Rechargeable clippers recommendation

giraffez

Merry Christmas everyone!

Any recommendations for rechargeable pet clippers.

Preferably rechargeable, a pair for infrequent use ( like just a trim here and there that I missed in the proper grooming cut).

If I want one more durable for more frequent use, a recommendation for that also?

What budget are you looking at and do you want 5 in 1 blade or interchangeable blades .

here and there to more frequent can vary bigtime due to the power off getting through coats.

Also factor the cost of an extra battery .

I’m talking about wahl,heineger,shernabo proper dog clippers

Oz grooming is a good place to look website wise or shop direct in QLD and NSW 

Edited by Dogsfevr

it depend what clippers you are buying, with the little-yins I just put in rechargeable batteries, when they get sluggish I take them out and charge them on the plug-in wall charger

Now for the slightly tricky stuff:

The standard batteries usually add up to be 1.5V (AA's or AAA's) the rechargeable ones you put in (NMH) add up to 1.2V, they work ok but don't quite have the grunt. The normal recharger unit (that you buy from the supermarkets) is usually for NMH* batteries

The  other option is to use one Lithium battery which is 3.6V, if you do this you must either put a dummy battery in the other slot, that dummy has to be drilled out (it can get hot!) and the ends dimpled so it fits in the slot, the other option for that blank space (where the 2nd battery would sit) is to run a piece of copper wire between the top and bottom terminals to short them out...solder in place.

You may need to have a hunt around for a wall charger that is compatible with Lithium batteries, sometimes they are hard to find.

if you are buying rechargeable batteries don't get the Aldi ones they are cr#p

I bought a Shear Magic clipper ages back and it's excellent for clipping the hair between their pads, it comes in pink! have a search on-line for the best prices

The Shaver Shop sometimes has good specials here

* Nickel-metal hydride

• Like 1

Thanks.  I have my eyes on these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265423199750

They are not rechargeable though.  Not sure they are any good but @Boronia are these the ones you are referring to?

I have a pair of very reliable Andis and they are wired.  I have many many blades, can i use these blades on the shear magic?

Edited by giraffez

9 hours ago, giraffez said:

They are not rechargeable though.  Not sure they are any good but @Boronia are these the ones you are referring to?

I have a pair of very reliable Andis and they are wired.  I have many many blades, can i use these blades on the shear magic?

these are the ones that I have, I love them for cutting the hair under their paws (between the pads) they are quite robust and have a lot of grunt. I see that Oz Grooming World have them a little cheaper than ebay  https://www.ozgroomingworld.com.au/_mycart?ts=1640634147396087

They are quite small, not like the normal clippers, the are not as long as a biro and about as fat as a bbq'd sausage, matter of fact they are about the size of the bbq'd sausage :laugh:

because the have no comb/depth-guard you need to be careful where you are clipping as they cut off the hair super-quickly especially when they slip out of your hand and make contact with the dogs leg

I haven't explored whether blades are available, maybe they can be sharpened?

that link doesn’t seem to work for me, perhaps sold out by the time I got to it! 
That’s okay, I don’t use combs on my clippers, but given the size is smaller like you say I doubt my Andis blades will work on it.

what size blade does it come with?  I wonder whether it’s the super short one which is no good for me

thanks, I’ll look into it

Edited by giraffez

I have a shear magic and they use batteries. I bought them to trim the Greyhounds "skirt" mainly. Belly hairs. I still have it, about 15 years old. I think they would be pretty light weight for a coated dog but having Greys I'm not into real clippers so don't know much :laugh:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, giraffez said:

that link doesn’t seem to work for me, perhaps sold out by the time I got to it! 
That’s okay, I don’t use combs on my clippers, but given the size is smaller like you say I doubt my Andis blades will work on it.

what size blade does it come with?  I wonder whether it’s the super short one which is no good for me

thanks, I’ll look into it

That link was after I put them in the 'cart' so that's maybe why it didn't work @giraffez  Here they are out of the cart ( Auspost eParcel - Regular Post - $6.40)    https://www.ozgroomingworld.com.au/shear-magic-rocket-4500-battery-operated-trimmer

• Like 1

On 27/12/2021 at 9:18 PM, giraffez said:

I have the Shear Magic and while they are great, they have a narrow small blade so might not be what you're looking for.  I use them for bottom of the feet and inside ears as they give a close shave.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jemappelle said:

I have the Shear Magic and while they are great, they have a narrow small blade so might not be what you're looking for.  I use them for bottom of the feet and inside ears as they give a close shave.

I cant' remember who (probably the breeder), but I was told not to shave the paw with clippers, rather use scissors.  I don't know why.  Is there anything stopping a clipping the area between the toe beans?

2 hours ago, giraffez said:

I cant' remember who (probably the breeder), but I was told not to shave the paw with clippers, rather use scissors.  I don't know why.  Is there anything stopping a clipping the area between the toe beans?

99% I clip out paws with my own and salon dogs but you need to be confident and know your blade .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, giraffez said:

I am more likely to cut a pad with scissors, even the scissors with the rounded tip, the little Shear magic is a good size to get between the pads. It is called Shear Magic because it shears off the hair pretty close to the skin

• Like 1

14 hours ago, giraffez said:

I do both my Cavs' feet with the Shear Magic and find them easy.  The dogs seem to like it too as they spread their toes!  lol  I always leave a little fur between the pads though, to protect that sensitive area from pebbles, rocks etc.

• Like 1

Does the sharp magic shave too close for the underbelly and pee pee area:laugh:?  I hate clipping too close around that area as it’s so sensitive.

I currently use a 10 blade with my wired clippers, I don’t want to go any shorter than that

The ears and bum I use a #30 so shorter there

Edited by giraffez

On 30/12/2021 at 3:41 PM, giraffez said:

Does the sharp magic shave too close for the underbelly and pee pee area:laugh:?  I hate clipping too close around that area as it’s so sensitive.

I currently use a 10 blade with my wired clippers, I don’t want to go any shorter than that

The ears and bum I use a #30 so shorter there

It does shave too close to their delicate bits, I just use my normal clippers to about 25mm around their wee willies then very carefully trim the rest back with the blunt-ended scissors like these child's scissors 

486934742_Screenshotfrom2022-01-0105-16-44.png.a7915eaebbbc2d08fbaa7e03b43cc6b7.png

• Like 1