Norwegian court cracks down on flat-faced dog breeds

lillypilly

I have just adopted two Pekingese sisters (foster failure :rofl: :rofl: :heart::heart:) and before their adoption they each had already had two surgeries: entropion and skin folds reduction to stop hairs rubbing their eyes.  

What is the solution for many horrors perpetrated against dogs and other animals when Crufts has a BIS German Shepherd whose back elbows are almost on the ground and who can hardly walk properly and another year a Pekingese who could hardly breathe?  

• Like 2

It is very interesting although I would suggest the pug, which often requires airway surgery, has far more issues due to being brachycephalic than the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel ever does.

I know it is desirable for the cavalier to have a shorter snout in the show ring although many purebred (not necessarily pedigree) CKCS pets I see actually have a longer snout.

I bred pedigree cavaliers a few years ago, and I know then it was very difficult to get one that had a clear DNA profile from Orivet. If they weren't affected, they were a carrier of something. I thought being brachycephalic was the least of their problems. Little did I know apparently.

22 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

I have just adopted two Pekingese sisters (foster failure :rofl: :rofl: :heart::heart:) and before their adoption they each had already had two surgeries: entropion and skin folds reduction to stop hairs rubbing their eyes.  

What is the solution for many horrors perpetrated against dogs and other animals when Crufts has a BIS German Shepherd whose back elbows are almost on the ground and who can hardly walk properly and another year a Pekingese who could hardly breathe?  

Yet my parents had 3 Pekes and the only surgery needed was when one stabbed his eye on a rose bush. But they did have a pug who they got as an older dog from a breeder who needed entropion surgery. Breeder should have attended to before rehoming.

Some are sound, some are not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luvapoo said:

It is very interesting although I would suggest the pug, which often requires airway surgery, has far more issues due to being brachycephalic than the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel ever does.

I know it is desirable for the cavalier to have a shorter snout in the show ring although many purebred (not necessarily pedigree) CKCS pets I see actually have a longer snout.

I bred pedigree cavaliers a few years ago, and I know then it was very difficult to get one that had a clear DNA profile from Orivet. If they weren't affected, they were a carrier of something. I thought being brachycephalic was the least of their problems. Little did I know apparently.

Likely the 'other' problems are what put them on the same banned list and their Brachycephaly was more incidental.... so breeders would be more inclined to take note.

• Like 1

It can certainly be just lucky, @Rebanne or it can be that certain breeders, against all odds, continue to do the right thing and their interest is purely breed enhancement.  unfortunately, just about everything is market driven :(

My girls, Bunches and Beatrice, were from a puppy mill.  Their personalities are sheer delight.  It never crossed my mind that I would be the clucky, lucky, giggling mum to two Pekingese :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rebanne said:

Yet my parents had 3 Pekes and the only surgery needed was when one stabbed his eye on a rose bush. But they did have a pug who they got as an older dog from a breeder who needed entropion surgery. Breeder should have attended to before rehoming.

Some are sound, some are not.

A friend took on 2 Pekes when their owner died. I called them the fluffy slippers. But they were the toughest, happiest little dudes around. Sound and long lived. 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2022 at 12:05 PM, Loving my Oldies said:

When was the GSD @Loving my Oldies

edited- I think I have worked it out, and you either meant Westminster in the USA or the controversy over the GSD Best of Breed at Crufts in 2016. GSD have not gone BIS at Crufts for 50 years. 

Edited by Diva
  • Thanks 1

It’s been coming for a long time. I’m surprised this kind of action isn’t more widespread around the world. Interesting that they’ve only selected two breeds.

Im not experienced with pekes and cavs, but as a life-long owner of pugs, and running a pug rescue, I can’t say I’ve ever seen a pug without some respiratory concerns out of the multitude I’ve had anything to do with. Eyes also, but not so prevalent as the breathing. 

Brachy or meso - all the same - the very fact it has a shortened respiratory system means it’s defective given the nature of the canine respiratory system, incl temperature control. 

Edited by ~Anne~
Error correction
  • Like 1

On 04/02/2022 at 7:59 PM, Lhok said:

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniels were included because apparently they couldn't find any healthy specimens within the country that weren't affected by some kind of heart defect.

--Lhok

That's what I assumed. Gorgeous dog, but heart and structural brain issues... I assume you'd outcross to cocker or Dutch spaniels? I know there's the King Charles, but they are worse with the airway.

• Sad 1