New Legislation in WA - Is time running out for Dogs West and the ANKC?

YOLO

So the WA government has passed new legislation.  It will require central registration of all dogs and Breeders.

So the term "Registered Breeder" (already misappropriated by rando Internet Registrations) will now mean "Registered with the Government"

Sadly this will mean that a "Registered Breeder" can sell whatever misbegotten pig-dogs they want, providing they comply with the rules.

Also, part of this new system, will require the tracking of unsterilised bitches and their offspring.  So I'm wondering if this becomes something akin to a "mongrel pedigree"?

I don't see the problem unless the requirements for breeder registration are stupid.  It makes sense for the state to control people breeding problem dogs or breeding in horrible conditions.

The worst breeder I ever encountered when I lived in WA was an ANKC judge (he moved on long ago).  His kennels were filthy and much of the meat in his fridge was rotten; his dogs got very little exercise.  As for misbegotten pig dogs...sure, there are some.  But the majority of family dogs come from non ANKC registered breeders, and many of them are wonderful.

I think there are two separate issues; language and governing body.

There have been issues around the meaning of the word 'registered' for many years. Why hasn't the ANKC and state bodies moved to change their language so that there is no confusion?  I've spoken with dozens of people over the years who have said 'but they said they're a registered breeder' and when I've asked what they think that means, they think its council registration or something else. Rarely do they say it means they're registered with the ANKC or DogsNSW or similar.

The second issue is regarding central governance, and as sandgrubber pointed out above, this may be a good thing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

As for misbegotten pig dogs...sure, there are some. 

Yeah, come visit Perth some time.
Our pounds, shelters, and rescue organisations are full to overflowing, and the problem shows no sign of abating.

And fact is that, whilst not ideal, we'd happily adopt a rescue dog in the current climate, but none are remotely suitable.  All the descriptions read sadly the same "can't go to a home that has other dogs, cats, animals, or children"

If one were to do a quick analysis of puppies being offered to sale, between here and on gumtree, majority are from moronic backyard operators, breeding whatever mongrels they could find. 
IF (and it's a huge if) the new legislation could curtail this, it would be a blessing.  But I suspect that this will be just more rules applied only to responsible owners, and ignored by the others.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, YOLO said:

Yeah, come visit Perth some time.
Our pounds, shelters, and rescue organisations are full to overflowing, and the problem shows no sign of abating.

And fact is that, whilst not ideal, we'd happily adopt a rescue dog in the current climate, but none are remotely suitable.  All the descriptions read sadly the same "can't go to a home that has other dogs, cats, animals, or children"

If one were to do a quick analysis of puppies being offered to sale, between here and on gumtree, majority are from moronic backyard operators, breeding whatever mongrels they could find. 
IF (and it's a huge if) the new legislation could curtail this, it would be a blessing.  But I suspect that this will be just more rules applied only to responsible owners, and ignored by the others.

I lived in Perth and owned a boarding kennel in Banjup (now Treeby) but haven't been there for years.  Just looked at Perth Gumtree and I see a wide variety of cross breeds...but about 1 in 10 could be considered a pig dog.  The only rescue I found was dominated by greyhounds.  Judging by prices, it looks like big mastiff crosses aren't much in demand.

Central registration is the only option that can represent all stake holders as a unit. But not by Govt.

Its a failure of current registries that Govt. has been forced to take on that role, and it will be  ineffective. A government registering body gives no direction or responsibility to its membership. It does not represent its membership, only set their limitations.

The term 'registered' was not misappropriated. It has a meaning that is being used entirely appropriately. I agree with Anne, that ANKC needs to change their language to avoid confusion.

A 'Mongrel Pedigree' and central registering body "owned" and operated by its constituents would be far more effective tool to return Dogs to their rightful place as part of our communities, not organizations with distinct agendas and objectives. 

A member owned central register would be best placed to foster expectations and responsibility, with out the need for ever more restrictive legislation that is the only option without it.

A Pedigree is pretty useful to breeders trying to achieve more than random dogs. Encouraging its application to Mongrels would seem a sensible way to vastly reduce the random  misbegotten and encourage  more thought and purpose.

Instead of increasing the costs of registering entire dogs with council, it could be conditional on DNA testing for breed and health with results tied to microchip details and publicly available.

Bottom line, a member owned central register is needed, to unite people under the  common purpose of having Dogs in our lives, before we can properly formulate the expectations and responsibilities that come with that. It can only work though if its representative, not restrictive.

Legislation does not cause responsibility, it can only limit our ability of response.

Canine organizations with arbitrary objectives  are the reason it can't be had without a central register now.

Edited by moosmum
  • Like 1

On 12/2/22 at 10:27 AM, sandgrubber said:

I lived in Perth and owned a boarding kennel in Banjup (now Treeby) but haven't been there for years.  Just looked at Perth Gumtree and I see a wide variety of cross breeds...but about 1 in 10 could be considered a pig dog.  The only rescue I found was dominated by greyhounds.  Judging by prices, it looks like big mastiff crosses aren't much in demand.

I’m in Armadale, just did a search within 50km — mostly super overpriced doodles, aussie x bc, GSDs, mastiff mixes that people haven’t bothered to sterilise and now they’ve had puppies. I know 1 person that hunts pigs, and he certainly isn’t looking on gumtree for dogs. He recently got a new puppy, bred by other hunters from their hunting dogs, word of mouth. It’s not the big issue OP is trying to make it out to be. I haven’t even seen a Bull Arab in about 5 years.