Attention seeking

I have a large breed dog that has come a long way in his training but one issue remains that I have had great difficulty addressing so I need some help from you.  He has always craved attention and one of the ways he shows it is to jump up and sail past my ear, giving a lick at the same time.  It sounds funny but it ceases to be humorous when a 40kg dog goes flying passed your face.  It can be quite confronting and occasionally dangerous.  I have done many exercises designed to keep his feet on the ground but there are occasions when he still does this behaviour, in partucular at the end of the exercise when he is released.  The release is usually accompanied with a sudden burst of energy on his part, followed by the flying launch to show his joy and affection.  Can anyone suggest how I can achieve my desire result of him behaving in a calm manner with his feet remaining on the ground please?

Edited by Stitch

sounds like a release of tension. Can you teach a release to an object, one of those treat holders? Something that fits in your pocket and you can drop it within your training area. Send him to find it, should use up some excitable energy, he gives it to you, you treat him and both walk off, no further release word. You could do it several times to help release that pent up energy and he never know when it's coming

• Like 2

OK so I have tried on several occasions and mostly all it is doing is delaying the happy dance in some instances.  He will be mildly distracted by the high value food but leave half of it so he can leap in the air and lick me.  It is very frustrating seeing as I feel there must be a way of communicating with him but in this instance I just can't find it.  Problem is I can't be fully prepared for this as he always makes his run up from behind me and it is not always predictable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Stitch

Sorry this is a bit of a late reply.

I may have a couple of solutions for you. 

If your dog is toy motivated i would suggest that you get a small tugger toy that fits into your pocket which you could distract the dog with but obviously you would need to be facing the dog for this to work.

You could also try holding up your hands and saying stop in a firm voice. Then when the dog has stopped then praise and play. Also with this tip you would have to be facing the dog.

Hope this helps somewhat.