Ok, think on whether the pup will have changed behaviour enough for you to feel confident with him.

You rehomed for a reason, and the reason was vet advice about aggression. Rightly or wrongly, you took that advice, a transaction was made and no contract was drawn up.

States are still catching up on animal laws as far as I know, if there's no specific exemption in your state/region, animals are still regarded as property. Regardless of a chip.

You sold the property. Court is your option and I can't see you getting the pup aka 'property' back.  

Honestly, you should have just gone back to the breeder. May I ask why you didn't?

• Like 3

So on a vets advice you just got rid off pup .

Without reaching out to someone better equipped to assess the pup .

Vet visits can show many negatives with a dog doesn’t mean that’s the dogs future and some vets handling skills and knowledge is questionable as can the new owners handling .

As a breeder when we do rehome trials it’s based on the rehome home not turning out ,all aspects clearly outlined in the contract for the period never with the Oh we changed our mind .

both parties sign the rehome contract covering the time period off whose responsible for vet bills and things whilst on trial .

If you needed a break to assess the pups future boarding for a few days would have been the option .

You have no options you placed an ad for sale ,you even say in this post buyer suggested 7 day trial to make sure it was the right fit so you never had any intentions of wanting it back ,never had a behavioural assessment or contacted the breeder for advice .

Your daughter not coping is sad but you picked a pathway and your daughters upset shouldn’t be a reason to want the dog back that you quickly moved on .

• Like 4