My Kelpie is getting mad when thunder storm are around

angel opazo

I have a kelpie ,she is very afraid of storm and lawn mover , I put under tablets , but still is too early to see her reaction to storm , i also training her with storm's sound . she is ok if I am with her .

Any one out there with the same problem !!! ???? I need to know if some else try different methods.

thanks

• Like 1

The number one thing for storm phobia is anti-anxiety medication (NOT acepromazine/ace/acp) so it’s great you have got onto that. Other things you can do include:

- Providing free access (don’t lock in) to their safe space, e.g. some dogs like to hide in the wardrobe, bathroom, under the lounge, in an open crate, or be with you in bed.

- Adaptil if it helps

- Counter conditioning games (clap of thunder = throw high value treat; the order matters)

- Keep lights on to mask lightning

- Mask noise with dog relaxation music e.g. through a dog’s ear

- Thundershirt or ttouch wrap if it helps your dog (assess body language)

- Comfort your dog if they want it. You cannot reinforce fear. Some dogs enjoy firm massage.

- Don’t give any supplements without checking with your vet. Many are contraindicated with anxiety medication and a lack of quality control and evidence base can be another issue.

- See a Behaviour Vet if you don’t make progress with your regular vet. Like a human psychiatrist, they have a lot more knowledge and experience with anxiety medications.

For the lawn mowing: I initially took my dog on a walk when doing our own lawns so he was away from it when it was at its loudest/closest (see this article about thresholds). Over time as his fear improved he was able to be home so long as he didn’t see the monster.For neighbours mowing, I did some of the above (masking noise, closing windows, playing with food toys to form a positive association with the noise, cuddles in bed). If you’re close with your immediate neighbours, you could ask if they could send you a text half an hour or so before mowing so you can make tracks if you need to. Alternatively/additionally it can help to have containers of high value treats or favourite toys dotted around the house so they’re at hand for tossing whenever something happens.

My dog also took an everyday (rather than situational) medication for generalised anxiety disorder which helped tremendously in treating his noise sensitivity. The amount of progress made once we added that in was astounding.

A force free trainer who does behaviour consults can help with a behaviour modification plan for these fears if you would like additional help. These two websites are good places to look: Pet Professional Guild Australia and Delta Society

Hope this helps!

• Like 4

Yeah I have one is is very worried about thunder and fireworks, one medium worried and one not worried at all. I do use an over the counter calming tablet and many doses of rescue remedy. Last time my most frightened dog found a safe place for herself and put herself to bed in one of my crates. (no door) I was thinking of getting some valium from the vet for New Years Eve but have decided to ride it out and see if the safe place helps again. As you know it's not always easy to know when you are about to get a thunderstorm and sometimes you aren't home to give the dog meds.  So beside meds I suggest a safe place for your dog, the bathroom, bottom of your wardrobe etc. Always with the door open a bit. I can't help with the mowing except to put your dog inside

• Like 3

My Zeddy felt safe in the bathroom... but the door had to be closed for her to settle fully. Once the door was closed, she would just lie down in there and go to sleep.

Pickles preferred to just lie near me and tremble until it was all over... if I was at home when a storm came. If I was out, when I came home she would be soaked through as though she had been out in the rain for some reason... ??

As for the mower, both wanted to attack it if it was on, so they were shut inside the house when I did any mowing.

Luckily, Harper doesn't seem to be affected by thunderstorms or fireworks... but she wants to kill the mower, so gets shut inside when that is on.

T.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Pickles preferred to just lie near me and tremble until it was all over... if I was at home when a storm came. If I was out, when I came home she would be soaked through as though she had been out in the rain for some reason... ??

T.

Opal is one to go out into the rain as well, she'd be so restless, pacing around and around, inside and out. She's the one that put herself into a crate last time and stayed there.

• Like 1

Two possibilities with the soaking are drooling so much in fear that she was soaked (can happen), or going outside in an attempt to escape and get to people for comfort. The latter is one reason why videoing is important when assessing for separation-related distress… you can discover that the anxiety trigger is something else.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Two possibilities with the soaking are drooling so much in fear that she was soaked (can happen), or going outside in an attempt to escape and get to people for comfort. The latter is one reason why videoing is important when assessing for separation-related distress… you can discover that the anxiety trigger is something else.

Most likely the latter, as evey inch of her was soaked through a few times. I will say that she recovered very quickly once the storm was over though, so usually by the time I got home it was all over and she was fine... just wet...

T.

• 3 weeks later...

My GSD, a rescue with a terrible history of abuse and neglect, is a very confident boy who jumps towards loud sudden noises. 
So it came as a shock that he's terrified of storms and fireworks. 

The first storm rolled through during the first week I brought him home. 
Wooki had not ever received any positive attention, much less any affection, and did not like being handled. 
His fear of storms helped with our bonding. 

Wooki was shaking and distress panting so I encouraged him to lay under the table at my feet where he quickly settled himself. 
Two years later just before Christmas, a storm rolled through after we retired to bed when he totally freaked out. 

The vet prescribed Xanax but I'd only medicate him as a last resort. 
Last week another storm rolled through after we had retired to bed and Wooki again totally freaked out and would not settle. 
Since sleep was out of the question I got up and sat at my dining table. 
Wooki got under the table at my feet and settled himself. 

I'm unable to figure out why he freaks out when I'm in bed but will settle under the table, except to think that under the table at my feet has become his 'safe spot'? 
I'm buying a crate that I'll put in my room and cover with a blanket to create a 'den' and hope that that will do the trick. 
If not, at least we have an alternative. 

My main concern is not being home if and when a storm passes. 
It's awful seeing him so frightened. 

On 27/12/2021 at 10:08 PM, angel opazo said:

I have a kelpie ,she is very afraid of storm and lawn mover , I put under tablets , but still is too early to see her reaction to storm , i also training her with storm's sound . she is ok if I am with her .

Any one out there with the same problem !!! ???? I need to know if some else try different methods.

thanks

What's her reaction to the lawn mower?  Is she barking and chasing it?  If so that is pretty normal behaviour for a working breed and desensitizing should work.

Gee i've been lucky in 50 years of owning dogs , never had  one thats been scared of  storms , fireworks , cars , lawn mowers , or anything like that ,, I  live on the coast , and  come winter the high light of living here is  the storms ,, mostly early hrs of the morning , they will often wake me up   and i get up open all the front blinds and the doors to the balcony , turn all the lights of and sit watching the storms and lightning ,,, the bigger the storm the more i like it watching the lightning  light up the room and the sky , followed by thunder loud enough to make you think the house is shaking   my little maltese cross we have now  , where will he be ,,, sat alongside me or on my knee , not giving a care in the world  , in fact  sometimes if i'm inside watching  , he''ll toddle off on the balcony and watch himself ,,