Help - Jodie's not well, not sure what to do

Katdogs

Hi folks, long time since posting. I'm coming for all your experience on geriatric Jodie (16yo) Kelpie.

Deaf, arthritic but usually pretty steady. No problems with NYE fireworks or anything.

This morning she came skittling in from the backyard like a nutso panicking dog. 

Ran through the house (losing a bit of poo on the way), sprinted back and forth, when I shut a door she jumped out an open window even though she hasn't been able to jump for a year or so. When I went to take her collar she screamed and strongly unhappy with being touched. Slowed down after 20 minutes to pacing, slobbering a bit. No obvious injuries, no bites, or scratches. Temp seems normal even though she was puffing and panting. Gums normal colour. After almost an hour, she settled to sleeping near me while I tried to work. We both had a bit of Rescue Remedy.

Later today though, she took herself out the back to wee (I think) and again came scooting in. There was someone in the yard mowing that she might not have realised was there. She ran through the house to the window to escape but it was shut so she jumped on my bed for the first time in 18 months. She then tried to hide again this time under my desk, and won't let me out of her sight. She's eaten a bit of slurry (trying to get some fluid into her because she's not stopping to drink) and she's since done firm stools.

It's bizarre. At 16yo, I don't want to take her to ARH/SydUni and have to leave her for scans etc. If I have to make a decision to let her go, I'll do that. But this has come on so quickly, I just don't quite know whether I've covered all the possible things to look for?

Sorry if I'm not making sense. Five years ago I had a husband, cat and three dogs, Jodie's all that's left and I just want to honour that and have her comfy.

Edited by Katdogs
  • Sad 10

2 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

Could be seizures and just coincidence she was outside .

I wondered about a partial seizure of some sort, but it took almost an hour to settle after the first one. She's still pacing after the second one.

2 minutes ago, SchnauzerMax said:

How is Jodie’s eyesight ? 

My Max is blind and has panic attacks when he encounters things that shouldn’t be where he encounters them. Massive, full on freak out like you are describing with Jodie.

Wish they could talk. 

Old dog, old eyes - she can spot a cat moving at the top of a street, and can find if I drop some food in the dark, and doesn't usually have any trouble recognising people as they come toward her. This has come on so unexpectedly today :( 

She's been getting gradually more nervy with things moving around her in a strange environment, or if she doesn't see someone coming and they touch her she jumps, but today's extreme 

I'm at a bit of a loss with this one... hence suggesting posting here for possible advice or ideas as to what may be going on.

One would think that something like poison or a stroke would be showing escalating symptomology by now, so I'm leaning towards ruling those out... but I'm not a vet...

Since both episodes have started out in the yard when she was on her own, maybe supervised toilet breaks are advisable for tonight at least... then see how she does overnight and if she's any more settled in the morning?

If the Rescue Remedy is having a positive effect, I'd keep topping her up as necessary overnight to try and let her get some much needed rest/sleep. A good sleep might help a lot...

If things get scary overnight, call me and I'll be there in a shot... anything at all for you and my little buddy JoJo...

T.

• Like 1

Aww, Kat. I’m so sorry to hear Jodie’s not well. I’ve canned fb so haven’t seen any updates from anyone. 

Could the excursion to the yard be coincidental, as mentioned above? 

The only way you can really get it sorted is to take her to the vet. I’d explain your anxiety and reasons. I’m still on messenger if you want to chat. X

• Like 2

I think you need to see a vet.

We didn’t recognise that Max was going blind until he walked into a pole and almost knocked himself out, because he could navigate in a familiar environment.

If the loss is gradual, they compensate in familiar environments until suddenly they can’t. 

• Like 2

I agree you probably need to see a vet. But I wonder if she could have been stung/frightened/hurt by something in the yard, and because she didn’t know what happened she had a big panic, now generalised to ‘outside’.
One of mine years ago developed a sudden and complete fear of part of the garden she had always been comfortable with. I never did work out why but it was months before she would go there again. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ~Anne~ said:

Aww, Kat. I’m so sorry to hear Jodie’s not well. I’ve canned fb so haven’t seen any updates from anyone. 

Could the excursion to the yard be coincidental, as mentioned above? 

The only way you can really get it sorted is to take her to the vet. I’d explain your anxiety and reasons. I’m still on messenger if you want to chat. X

Hiya I only just realised the other day I wasn’t seeing you on FB! 

We have a vet appointment on Thursday morning for old-dog bloods to keep the rimadyl coming. I just caught Jodie’s panic and didn’t know whether I needed an emergency vet or if panics like this could come out of the blue. 

She’s comfy and cool now, and finally drinking water like normal. I’m hoping for a peaceful night now, no more stressing!

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Diva said:One of mine years ago developed a sudden and complete fear of part of the garden she had always been comfortable with. I never did work out why but it was months before she would go there again. 

Anything’s possible. She’s usually stoic and won’t show pain and distress, that’s why this has been confusing 

She may have had a seizure and the poo hanging from her was because she defecated during the seizure.  As well the pacing you described is consistent with post ictal  pacing after a seizure.

Dogs can also become temporarily blind during and after a seizure.

• Like 3

This must have been so frightening for the two of you! Hope there will be no repeats.

Quote tdierikx"Since both episodes have started out in the yard when she was on her own, maybe supervised toilet breaks are advisable for tonight at least... then see how she does overnight and if she's any more settled in the morning?"

Maybe also check the yard again. And supervised toilet breaks on leash? Yes, and probably a visit to the vet...

All the best. 

One of my Cavs got bitten by a black ant recently.  She was screaming and waving her leg around.  Screamed when I went to pick her up to check her over.  I only discovered it was a black ant because it was squashed in the fur of her paw, near where she was licking.  So it could possibly be a bite from something tiny.

I would be taking her out the front, on lead, for supervised toilet breaks and see how she goes.  she may now associate the back yard with something scary.  Good luck.  

• Like 2

Jodie is now with Stevie, Sam, Rocky, and Greg.

She passed peacefully this morning with a tiny bit of help from her fave vet and in Katdogs' arms. It was her time...

I will cherish all the memories I have of this awesome little black dog. She joined Katdogs' family with an unknown history, but fit in perfectly. I've been priviledged to have known her since she arrived nearly 16 years ago. I'll remember her complete obsession with tennis balls, and her insane athleticism when she jumped to catch them in the air, landed perfectly on all fours, and then came running back to give you the ball to throw again and again. She definitely picked her perfect family with a tennis coach and access to LOTS of tennis balls... lol!

I'm gonna miss my little friend and the special cuddles only she knew how to give me... when I needed them and came to visit.

Fly free with the angels JoJo... you were the very goodest girl...

T.

• Like 1
  • Sad 18

I am so sorry for your loss Katdogs. It is heart breaking enough losing a very loved dog no matter what age but especially difficult that Jodie was also your connection to your life with your husband and canine family members. Sending you much love and gentle healing thoughts. :heart:

• Like 4