Why will my puppy only walk if both of us walk him?

Roskythefrenchie

My 5 month old Frenchie refuses to go on walks when it’s just myself or just my husband walking him. He only walks when it’s both of us. And he seems to really enjoy the walks when it’s both of us too! He doesn’t show any obvious signs of anxiety while outdoors and hasn’t had any episodes happen that would make him fearful of being outside with just one of us. I’m so confused. He loves meeting other pups and meeting people when we go together but when it’s just one of us he does his deed then sits when I try to pull in the direction to continue walking and will only walk if it’s back towards the house. What is going on for this type of behaviour and what can we do? I really want to be able to walk him solo. 

Edited by Roskythefrenchie
Typo

Hmm I'm no dog behavioualist here (secret is I do not even own a dog at the moment so please take my info with a grain of salt!) but sounds like your Frenchie is loving his pack & wants to take both of you on the walk! I'm making alot of assumptions here, but as someone else from NSW, chances are you may have been in lockdown for a while and being only 5 mths old I am imagining your little one has seen quite a bit of the both of you together. Stepping out with just one of you may seem confusing and he may need to warm up to the idea. Perhaps time in a puppy pen indoors /or out if you have have access to a yard, whilst one of you sits nearby & the other one leaves the room or area for 10 mins ( or even less than than 10 mins at 1st!) may slowly help aclimatise him to the idea that just one of you can be fun.

The puppy pen should include a snuggly bed, somewhere to toilet- or better still pop him in it after a meal & a toilet break-,water & a favourite toy or kong stuffed with a yummy treat. If yours is an active pup- and most Frenchies often are, you can even begin this exercise after a walk with the two of you so he is already de-stressed & perhaps ready for a nap. With puppy placed in the puppy pen, one of you calmly,& without fuss, leaves the room (or immediate vicinity if outdoors), & the one who remains sits calmly nearby doing something a little boring to your puppy, ( like reading), but sitting close enough to offer a presence for your pup.Try & ignore any whimpers as the other party leaves, then when your puppy is quiet , move closer & offer a little pat through the puppy pen- but without making an enourmous fuss. Repeat, Repeat & Repeat ( it may take several weeks given how long lockdown has been)- making the time a little longer until puppy can sit with just one of you for around 20-30 mins or longer. At first inside the pen, then repeat the same exercise with a lead with you holding the lead- and always with the distraction of the kong, favourite toy etc. ( Always ensure you do this in the shade if outside- it must never be stressful for your pup). Once your pup is relaxed & remains happy to lay by your side chewing at the toy & barely noticing partner leave the room  ( If you repeat this daily you will get to this point believe me!), you will be ready for a short walk with your dog. Inside! E.g. partner leaves, dog remains calm. you stay by reading as usual & then stand up lead in hand & move off to look at something in the room- puppy by this point will be so used to your boring sit down sessions that moving off with you will seem like the most exciting thing- and guess what, you have managed a walk alone! Just add more repetition increasing the walk a little more each time until you actually move right outside & a walk around the yard.  ( or patio or coutyard etc) If partner is in the front room whilst this is happening & you have the advantage of a front & back door, try & move off through the other so you are not walking straight past your partner.  Short sessions & lots of repetition- you may well need the help of a behaviouralist to support the process. Once puppy can cope with sitting with just one of you, walking off with one of you will be easier &, with time you will even be ready to repeat the whole thing with both of you leaving- but don't rush the process!    All the best!

Edited by Ray27
  • Like 1