e-collars - anyone using one?

GMG

We used to use a Tractiv GPS tracker for our mini schnauzer, which was great, but having just bought a house in a rural area, we're having to re-think and find something that will address two issues: her love of barking at farm animals and her love of roaming.  

I'm aware that since getting the Tractiv, there's other, better options now available which could address both issues.  The new e-collars have a capability that uses the same tech as TENS machines, and can increase in intensity when a dog approaches the limits of a geofence (so, with training, they know to back off and stay within the fence limits) or, similarly, activate when barking is sensed. 

Has anyone out there actually used these?  If so, any feedback?

• 5 weeks later...

Are you looking for a fence, a bark collar, or an ecollar ? They’re all different, and none do all at the same time. 

I use an ecollar, I have a GSD and a Malinois that do IGP. I primarily use it as a negative reinforcer, it creates fast and strong behaviours needed for the sport. Your dog needs to have an understanding of the commands you want to reinforce, an ecollar cannot be used to teach. 

4 hours ago, sheena said:

We live rural as well ...200 acres with cattle & wildlife.  We have a fence around our house/dog yard to stop our dogs from straying.  You cannot just move to a rural area & let your dogs free range

Rural/forest here as well .We have a well fenced yard and still get kangaroos etc eating the front lawn/garden area.  My dogs never get out of the house yard until we have “scouted” the area and unless someone is with them to keep them under control.

Electronic collars etc  are not an alternative to training

• Like 2

Fences stop roaming. 
My  bush-living dog is never outside without me , and , like others, I scout the area for roos/euros  etc before we go out . 
I wouldn't trust one of those 'invisible fences' to stop a dog with prey drive ...I think the *zing* would be barely noticed with the adrenaline  flowing! 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, persephone said:

Fences stop roaming. 
My  bush-living dog is never outside without me , and , like others, I scout the area for roos/euros  etc before we go out . 
I wouldn't trust one of those 'invisible fences' to stop a dog with prey drive ...I think the *zing* would be barely noticed with the adrenaline  flowing! 

Yup. Adrenaline sends dogs through and then they get stuck on the other side, not wanting to hurt themselves to go home. It’s a big problem in the USA where invisible fences are more common. :(  I would be fencing a house/dog yard and saying no to shock collars.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I would of thoght it would be a no brainer ,  to have a fenced area or a dog run , to stop the dogs roaming off especielly at night , and  too keep them away from roo's ,   know a guy who had  a lot of roo's come on his property  and his two big , no massive   pit bulls ,  and i mean big pitbulls  used to go the roo' s and chase them off ,, i warned him and warned him be careful one day they will not run ,, he laughed  thought it was a big joke , until early hrs of the morning it kicked off  , the roo's did'nt run , and   killed one of the dogs outright , the other  was very seriously injured , course you should fence your dogs

• Sad 1