FOSTERING: The need is always there

• 2 weeks later...

She is quite good, still timid and nervy, but very lovable. I’ve written her story, taken heaps of photos and just waiting for her story to go up. Her photos don’t really show how small she is.  Loves her ball (doesn’t bring it back outside but does in the house LOL)

F67E2BFC-D325-40D3-8085-D5C6E4BBD50B

2C806825-0805-42E8-AB07-08B52EE86409

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/03/2022 at 8:00 AM, ~Anne~ said:

She looks very cute. I’m sure she’ll find a great home in no time. 

After a few "meet and greets", we have a family who wants to adopt Winnie.  I really hope it works out as they are lovely people and have a very placid 6 y/o female Cavalier.  So in a couple of weeks, Winnie will be moving to Wahroonga (very close by) and will have a family of five (2 adult children and one nearly adult lovely lovely lad).  

I am so bloody cross though. When they came over for their meet and greet, after a while I suggested we take Harley and Winnie for a walk and we were all really enjoying it.  Barely around the corner and about 100 metres on what do we come across but a woman with her unleashed, very large, unfriendly dog.  People in a house (where the dog had just wandered into) came out and kept on at the woman until she very grudgingly took the dog away.  I haven't walked for ages, but I know the little Dirt Girls would love a trot around the block and just when I get myself psyched up, this happens.  Apparently the woman doesn't live nearly, so hopefully this is the first and last time she is around.   

I received these photos of Ralphie (ex DAP rescue Dazzy) yesterday.  Hard to believe the transformation.  Wonderful new "parents".   Go back to the opening post to see the difference.  Amazing.  I am so happy.

19AA84FD-99F8-4CC7-A51E-C2A3D55C75E0

FBF1F702-C587-47B3-A6AD-13EABC7248E5

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Litttle Winnie has been rehomed.  The first home was a dud.  I saw the red flags, but let my heart rule my head.  The people were lovely, but unfortunately somewhat anal and had absolutely no idea (despite lots of information written and verbal from me) how to integrate her into their existing home which of course included another dog.  Anyway, I still had one application that I wanted to follow up and to cut a long story short, they are experienced with rescue dogs, don't race around saying the sky is falling at the slightest thing and Winnie is now in a home with three adults and two other dogs, so a dog for every person and a person for every dog where the dogs are the most important things in their lives.  

So, what's next on the cards or perhaps in the dog beds?  Here is Lilo, the most gorgeous little redhead, l/h Chihuahua of 5 years.  Sadly she has diabetes and will be on insulin injections twice a day.  This is new for me, never having had a dog with diabetes, so I have appointment at the vet this afternoon to learn how to administer these injections.  

I confess to being a bit nervous, but if others can do it so can I LOL.   

Quality of pic not good, don't know why.  

8B680B66-F720-491E-B819-B9D709AC1384

• Like 6

What a pretty little dog. Shame she has diabetes. I looked after one of Mollys brothers a while  ago. He’s got diabetes too and required injections twice a day. I did it but I didn’t feel comfortable or confident about it. But it is easy and I’m sure you’ll deal with it quite nicely.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, persephone said:

So glad Winnie has found her family :) 
Lilo is just beautiful! How lucky are you! Hope the injection went well ... they are such little injections , you should do well. :hug: 

I was so upset when the first people brought her back, they didn't last even a few days before the said it wasn't working out.  Normally, I'll just go an collect the dog, refund any monies paid and no hard feelings because it does happen, but Winnie was a different matter.  I'd been over there a few times with her to get her used to them, I had extensive notes written down, etc etc.   She is so sensitive and has been mucked around so much, I was sick to the stomach thinking how she must be feeling.   But this second family - well a match made in heaven.   :heart: :heart:  In fact, had we not already agreed to the first family, I would have much preferred the second, but sadly, at Winnie's expense, I learned a lesson.   

@persephone, your confidence in my injection prowess shows you don't know me :laugh:  :laugh:.  My second name is Clumsy and, yes, with the first attempt, I managed to get my finger - luckily I didn't press the plunger.  This morning's attempt was a little better although it is difficult to fool dogs.  As soon as the bottle and needle were brought out Lilo was off and running.  I am sure I am hurting her :kissbetter:  :kissbetter:.   Hopefully in very little time, I will be an expert and she won't be feeling the needles, because she is on them for the rest of her life.  

She is very sweet - no messes in the house, absolutely no fear of or aggression towards the other dogs, but mine are so laid back that would be hard to imagine.  She is very biddable, but loves to explore and someone is going to get the dearest little girl.   She is quite large for a L/H Chi - weighs in at 4.9kg and her bones are sticking out so she needs to put on a little bit of weight.  

• Like 4

How’d you go with the injection? I’m sure you’ll be fine. As as former vet nurse I know the more you do, the more comfortable you become with it.

From memory, insulin is injected subcute and the needle is very short so the risks are minimal. 

I can remember many years ago working with a trainee vet nurse. She raced greyhounds and wanted to treat her own dogs under the guidance of our vet. Can’t recall what she was injecting - maybe antibiotics or something and it was an adolescent litter - but it had to be given intramuscular. We usually always gave it in the hind leg. There’s also a nerve which runs down near the common injection site. She hit it on at least 3 of her hounds. It resulted in temporary paralysis. Thankfully it was only temporary! 

• Sad 1

When I worked in a boarding kennel, we had a few cats and dogs who came in on insulin. All of them had these lovely injectable gadgets that you just put against the skin and pressed the top button, and the needle shot out, administered the required dose, then retracted automatically... none of the cats or dogs reacted badly to them at all, and the needles were very fine, so very little pain when given.

I can remember the first time I had to try to work out how to give two 6 week old calves their vaccinations on my own. At that age, they are a bit bigger than a great dane, and somewhat heavier to boot. I managed to get them from the paddock to where we used to load the animals up a ramp to the trucks for jobs, blocked off the ramp, put their milk bottles on the other side of the ramp where they could see them, then used the stealth approach to jab them while they were distracted trying to get to the bottles... *grin*... they were much more in tune with what was happening 4 weeks later when they needed their booster shots, and were a lot bigger too... errr!

As for sticking your finger with the needle... happens to all of us at some point... I'm sure I'm immune to calicivirus and all the goat, sheep, and cow diseases now... hahaha!

I remember one new 6 month old lamb we were given who decided to jump at the worst possible moment when I was giving him his vaccination, and the needle hit a nerve near his shoulder... poor boy had a marked limp for the next 3 weeks and couldn't go out on visits. He was given long acting pain relief and moved to sick bay with a friend for the duration of his limp so no-one would make a mistake and take him on visits until his limp was gone. He so loved going on visits and would bleat his little heart out when the trucks and vans left to go out... poor baby...

T.

• Like 2