Ruptured Elbow Hygroma

EndlessJoy

Hi newbie here,

Im not 100% sure of correct place to post this so apologies in advanced if it’s in the wrong area.

Our 12yr male Border Collie is prone to elbow hygromas despite my every effort to prevent them.

I’ve bought him an expensive orthopaedic bed and cheaper beds…but he insists on laying on the carpet or hard floor. 

In the past I have managed somehow to keep bandages on long enough for the swelling to reduce but this latest one, it doesn’t matter what I put on it or even wrapping the bandages under and over him….he still manages to lick them down and he has now licked the hygroma so much that it’s ruptured with all the fluid gone and he’s now got a gaping hole.

I’ve been regularly cleaning it (using aseptic wound cleaning packets) with saline and applying Neocort cream with sterile dressings but I don’t know if I should continue with that and hope it heals or take him to the vet?. 

I am concerned about him having surgery due to his old age and his diabetes and other health problems due to his age. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

How distressing for you. I have never had to deal with something like that.   I sure hope your vet can help you.

Although I just had a thought?  

what if you made him a pair of pants for each leg?   Padded and with wide strap to button over his shoulders so they stay up? he cant lick them down and the padding will protect his elbows

as well protect any bandage from him getting at it but it probably still need to be pinned to the pant leg or would still work its way down anyway

make a few pair so can wash as needed and never left without his elbow protector on

Edited by asal
  • Like 1