Is it fine to change heartworm meds?

giraffez

My dog has been on interceptor all his life.  But it doesn’t cover ticks.  Can I just switch him onto bravecto?  3-6 months protection seems a long time, what happens if there was an allergic reaction?

i think there is a top on for just fleas and ticks that has 6 month coverage, but I don’t need it that long so I think there is a 3 month chew.  Not sure whether it’s just as effective though.

1 hour ago, giraffez said:

My dog has been on interceptor all his life.  But it doesn’t cover ticks.  Can I just switch him onto bravecto?  3-6 months protection seems a long time, what happens if there was an allergic reaction?

i think there is a top on for just fleas and ticks that has 6 month coverage, but I don’t need it that long so I think there is a 3 month chew.  Not sure whether it’s just as effective though.

3 mo is fine for heartworm.  It takes 4 or more months for the parasite to get to reproductive age, so killing any possible juveniles every 3mo is adequate.  My vet in Oz said it was sufficient to give heartworm meds on a 3mo schedule. 

I used Bravecto when I lived in Florida (horrible for ticks,  fleas and mozzies, heartworm common) and Bravecto alone was great. I don't know about allergic reactions.  I think they say to avoid Bravecto for dogs with any nervous system problem.

• Like 1

They can be combined but speak to your vet/nurse in case it’s not recommended for your dog or if they have special instructions for your area. I’m aware that some have been giving different dose schedules. Nexgard is another option (same goes for that re checking).

Edited by Papillon Kisses

bravecto, nexguard and simparica are a nurotoxin

far as I know it has not been worked out why in some dogs it crosses the blood brain barrier but if it does there is no antidote.

just have to pray you dog survives if it does happen. not sure of the percentages not affected v affected but the death rate in those affected seems to be 50%

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411371212394679/

there is another link by a vet that people are just assuming, but ive seen it, friend's vet dosed the entire litter of 7 with bravecto when it was first on the market, 4 began staggering and exhibiting epileptic like seizures shortly after despite vet check before dosage found all strong and healthy.

one recovered, two died and the fourth developed brain damage from the seizures and put down.

her vet admitted he had never seen anything like it before in 30 years of practice and he was seeing it in a percentage of all the dogs he had recommended it too. He had ceased supplying it.

from that date I warned anyone who bought a pup from me they would risk their dogs life and health if they chose to use it.

all was good until last year. four owners had their dogs begin seizures after visiting the vet.  One had thought the chew the vet gave his dog was a treat, it was not until he saw on the receipt he had paid for a dose of Bravecto. but he didn't see that before he was already home. his dog woke him   in the morning seizing beside his bed, I received his frantic call for advice and told him take him straight to his vet asap.  the vet told him it had nothing to do with the Nexguard, that the parents must carry epilepsy (in 39 years of breeding this line I had never had an epileptic puppy reported or  any I kept exhibit this)   three days later another rang me frantic, their puppy was fitting, again I told them take her to the vet immediately and yep the vet had sold them Nexguard assuring them it is perfectly safe.

the first boy survived, but was many months before they knew he would survive, lots of vet bills during the period.    The girl was ultimately put down after 4 months as each seizure caused more brain damage until their vet said she no long had any quality of life. they too were told my lines carry epilepsy, the Nexguard had nothing to do with her death.  all up in 12 months, 4 affected two died.

Most are put down so do not go on record as having died after being given bravecto or nexguard, but simparica has the same drug and same symptoms when your unlucky or more correctly your dog is unlucky.

https://www.walkervillevet.com.au/blog/does-bravecto-kill-dogs/

Its a tough call. the decision is yours.  although the vets will back you to sue the breeder though. Catch is doesn't bring your dog back and none not given any of those three has developed what?  epilepsy.  the ball is in your court.

good luck

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, giraffez said:

So how do people protect their dogs against fleas and ticks if this is such a problem.  If you don't take prevention, wouldn't getting bitten by a tick be a bigger issue, it is deadly isn't it?

For the main part people are confusing correlation with causation, but again flea and tick drug choice is something to discuss with a vet as they know your dog’s medical history and environment. In the USA you can’t even buy any flea, tick or worming products or prescription diets without a vet script.

https://www.yourvetonline.com/flea-and-tick-treatments-kill/

• Like 1

Our cat used to bring in fleas. Very frustrating, because I did not want to use chemicals on my yorkie (he had seizures after puppy vaccination, a claim disputed by local vet), who suffers badly from flea allergy!

I treated the CAT with medication which he seemed to tolerate well. For the DOG: I kept his coat very short, gave frequent baths (non-medicated shampoo!) and did lots of vacuuming of the house. To calm his skin: daily applications of homemade oatmeal paste and calendula/camomile tea rinses.

All very time-consuming...

I suspect that this would probably not work on a bigger dog with a heavy coat.

Edited by Guest

On 1/1/22 at 5:14 PM, giraffez said:

So how do people protect their dogs against fleas and ticks if this is such a problem.  If you don't take prevention, wouldn't getting bitten by a tick be a bigger issue, it is deadly isn't it?

We operate boarding kennels and don’t treat our dogs.

I show dogs and never had an issue .

Only time I tick treated was when I flew to NSW as I was in an area that can have paralysis ticks .

We don’t treat for the just incase ,live opposite bush .

Obviously one has to access risks ,given your dog has health issues that is an added risk 

We no longer heartworm either as where happy with the risk ration here stopped over 20 yrs ago when all the products started changing .

In the good old days easy once a day tablet .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

For the main part people are confusing correlation with causation, but again flea and tick drug choice is something to discuss with a vet as they know your dog’s medical history and environment. In the USA you can’t even buy any flea, tick or worming products or prescription diets without a vet script.

https://www.yourvetonline.com/flea-and-tick-treatments-kill/

In the USA you can absolutely buy flea/tick and worming stuff over the counter or online .

You don’t need a vet script.

1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

In the USA you can absolutely buy flea/tick and worming stuff over the counter or online .

You don’t need a vet script.

Pretty sure our BV said that was the case a couple months ago but I may have got mixed up with prescription diets which definitely need a script.

Are heartworm medication just as severe as tick and fleas in terms of toxicity?

I would treat my dog heartworms, this is a must, we have so many mosquitos and it has never crossed my mind not to.  I think it is more risky not to.

For fleas, i only apply as needed even when my vet tells me to apply all year round.  Never used tick medications.  I'm of the opinion that less is more in terms of these meds.  But if the area is bushy and a tick prone area, then I would consider flea and ticks but obviously since my dog has medical issues, I'm being extra cautious this time round.

Edited by giraffez

I only give my dogs their monthly heartworm every 6 weeks. Have done for years. I know there is/was someone here that only gave heartworm prevention at the change of each season. I haven't been quite that brave. I do usually stop giving it when the dog is 10 or 11 as normal old age wold take them out before heartworm would be a problem. It's not just the heartworm's life cycle but also the mosquito's that needs to be researched before making decision's like altering the time frame for giving the preventative.

Warrior is 10 1/2, once Easter arrives he won't get another heartworm preventative. He'll be 11 1/2 before the next mosquito season. That's the oldest I've had a Greyhound live.

• Like 2