What does it take to become a "Champion"?

YOLO

Asking cos I don't really understand how this works for a Dog, lol.

I understand that it is somehow based on points.  Is it 100 points to become "Australian Champion" and 1,000 points for Grand Champion?

So say your dog is "the best" at the moment, and you win all the shows, how many would you need to win to get 100 points?  And do you actually have to go national, cos I feel that would be pretty tough for people in WA.

And what if your dog is "good" say top 5, but there is always one or 2 better, so they never quite win a show...  Can you still rack up the points?

So the answer id ,,, it depends, :laugh:

The first place you're going to win points is at your breed level, once the pup is 6 months old.  To get points, you have to win your class (eg. Minor PUppy Bitch, then compete against the other bitches (if any) for the Bitch Challenge.  If your bitch is the only one of her breed, then as long as the judge is prepared to award her, she would get 6 points ..and would then go on to compete with the best male for Best of Breed.  So the basic points for Best of Breed is 6 .. and then 1 point for each dog/bitch 6 months or over, beaten

The Best of Breeds in each Group go on to contest Best in Group .. 25 points I think .. (my dogs didn't ever achieve that  :laugh:, and then the 7 Best in Group go on to contest Best in Show..  More points.

So how long and how many shows does it take to make up a Champion?   Depends on  how many dogs in your breed are being shown.  Small numbers can mean more chance of getting Challenge points, but at 6 points a show, it will take you a minimum of 16 shows.   And no, there is no requirement to travel interstate to gain your points.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1