Previcox alternatives

REALOldNick

And Neurontin. The vets around here seem to be selling this like ...well. drugs...or sweeties. I have been in the Vet in the (aptly named) waiting room and seen 3 different people spending $600+ on the same sweeties, with shock. The Vet and the receptionist ignore complaints with a shrug.

But the previcox is $3-4 per _tablet_ and it seems as if the Vets are just either handing it on, and/or  taking kick-backs, or making pretty nice mark-ups with little veterinary input from them. I use them, because they work on my adopted dog, who is in pain from a combo of arthritis and growths on his ligaments/tendons.

I also use Neurontin for the pain...at "only" $1/table, but 2 a day. They do have their limits. He still hobbles a wile after he wakes up. Sadly he is less then 4 YO.

If he lives until he is 13YO this will cost me maybe $22000/ annum. I do not care about _his_ cost...love transcends all for a dog. But I resent this pill-popping easy solution by the Vet fraternity and the Pharma.

Is there a better way? Sorry, I have tried naturopathic and acupuncture (not always so cheap themselves) and they did not work for me. The above two, angry as they may make me, at least have show sold results.

So what else?

Vets make very little off medication. What you are seeing is (a) their lack of buying power, and (b) the fact that the pharmaceutical benefits scheme does not cover animals.

An option may be to get a script from your vet. Expect a fee for the work that is involved with this as it’s not just a scribble; ours was usually around $20-$25.  If it’s a medication that humans also take, then you can have it filled at a human discount chemist. If it’s a pet-only medication then there are a number of online pet chemists that may be cheaper. Some medications are compounded, in which case prices can especially differ between compound pharmacies but quality control needs to be considered alongside that.

As for other things to do alongside analgesia, check out Canine Arthritis Management including their Facebook page and groups.

Best wishes!

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 4

I agree with seeing at what price your local pharmacies or online pharmacies can provide it for if you get a script with repeats. This was much cheaper for my old dog’s heart meds many years ago. No pbs subsidisation for vet meds makes them much more expensive than for people but the big pharmacy franchise chains  have more buying power and the on line places have that plus lower overheads. Doesn’t always make a huge difference but worth checking. 

Edited by Diva