Papillon or something else...?

Tur_78

Hi everyone, I’m looking to get a dog in December this year and am trying to decide what breed to get.

I went to a dog show today and there were two stalls (unsure what they are called, the little booths people put their seats in?) of Papillons. One of them had a lot of Papillons, most of them were in their playpen and kept jumping/yapping. I know for Paps, the temperament varies quite a lot and I suspect these were more drivey and active ones? Anyways, the other Paps I met were sooo calm and friendly. One of their daughters had a girl on the small side of the standard and she is basically her daughters companion which I find adorable. They told me their dogs didn’t bark unless there was something outside and are okay with a walk if YOU want to do it, but if you didn’t they’ll just chill with you. They basically just want to follow you.

Thats the kind of temperament I want, but some people say Paps are really active? I don’t want to get a dog I can’t handle lol.

A little bit about my lifestyle:

- Three kids (14, 15, 11)

- One dog (small)

- One cat

- We can exercise for around 60 minutes a day at the park mostly off leash because I’m not a huge fan of walking on leash OR teaching tricks 

- Daily training sessions and mental stimulation 

- I want it to be smart enough to be able to learn how to do ‘chores’ / advanced tricks because my daughter is quite interested in dog training and would love to train the dog to organise the socks or something like that 

- Playful and lively but not GIVE ME EXERCISE NOW HUMAN OR THE COUCH IS GONE

- Don't mind shedding but absolutely don’t want it to be ‘yappy’ or bark excessively 

- Affectionate and cuddly is a must. Don’t mind if it’s a little dumber as long as it’s biddable and snuggly lol

- Should be okay by itself for around 6-8 hours on a normal weekday (ofc I will exercise them etc etc)

- Would prefer if we didn’t need to spend a lot on grooming each month because of budget issues

I really like the Paps, they’re pretty much our perfect dog. I know a con is that they may be difficult to house train, but I have experience with small dogs (current dog is approx 5kg) and housetraining them lol.

Other breeds on my list include:

Border Collie (show line, lower energy ones)

Golden Retriever

CKCS 

Havanese

Poodle (Toy or Mini)

Advice and other breed recs is most welcomed!

The paps I've known are smart, energetic dogs. Fairly easy to groom yourself. I've never heard they are hard to house train. I wouldn't recommend taking such a small dog to a dog park. If your daughter want to do some training then she can be the one that grooms it and takes it for on leash walks. That way she'll have a good bond when it comes to training.

• Like 3

Your heart seems to have been taken by the Papillons.  Lovely looking little dogs.  

Years ago, a Papillon was a member of the Pal SuperDog Team that used to put on agility displays at events.    It was the lone small dog among the team of Border Collies who'd zip around the course, going over hurdles & obstacles.

The Papillon would run last and would adapt for its all size...going under hurdles, along tunnels etc at great speed.  It was brilliant and was the crowd favourite.

• Like 1

Looking at your list it sounds like you really don’t now what you want .

showline Border Collies aren’t less energy and will need daily stimulation 

Golden Retreivers daily stimulation.

Poodles come with the grooming costs you don’t want .

Havanese will have grooming expenses if you aren’t prepared to brush .

The Papillon I know are either spooks or very active,live life dogs that thrive in agility ,obedience,tracking,scent and trick training which equates too dog with a passion to learn .

As to cuddly the dog decides that in the end and how pushy the owners are in there expectations for snuggles .

Barking in the end is the owners whilst some breeds can be more vocal the owners decide where the boundaries sit .

Goldies and BC can be vocal .

Cavies can be whiners .

Poodles yappy .

Walking offleash will only be as good as the effort you put in and walking onleash is a life skill for the dog especially into its seniors years so onleash walks are very important and something the humans need to commit too ,there only as boring as you make it and offleash parks often teach lots off bad manners,habits and injuries too dogs .

There more like the lazy owners option for I sit here whilst dog runs around feral or gets bullied .

Training is about the leash .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3

On 22/01/2022 at 10:34 PM, Tur_78 said:

mostly off leash because I’m not a huge fan of walking on leash

On- leash walking is a very important skill. For owners and pups. The leash is an important training aid ..along with voice, praise, treats, toys, etc. walking on leash is essential if your dog is to lead a life away from the same parks/home routine :) A dog on leash can go to lunch with you, can walk around the neighbourhood and get to know the area in case they ever get out -  they can walk safely along many beaches , in National parks etc where off-lead dogs are not allowed...  :) In the end the leash is just "there' the communication you have with your dog is what keeps it in position/tells it to go slower/to stop/whatever ..the leash is a safety net for a trained dog :)

• Like 3

It drives me absolutely crazy when I see dogs off leash on busy streets.  They do it all the time in my street.  It's quiet for Inner Sydney but there are still passing cars and other dogs walking to the park.  Half the time the dogs are way in front of the owners or way behind.  Talk about having absolutely no control over your dog.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 24/01/2022 at 1:33 PM, mita said:

Years ago, a Papillon was a member of the Pal SuperDog Team that used to put on agility displays at events.    It was the lone small dog among the team of Border Collies who'd zip around the course, going over hurdles & obstacles.

The Papillon would run last and would adapt for its all size...going under hurdles, along tunnels etc at great speed.  It was brilliant and was the crowd favourite.

Yorkies can do, too!