Neglected dog

Rascalmyshadow

A246A454-21B0-45CA-9BFD-6A5B02634A8C.thumb.jpeg.d42709b3d7feff941c761f38afdf4309.jpegI don’t get on here very often these days but I thought I would put up a post about a beautiful old girl we have just taken in, I just want to highlight to others to step in and be pro active when you see abuse and neglect.

On Thur night my nearly 15 year old daughter was out in town with her boyfriend enjoying a local twilight market when they noticed a severely neglected very old dog wandering the streets, instead of turning a blind eye my daughter decided we needed to help, she managed to follow the dog to its yard, find out who it belonged to and report it to the rspca, she then rang and begged me to help get the dog somehow as it was being kept in appalling conditions, I decided to offer the owner a sum of money to hand the dog over and they willingly obliged.

Katie is her name and she’s (apparently) 15 years old, the poor girl was so matted she was struggling to move, the smell of stale urine and faeces was so strong I was gagging the entire 5 min drive it took to get her home, she has a lot of arthritis, her eyesight is failing, her hearing isn’t great and she had been left to sleep on cold concrete with no shelter, her coat constantly wet as all the knots were like sponges.

I am angered and sickened at how someone could treat such a beautiful old girl with such little care, amazingly in only 3 days of being clean and comfortable she has gone from looking depressed and ready to give up to being happy and I can see a sparkle in her old eyes and the most amazing smiling face.

Katie has clearly had a hard life for a long time but she is still so forgiving and loving, she doesn’t want for much just a soft bed, good food and a little attention.

I am so proud of my daughter for being persistent and unlike all the adults around and there were many, she chose to help, she chose to be this girls voice, she didn’t walk on as if it was someone else’s problem.

We really didn’t need another dog however we will all make sacrifices to make sure she is kept comfortable and when the time comes she will die with dignity knowing she is loved and part of the family.

62D2351D-5846-4C40-8BB7-EE440E55AF3A.thumb.jpeg.3006375927ab33f68ae9a27af2508210.jpegAB1F2368-2CD8-44E8-9604-4FDC15E7B570.thumb.jpeg.f82f8295ddc0c24a51aebb65ad5136d4.jpegDB95508A-CD8C-49F8-9B35-21A7D719FAF1.thumb.jpeg.1e19f6749e08d264048892fdaf7cd615.jpeg

Edited by Rascalmyshadow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 7

Well done.  You & your daughter.  You obviously bought your daughter up with solid values and respect for animals.  There is too little kindness in this world towards other humans and animals.  Especially older people and older dogs.

You've made my day.  What an absolutely great thing to do for a dog who has probably never known kindness before.  Lovely dog as well.

Good on you.

• Like 3

Bless you and your daughter for stepping up. 
Although Katie is in her elderly years, she finally is living out her days with loving kindness and care. 

Look into a full spectrum CBD oil for her arthritis which has brought relief to many beings, humans and dogs alike. [Cannabis oil has brought me much relief] 
There's an excellent FarceBook medicinal cannabis and CBD oil for dogs group where one can get further advice [FB banned me for quoting the Koran so I'm unable to link sorry] 

• Like 1

Oh Rascal what a wonderful thing you and your daughter have done! Welcome to your new life, Katie!

And just a suggestion for the arthritis if you need it - Golden Paste and Antinol Rapid are keeping our old girl very nimble and pain free still even though she has a lot of arthritis.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the suggestions, and the nice comments about my daughter :) we have started Katie on supplements to help with her arthritis, she is off for her vet visit this afternoon (along with Rascal) so hoping she checks out ok and doesn’t have anything too serious going on, will update once we’re home.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow
  • Like 2

Woohoo Katie has been given the all clear, heart sounds good and bloods were all normal, we’ve started her on Meloxicam to help with the arthritis (will also be looking into the other suggestions) and she’s booked to go in a few weeks to have a dental along with Rascal!!!

The vets believe her heavy panting is pain related so hoping that will settle once her pain is under control.0BCC0FC9-C0DA-4682-B525-5F74F95538B1.thumb.jpeg.6e629637336b058633c5815d12710685.jpegedited to add sorry for the sideways photos have no idea why they’re coming out like that.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow
  • Like 9

For anyone following Katie’s story, we have found out she is 13 1/2, her original owner is deceased so she has been fed but received no other care for the past 5 years, she has clearly been mistreated along with neglected as we’re seeing a few things indicating a fear response but over all she’s a happy girl.

We have her on two supplements as well as Meloxicam and we are adding in some more pain relief this afternoon (once the vets have dispensed it) she now has a bed fit for a queen and has become part of our pack.

We have her booked in, in 4 weeks along with Rascal to both go in together for their dentals.

A2784609-E4DE-48ED-8120-7E27B43A7F36.jpeg

AADB5B59-4DA7-4210-8025-1EE1E5396879.jpeg

Edited by Rascalmyshadow
  • Like 11

Katie's luck has changed.  She looks deliriously happy.  And now she is getting all the affection and care she has missed out on for the last 5 years before you took her in.

Thank goodness you opened up your heart to Katie and took her under your very generous wing to give her everything she needs in her later years.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m quite upset writing this but I thought I would do one last update.

Today at 11:45 Katie will be given her wings, she’s had two rough nights and I knew yesterday it was time, the spark is gone from her eyes and all I can see now is a dog that is exhausted and ready to say goodbye.

They are the most amazing species, she was let down by humans more than once, neglected for years,  clearly in pain, yet still so trusting.

I promised to do my best for her, I wish I could do more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 13

so sorry that you all did not have more time together.  

What an amazing  number of gifts you have given her in the last few weeks - love, safety, care, tenderness, fun and happiness - and now you are giving her a final gift of her wings when they are needed.   And she reciprocated with love

• Like 2